Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.... from PC World.

"One of the biggest hurdles to commercialization for many companies is the length of time the display can be used before its organic structure breaks down, said David Hsieh, an analyst at DisplaySearch in Taiwan. The problem is that the organic layer slowly succumbs to a chemical reaction that eventually renders it useless, he said.

For applications such as cellular telephones and camcorders, the industry is aiming for a lifetime of over 10,000 hours. Most of the prototypes developed so far, Hsieh estimates, have a lifetime of between 6,000 and 8,000 hours.

Eastman Kodak and Sanyo Electric were showing a new 2.16-inch OLED developed by their SK Display joint venture. Sanyo said the display has a lifetime of 5,000 hours measured at full white light, which is its most power consuming state, and will last in average use for between two and five years when used in a digital still camera.

"I think 10,000 hours is easy to achieve but once you get up to above 15,000 hours, the organic layer will have lifetime issues," he said. While a lifetime of 15,000 hours and above is not essential for portable electronics, it is a requirement for displays that will be used as televisions or computer displays.

Finally, the current OLEDs are using every bit as much power as LCD equivalents, which denies those products one of their key advantages in mobile use. That said, the manufacturers are apparently confident the lower power requirements will eventually be borne out.

I am moving the date for commercial availability of a 40" home-theater OLED on my Predict-o-meter (tm) officially to 2008 from 2007-08. I'm not sure where it was precisely, but I want to put it in 2008 now for sure (and the forecast is likely to move further back as time passes, but we'll see).

Mark

·
Premium Member
8,104 Posts
15,000 optimal hours till end-of-life.

Hmmm... That's sure to kill my current 30,000 hours to half-contrast display.

I'm not even sure I'm happy with the prospect of 15,000 till end-of-life for my cellphone!

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
The Blue EL material is the limiting factor here. Green and Red emitters have lifetimes proven to be from 20 – 100K hours depending on the luminance during operation.

There are several techniques being explored that will significantly extend the lifetime of the blue emitter. Even so it will be a great challenge to reach the level of current technology.

Rogo, I think your predict-o-meter is very accurate. Especially when OLED has so much catching up to do.

·
Registered
32,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It would be cool to bioengineer some fireflies that could emit in red, green and blue and make a TV out of that. When one burns out, you get a new one and plug it in.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Thanks for the Heads-up Rogo.

Deeann-

"What's the worry? All we'll need to do is feed the glo-worms every 15,000 hours."

That's a good one! Uranium?

"It would be cool to bioengineer some fireflies that could emit in red, green and blue and make a TV out of that. When one burns out, you get a new one and plug it in."

Crack me up- big time.

Why stop there - train them little suckers to fly in formations and you have a full 3-D holographic type display!:D

·
Registered
32,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You know, after hearing about that poor guy in Florida wiht the bees the other day, I am rethinking the bugs idea.

Mark

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
It is blue that creates the blues for OLED. Apparently it is the blue color emission that has life time issues. From what I read in the SID news page red and green has sufficient life time. OLED will take longer to be competetive for large screens but did anyone seriously believe in a real market presence before the end of the decade.

If you look at the papers for SID 2003 OLED is very mych the focus of intense research.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Pricing could easily close down the "lifetime" issue. After all, if you've got two otherwise equivalent OLED and LCD display to choose between, and the OLED has half the life, but is also half the price, then why would the shorter usable lifetime bother you? In fact, it would be better to get the OLED since you'd be able to buy new gear twice as often while spending the same amount of money (or less if prices drop during the useful life of the display) ;).

We keep hearing about how OLED will be SO much less expensive than LCD, so maybe they'll just rest lifetime expectations with lower pricing.

-dwx

·
Registered
928 Posts
... from PC World.

"One of the biggest hurdles to commercialization for many companies is the length of time the display can be used before its organic structure breaks down, said David Hsieh, an analyst at DisplaySearch in Taiwan. The problem is that the organic layer slowly succumbs to a chemical reaction that eventually renders it useless, he said.

For applications such as cellular telephones and camcorders, the industry is aiming for a lifetime of over 10,000 hours. Most of the prototypes developed so far, Hsieh estimates, have a lifetime of between 6,000 and 8,000 hours.

Eastman Kodak and Sanyo Electric were showing a new 2.16-inch OLED developed by their SK Display joint venture. Sanyo said the display has a lifetime of 5,000 hours measured at full white light, which is its most power consuming state, and will last in average use for between two and five years when used in a digital still camera.

It's one persons view from PC World, not even negative, it's not new news that as of April 2003 OLED's are still being developed. Industry R&D says OLED are on the way. When? we'll see and When is the only real issue. News worthy? My Yawn-O-Meter(TM) ...10...

·
Registered
32,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mattias: Yes, in fact there were a bunch of people around here who thought it would be a year or two. FWIW.

RRhomes: Yawn away. The "one guy" is one of the leading experts on flat panel displays in the industry and knows people at every company that makes them.

I never said they wouldn't make it, just that they are far away.

Dwx: Maybe. But a lot of people would pay 2x the $$$ for 2x the life because it's easier than reinstalling and such. Others love upgrading all the time. :)

mark

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
What's the big deal? OLEDs will be cheap enough so they'll printing them on toilet paper, soup cans, junk mail ["You may have already won! (flash flash)]

So when your display gets too dim, you buy another window shade that it's printed on.;)

Not sure why the Jetsons theme is running through my head...

·
Registered
860 Posts
With plasmas having a 10 year headstart on OLED, if OLED's must be half the price to be competitive, that pushes out the commercial viability date quite a bit. Even if OLED's are supposed to be inherently cheaper to manufacture, it will still take some time after the first generation to get to half the plasma price. Based on what I am seeing here, 2009-2010 wouldn't surprise me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.