AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching trying to find a place to buy theater shield in Canada. Anyone know of a place?

Wes

·
Registered
718 Posts
I'm in Calgary and still searching. I would like to get my hands on some here pretty soon. So far no luck. A Johns Manville distributor I spoke to said he could order Insulshield (not TheaterShield) but not in the small quantity (300-400 sf) I want. He suggested calling some drywall contractors. I also have Revy looking into it for me. They have it in their catalog but no price etc.

Apparently there is a similar product put out by Owens Corning (which more places seem to carry around here) and I recall seeing a post on this forum. However, my searching hasn't unearthed the product name. Anyone else remember what it is?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Keep searching, I'll do the same.

Are you in the construction phase right now? I will be in about a month.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mooneyass
I've been searching trying to find a place to buy theater shield in Canada. Anyone know of a place?

Wes
Second that. A discussion of viable alternatives complete with manufacturer and product name would also be most welcome.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Just heard back from Revy here in Calgary. (now called Rona Revy, possibly just Rona in eastern Canada?). JM Insulshield can be special ordered. One inch thickness is $76.11 per bag (144 sf per bag, I'm guessing 4' wide x 36' long roll). I didn't ask about other thicknesses but sounds like they are available also.

Mooneyass, I am doing a "rebuild" of an older 70's style basement development. Just getting started now so will be in need of the Insulshiels in about a month or so.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Scrimpin

Thanks for the info, very appreciated. Are you going to be getting some?

12 x 20 theatre, wadaya figure a guy would use?

PS: you're not going to remove the wet bar are you :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey fellow Calgarians.

I too have been looking for TheaterShield with no luck. The closest I came was a product called R30 which is (from the mouths of the John-Mansville folks in Canada) equivalent to TheaterShield. However it is sold in sheets rather than in a roll. Steeles in Calgary sells it. Quite expensive though.

I think I'll contact Rona Revy and order some TheaterShield.

I only need about 100 square feet.

Thanks for the lead on Rona Revy.

·
Registered
718 Posts
FunBoy, I've replied to your PM about Revy sounding 'confused'. Now that I see your post here, I think it may be because you are asking for TheaterShield. That product is no longer made. The replacement for that is InsulShield which is what the folks at Revy quoted for me. I think if you call them back and ask for InsulShield they will be able to help.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mooneyass

12 x 20 theatre, wadaya figure a guy would use?

My theater will be about 13 x18. I am figuring on about 250-300 sf to do the 3 walls half way and the front wall so I will likely buy 2 bags (288 sf).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey Guys, is the stuff from Revy comparable to that SelectSound by OC? Do you apply it on the lower half of the side walls only? Is the whole wall overkill? What do you use to secure and trim it? I am getting close to starting a new house and this would help for down the road. Has

anyone installed it yet? Thanks,

Jason.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Jas1, my plan is to completly cover the front wall with InsulShield and then cover with fabric. I'm going to staple the fabric to the backs of 1" lumber that will screw into drywall.

I plan on cutting the InsulShield into 2' x 2' pieces that I will then create panels from, covered with GoM which I will mount in strategic locations for first level reflection absorption on the side walls and rear walls.

If you want to apply it to the side walls, you only need to do ear-level and down. Do no cover the top half.

As for comparing it to OC, I have no experience or knowledge of that.

·
Registered
718 Posts
A question on thickness. I have seen where some use a 1" thickness and others use a 2" thickness. Is it necessary or advantageous to go 2" instead of 1" or is it unnecessary ???

·
Registered
236 Posts
You can also use Johns Mansville Permacoate Linacoustic which is available up here and has very similar acoustic properties to Theatershield. Its what I used on my walls and seems to work exceptionally well. If you do a search you should find some threads comparing the two products.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Thanks Andrew, by the way, what thickness did you go with, 1" or 2" ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.