AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the USA and am thinking about trying to buy a Sony DVPNS708H from Canada (so I can have Divx support). Does anyone know if it would be fully compatible (as far as BRAVIA Sync goes) with a new USA Sony TV?

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
I would think?? if using HDMI they would be compatible, but it's only a guess. I purchased a Canadian Panasonic DVDR and it synced with my Sony LCD and of course my US Sony 700 DVD player also syncs quite nicely with my US Sony TV. My testing tells me the Sync compatibility seems to be pretty universal. Again this is just a educated guess. My US Panny DVDRs w/HDMI also sync with the Sony LCD.

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
I have a question about this player. A friend of mine has one hooked up to a Samsung 4663 DLP, and playing back any Divx video results in the picture looking a bit squished, like the wrong aspect ratio. I've tried every setting on the DVD player and TV I can think of, but all Divx videos do not look right. Anybody have this problem?

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
If the Divx is 16:9 material but doesn't have the 16:9 bit set there is a setting on the Sony to fill 16:9 screen with 4:3 format. It basically stretches the image back to the correct proportion. I use it all the time with my home recorded WS DVDs that don't have the bit set. Otherwise digital TVs usually have a setting to stretch to fit, that would work too. Are your Divx DVDs 16:9 material, and I'm assuming you're talking about horizontal squishing or vertical stretching, is that what you're talking about? Tall skinny people.

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
The video should be 2.40:1 but it looks more like 3.40:1. A 1.85:1 AR looks more like 2.40:1. This happens with all the Divx files.

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
In the setup how is your player set for 4:3 source. If set to full you will get the stretching you're describing, that is if the WS bit is not set on your DVDs. I'm sorry I don't use Divx so I'm just going on how regular DVDs work/look in relation to that setup feature.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.