AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just canceled my Rocket 850 order after waiting 3 months for them to come in with the date getting pushed back every month. After getting the last email saying the weren't going to be coming in until September 15 (supposedly) I decided to cancel my order and start looking for a different pair of speakers.


I was wondering if any of you audiophiles on this forum could point me toward a pair of speakers similar to the rockets staying within/around $1,200? Last time I was looking for speakers was about 3 months ago (when I originally purchased the speakers) and don't really remember what I was looking at. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.


If it matters, I have an Onkyo TX-SR607 receiver and have an 18" elemental design sub.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,244 Posts
The Axiom recommendation seems like a really good one if you are looking for ID only brands. Would be on my short list for sure.


Here are some B&M offerings I'm most familiar with too:


PSB Image T65 (sound incredible....not as good looking of a cabinet as the Rockets or Axioms though).


Polk Audio LSi15


I'm sure lot's more recommendations are forthcoming.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm thinking about the Axiom m60s and also those used rocket 750s the guy is selling on Audiocircle. I'm worried about the Axioms being too short however. And I am also a little hesitant towards the rockets because of how much that guy has dropped the price in one week. Those rockets do look really good though.


I'm still open to suggestions from anyone.


As for the sub, it's in a 5 cubic foot, ported box. The bass is bangin. It'll blow the back of your head off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,466 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper74137 /forum/post/16991420


Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm thinking about the Axiom m60s and also those used rocket 750s the guy is selling on Audiocircle. I'm worried about the Axioms being too short however. And I am also a little hesitant towards the rockets because of how much that guy has dropped the price in one week. Those rockets do look really good though.


I'm still open to suggestions from anyone.


As for the sub, it's in a 5 cubic foot, ported box. The bass is bangin. It'll blow the back of your head off.

Do you have any pictures of the subwoofer for everyone to see? Also, what rear speakers are you going to be using with this setup?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
574 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper74137 /forum/post/16991420


Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm thinking about the Axiom m60s and also those used rocket 750s the guy is selling on Audiocircle. I'm worried about the Axioms being too short however. And I am also a little hesitant towards the rockets because of how much that guy has dropped the price in one week. Those rockets do look really good though.


I'm still open to suggestions from anyone.


As for the sub, it's in a 5 cubic foot, ported box. The bass is bangin. It'll blow the back of your head off.

Why are you hesitant towards the Rockets? Just because the guy dropped the price? He may just need some quick cash or needs to get them out of the way to make room for something different. How about emailing him and asking some questions. BTW, I've owned some 750's with the Ninja mod. The mod itself is worth $400-500. They were a very nice sounding speaker. Unfortunately, we moved and our decor changed so i sold them. A good friend has some Axiom 60's. I have heard them many times. The 60's and

750's sound different. Not sure what sound you are after.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge /forum/post/16992122


NHT Classic Fours - A higher quality speaker for the money than the Rockets or Axiom.


$1500 shipped here:
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....---NEW---save-


+1


I'll also add:


Paradigm Studio 60 (used)

Monitor Audio RS6

Vandersteen 1C

Salk Sound HTS series

Salk Sound SongSurround I's or II's

B&W 684's or 683's


Is this only for Home Theater, or is music your forte as well?
 

·
The Village Idiot
Joined
·
9,711 Posts
Too bad your AVR won't handle 4 ohm loads.

8.3s
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance /forum/post/16993963


+1


I'll also add:


Paradigm Studio 60 (used)

Monitor Audio RS6

Vandersteen 1C

Salk Sound HTS series

Salk Sound SongSurround I's or II's

B&W 684's or 683's


Is this only for Home Theater, or is music your forte as well?

And I shall +1 your recommendations as well good sir.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/16994061


Too bad your AVR won't handle 4 ohm loads.

8.3s

The actuality is that most mid to upper-end AVRs can handle a 4 Ohm load, as long as you aren't trying to fill a large room with high-volume sound. If he keeps the volume level at a reasonable level, he'll only be feeding the speaker a handful of watts which an AVR can handle just fine, even with a 4 Ohm load. And all current AVRs will go into protection mode if they are asked to put out more power than they can provide. If this happens, just turn the volume down a bit and carry on. And in the future, if he wants to push the speakers harder, just get an outboard amp.
 

·
The Village Idiot
Joined
·
9,711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge /forum/post/16994541


The actuality is that most mid to upper-end AVRs can handle a 4 Ohm load, as long as you aren't trying to fill a large room with high-volume sound. If he keeps the volume level at a reasonable level, he'll only be feeding the speaker a handful of watts which an AVR can handle just fine, even with a 4 Ohm load. And all current AVRs will go into protection mode if they are asked to put out more power than they can provide. If this happens, just turn the volume down a bit and carry on. And in the future, if he wants to push the speakers harder, just get an outboard amp.

True.


I used an Onkyo 506 to drive my 8.3s and ERD surrounds - 4 ohms - and the AV123 RSC200 8 ohm center when my Onkyo SC885 needed to be replaced. For three weeks I used it for 2 channel and for 5.1 movies - it did a great job and I didn't baby it. It did get a bit warm at times but never went into protection mode.

The 506 is no powerhouse.

I added that about 4 ohm loads because someone always jumps on me for recommending 4 ohm speakers to match up with an AVR.


You and I know better - many do not.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance /forum/post/16995024


I never understood why Onkyo's most affordable model lacks preouts. Most lower cost receivers from the other major vendors have them. That's just too bad...


+1


So the buyer will have to move up to get the preamp outs?
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top