AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for information on the experiences of any Canadians buying from U.S. online dealers. Prices I've found are so much higher up here.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I don't have experience with ordering a plasma from the 'States, but I have ordered many other items online from there. One thing to watch out for (especially for big ticket items) is the customs "brokerage" charge that mysteriously appears on many bills (this is separate from the shipping charge). Many US online retailers aren't aware of the extra 'ding' we sometimes get for shipping the item across the border. I have found that FedEx doesn't charge the brokerage fee, but UPS does.

BTW, I'm going to get my plasma from a B&M here in the city. I like having a "wringable neck" nearby if something goes wrong. Also, since I'm considering a Pioneer, their Canadian HQ are literally on the way to my in-laws' house in Markham, Ontario.

Ross in Toronto

·
Registered
749 Posts
I bought a Panasonic TH-42PHD6UY from PlasmaConcepts. They expect to be paid by certified check or bank wire for Canadian orders. Since they are a forum sponser and others here have given good reviews I wasn't concerned about this. I ordered from Aric who was informative and quick to respond to my queries.

Shipping to Saskatoon was $250 USD via Danzas. I think it was shipped from Poulsbo, WA. Danzas brought it to Calgary then gave it to another company that held the package in bond until it cleared customs. I got a call from the Saskatoon office, picked up the paperwork and took it to customs and had it cleared in half an hour. The shipper delivered it to my home later that day.

Customs charged GST and PST. They also charged 5% duty. The customs officer told me that they didn't charge duty often anymore. They still charge duty for made in Japan products. If the plasma had been made in China there would not have been duty. Considering the cost of the plasma, 5% did not seem like much.

My bank charged $20 CDN service charge and $15 CDN cable cost to send a bank wire. There was a third fee that was charged to PlasmaConcepts account for $15 USD by one of the banks that I did not expect. I paid that with my VISA.

The only other fee I paid was $21 CDN as a sufference charge to the driver. I was told about that when I picked up the customs documents from the shipper.

Be aware that you warrenty is only valid in the US if you buy from the US so you will need to ship your plasma to the manufacturer for warrenty repairs. PlasmaConcepts offers to pay shipping and handle all the details if you plasma fails in the first two weeks.

I spent my spare moments during my Christmas holidays sticking 2x4 wood studs inside the 2x6 steel studs in my wall. The articulating mount is cool. Even more so with a plasma on it!

:cool:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mortys1
check out

www.canadianplasma.ca
I checked out the site. Nicely done site. After currency conversion, the price on a Panny 42 ed was 554 US higher than available online retailers before all those dizzying fees were added ( as mentioned in the next post.)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally posted by Rysa4
I checked out the site. Nicely done site. After currency conversion, the price on a Panny 42 ed was 554 US higher than available online retailers before all those dizzying fees were added ( as mentioned in the next post.)
Unfortunately, for those of us north of the border the Panny 42ed on that site is a very good deal. It is at least 15% less than the pretty good price I got from a local retailer.

For me it is worthwhile to buy from a Canadian company to avoid all the hassles of duty, shipping across the border, U.S. warrantees, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Plasma Extreme (Lisa or Brian), everything went very well indeed and I saved a BUNDLE over buying it in Canada. The exchange rate is very good now, so that is where you can save plus other ways ; ). Monitors do not carry any duty, units with tuners cost 3 or 4% duty I think.

Canadian retailers have not reduced the prices of the electronics due to the exchange rate change so they are making out like bandits and not passing it on to the consumer.

They shipped my unit from Seattle as I am in Kelowna, it only took about 3 days to get to me.

I would do it all over again without question. It's up to you but I would say go for it.

Cheers,

Ben

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently purchased a 50" Panasonic Plasma from Visual Apex. Delivery was within a few days of the order. Very pleasant crew to deal with and quick to resolve any issues that came up.

After paying taxes through customs and with shipping, the end result price was still only 60% of what I would of payed up here in Canada. In fact, I could have picked up an extra 42" Panasonic HD for the bedroom with the difference.

·
Registered
680 Posts
tgrav,

I'm also in Vancouver. What shipper delivered your plasma? Also, what did they say would be the procedure if it was DOA, and how about if you need warranty service 6 months from now? Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There are obviously a number of us in Vancouver that would like to find a way of paying a reasonable amount for a plasma display.

It's hard to believe that there is now such a price difference between the US and Canada.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi all... After months of investigation I ordered a Pioneer 433cmx from an internet company(Homenext which lists on Ebay. ) Because of the mucho $s involved, (and a desire to sleep at night) I followed Ebay's advice and paid through Escrow.com. This company holds your payment until the product is both delivered and checked out before releasing funds to the seller. Homenext handled all the shipping and brokerage transactions in a very efficient and professional manner. I was kept updated of the progress of the delivery with constant emails. All told, the additional fees (shipping, escrow, and brokerage) were much, much less than I would have paid just in PST and GST. and I ended up saving thousands and thousands of dollars even with the Canadian dollar worth less than it has been lately. The product cleared customs in Vancouver and was in my living room carefully tied down to a wooden palate within 2 weeks of order. The downside is the lack of a Canadian warranty, but here in Toronto we are only an hour and a bit drive to Buffalo in the unlikely event the unit misbehaves. So far (touch wood) it has performed magnificently. While I do like to support local sellers I hate the feeling that I am being ripped off for doing so. Recently I was quoted $175 plus tax, locally, for a special 6' cable that I ended up buying off the net for $27 US. All in all, it was one of the smoothest Ebay transactions I have had.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Richard Rachlis:

I also bought from Homenext almost 2 years ago (Pio 503CMX and Faroudja NRS). They were very good to deal with and I saved about 50% compared to buying the same stuff in Toronto. Definitely worth checking out.:D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Look at avdeals.ca. They are affiliated with avdeals.com in US. They have a showroom/office in Oakville which I have been to. I live 10 minutes away. Many of their plasmas have Canadian warranty at good prices (not quite as low as US internet sites).

However, I wanted the Panasonic TH-50PHD6UY, which they did not have in Canada. So they ordered it for me from US at the US price of $6149. Charged me $200 US to get it here, plus GST and PST, but no duties or border hassle. They did it all. Arrived in a week. They give you a 1 month replacement warranty, but after that you are stuck with the drive to Buffalo or wherever the closest Panny repair centre is. (Hope I never find out).

Personally, my comfort level increased greatly by going to their Oakville showroom and seeing an actual bricks and mortar operation.

John Hunt

·
Registered
23 Posts
Oh, by the way, Nolan, you are in Vancouver, my Panny came through Seattle as well, so you might get it quick.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Hmmmm ... avdeals.ca is kinda strange as I recall ...

ie. The Canuck price from the CA website price is way way way higher than the exact same product listed at their usa site (exch rate accounted for) ... while at the same time I believe ALL the product for both CA and usa sites are sourced/shipped from Canada ...

Seems to me that to get a good deal the idea is to pick a product you know they don't have stock (vis a vis the Canadian site) such that they must quote you the "in stock" usa site price ...

Maybe I'm way off and they've changed , but if I could get there usa price (in Canadian equal) here in Canada , they'd have me in a minute.

Sounds like you got the deal most canucks dream of (-;

jls.

·
Registered
23 Posts
jls, I did not find anything strange with avdeals.ca.

They told me that they will order anything from their US site at the US price and the only concern is warranty.

I believe the reason their Canadian prices are higher (though still low for Canada) is simply that they get the Canadian product from Canadian distributors and the Canadian wholesale price is higher (but you do get the Canadian warranty).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.