AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In narrowing down the choices for new desktop speakers I have come to a Canada vs. England battle.

I've auditioned the PSB B6 and Paradigm Mini in person, but not at the same shop. I like both well-enough. I wasn't real keen on the sound of KEF, and while B&W are nice, I feel they are somewhat overpriced and liked the sound of the Paradigm's better in an A/B comparison. There is no place in my area where I can audition Monitor or Wharfedale speakers.

My use:
  • Near-field (desktop / office)
  • Low to mid volume
  • Wide variety of music
  • Receiver: Luxman R-113 (a very strong 35wpc)
  • I will be getting a new sub of equivalent quality.

The competitors:
  • PSB Image B6
  • PSB GB1
  • Paradigm Mini Monitor
  • Monitor Audio S2
  • Wharfedale Diamond 9.2
  • Wharfedale Diamond 10.2

I've had some discussion that indicated the lower level Monitor (BX-2) can feel a bit bright - that's not my cup of tea. That said, I've seen some reviews that the S2 is a great speaker and quite revealing - warm to some, bright to others. I'm tempted to jump on it because I can get a great price on a brand new pair.

If these are all at the same price, or within $100, I'd like opinions on which speaker might fit best for my situation.

(I realize the Diamond 9.2 can be had for less, but if I have the budget for better why not get it, but if they would be good enough...)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have a problem if the item has a decent return policy. Eating return shipping a few times wouldn't be fun, but if that's what it takes...

The S2's however, are not returnable - I asked. I could probably resell them though.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
How much are you talking about for the Monitor Audio S2? That speaker was first released around 2002/2003, and it hasn't been made since about 2006, so it's not a very recent design (the RS series followed the S series, and now the RX series has replaced those).

The S2 has a nicer build than the PSBs you're talking about - real wood veneer vs vinyl veneer. And overall it's a pretty good speaker. Many Monitor Audio speakers are bright, but this one is not, imo. But it does have some flaws (there are a couple of low-treble resonances that come from the woofer cone and are sometimes audible, depending on the music being played). The Stereophile measurements of this speaker ( http://www.stereophile.com/content/m...r-measurements ) show these resonances well in the freq resp plot and in the waterfall.

The PSB definitely measures better and is a newer design.

The Monitor Audio should be significantly less than the $500 that the PSB Image B6 retails for.

If you're talking $300 or less for the S2 vs. $500 for the PSB B6, it's a tough call. If you're talking more than that for the S2, I'd go for the B6.

I'm not familiar with the others on your list.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
More suggestions

zieglj01

I'm gathering that the Evo is the top of the Wharfedale line, correct?

schan1269

Those Monitor Golds sure are pretty, but can a speaker that is 10-20 years old be expected to keep up with newer, but lower priced, models?

I am hoping to get feedback on the PSB Image B6 vs. GB1, of the feel of the Monitor S2.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhack1639 /forum/post/20776502

More suggestions

zieglj01

I'm gathering that the Evo is the top of the Wharfedale line, correct?

schan1269

Those Monitor Golds sure are pretty, but can a speaker that is 10-20 years old be expected to keep up with newer, but lower priced, models?

I am hoping to get feedback on the PSB Image B6 vs. GB1, of the feel of the Monitor S2.

I don't always put a lot of stock into reviews, but I think the Stereophile review of the S2 (that I linked) is a very good description of that speaker.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
Can an "old speaker" keep up with new?

Of course they can.

The BIC DV62(if you count the V62 as well) has been in continuous production for 30+ years.

My OHM Walsh 5/3 series I are still great speakers. The only thing the Series 2 did(besides the cabinet change) was upgrade the crossover with materials that weren't around when the series I were made. The 5 and 3 are still both made(albeit as X000 model numbers). The tweeter(I think) has never changed. The woofer and crossover have.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My music tastes really are varied, but tend towards electronic, rock, & vocal-acoutsic. Little true jazz or classical. I would rather not audition something that is not well rounded and capable of playing whatever I throw at it reasonably well.

Here are the specific prices I'm looking at:
  • PSB B6 (current): $499 list or $399 special.
  • PSB GB1 (2007, new old stock): $499 I think this was positioned higher than the Image line from both a technical and visual standpoint, but it looks very similar. Special from SaturdayAudio. Beautiful piano black finish. MSRP was 1k+. Review
  • Monitor S2 (2003 new old stock): $400 with warranty.
  • Whaferdale Diamond 9.2 (2006 new old stock): $289
  • Whaferdale Diamond 10.2 (current): $489 I really like the look with the grills off.
  • Whaferdale Evo2-10 (current, high-end?): $399 for demo model. Light Maple finish only (not my first choice).
  • I've also found a mint pair of Paradigm 7se MkII on CL for ~$200.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djhack1639
Thanks for the little lesson schan1269
Even with warranty, I think $400 is a little high for the S2 given that it's now two generations old. It was selling for that price at some authorized dealers back in 2006, when the S series was replaced by the RS series and dealers were getting rid of old stock.

Of the two PSB models, I haven't heard the GB1 series, but I think they initially cost more than the Image series mainly because of the cabinet cosmetics. I can't really comment on their sound quality vs. the Image series.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
If you are thinking PSB, consider the new Imagine Mini.

Also, contact Jim Salk at Salk Sound. He has some nearfield desktops not on his pricelist that might fit.

Which Kefs did you try? I have 2001 in my computer 2.1 and they sound really good.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240
If you are thinking PSB, consider the new Imagine Mini.

Also, contact Jim Salk at Salk Sound. He has some nearfield desktops not on his pricelist that might fit.

Which Kefs did you try? I have 2001 in my computer 2.1 and they sound really good.
I spent some time comparing the KEF Q100/300 with the PSB B5/B6. They both have their strengths, but I think I prefer the PSB's.

beaveav

Thanks, I'll cross the S2 off the list.

schan1269

I would not say the 7se MKII is that bad looking. It may be a bit of a pig, but pigs grow up to become bacon, and I love bacon. Bacon makes everything better.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick240
Did you consider the DefTech Studio Monitors? They might be good for a 2.1.
I did not. I wasn't aware of the line, and I don't anyplace in my area carries them. The specs look nice, but I'm seeing over $600/pair - too high.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djhack1639
I did not. I wasn't aware of the line, and I don't anyplace in my area carries them. The specs look nice, but I'm seeing over $600/pair - too high.
Where are you at? Amazon has the SM350 at $500 and the SM450 at $660 (but they are on sale on Amazon, from TRSales for $400).

But tough to buy something you've never heard.

What are you size constraints?

Have you looked at NHT Absolute Zero (or Classic 2 if you can go bigger)?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.