AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With an antenna I am able to get sometimes 4 or 5 Canadian Analog Channels. Do Canadian broadcasters brodcast an HDTV signal that I would be able to pick up with a Dish6000?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I believe that the Canadians are still working on the allotment plan. As far as I know there has only been some preliminary testing.

·
Registered
258 Posts
There has been a bit of testing in Toronto and Ottawa with a test transmitter. CITY TV in Toronto is supposed to go live in January on channel 53. I'm not sure what power they're going to be using. The rest of the stations are a few years away, unless the US transition speeds up considerably.

The only incentive the Canadian broadcasters have is the simsub rule, which allows a Can. station to be inserted over a US station on cable and sat. if the same program is being carried, and only if the Can. feed is of a equal or greater quality. If more HD feeds start showing up, and the Canadian stations aren't broadcasting HD, then no simsub.

Right now that's not a big deal, but hopefully as more HD sets are sold it will become a bigger deal and force the Canadian broadcasters to start the conversion.

In short I think it's going to be a couple of years and for now I'll be getting my HD OTA from south of the border:D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.