AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought myself a nice used AE100 but I know that once I get everything in my home theatre working well, I will be thinking of upgrading. In fact, due to my small room size, I am already thinking of upgrading. The reason I'd go for the AE200 is for the easy pixel perfect, and the low cost, while still acheiving better contrast and less screen door, and also a year warranty in the US and zero lamp hours (not a big issue).

Questions:

1) If I bought an AE200 or AE300 from, say, projector people in florida, what would I pay for shipping, taxes and duties? Shipping I can find out about myself, but the taxes and duties are what I need to know.

2) Can I try to have the projector marked as "data-projector-computer-equipment"

3) Also, the Projector People are offering a free "Free Da-Lite DAL93007 37.5 x 67 inch 16:9 matte white wall mount screen with purchase." This is almost exactly the size of screen that will fit in my room (actually could go with 70 inches wide.). Is this screen as good as blackout material?

Thanx for any info.

:)

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
Our dollar is at a 5 year high ... great timing if you want to make a US purchase. A US money order cost me x1.436 Friday from the CIBC. ( It cost me as high as x1.59 in the summer )

If there is any duty, it will be about 4%.

PST & GST are inevitable -> 15%.

Then the shipper will charge brokerage -> UPS will be about $60 Canadian for such a purchase.

Either way, you can't get any deals in Canada, and with our dollar so high, there is no time like the present. That is why a Halo C-2 processor is on its way to me next week :)

- Andy

·
Registered
388 Posts
Andy

Have them call it a "computer display for large venues". The word computer comes first. Try FEDEX rather than UPS. FEDEX includes the brokerage in their shipping fee. You could call to check. There have been a few threads about the UPS brokerage fee ripoff. Also, I heard of two people who had packages from the U.S. sent to their place of work with a business address via FEDEX and somehow somone forgot to charge GST and PST. :D, but you can't count on that.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'm not from Ontario, but I believe Canada Customs applies similar rules throughout the country :) I was not charged any duty on my PJ from the US. The shipper used the "class no." (box 29 on the importation form) 8528.30.2100 and listed it as an LCD projector. I did as always have to pay GST/PST.

UPS did not charge any brokerage fee on the PJ (surprised me!) but they did charge $68 brokerage on my subwoofer. I think it may depend on whether you ship air (brokerage often included in the higher fee) or surface.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I ordered from Japan and when i went to pick mine up there was a 5% duty charge, even though i called Canada Customs before i ordered and asked them about duty, the guy on the phone said if it is for personal use there is no duty. But when i went to pick up there was a 5% charge. I didnt question it too much cause i have heard horror stories about customs.

I think it could be dependant on who you get the day you go pick it up or who looks at the paper work when your projector arrives. You will have to pay taxes regardless.

I saved $2000 grand on my Sony. Every place in Canada wanted between 5600-6500. The latter being from the Sony Store here in Coquitlam Center in BC.

With our Canadian Dollar at a good rate it would be a great time to buy.

Digital

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.