AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HDNet seems to have become the cemetery for short lived series. Here are some cancelled HD shows I'd really like to see:

1) Miracles: take X-Files and replace UFO and government conspiracy with God (the Devil?) and possible end-of-days battle. The show was a little too dark (does the msg say "God is now here" or "God is nowhere") and the hero a bit too glum (maybe they should've given him a pretty redheaded sidekick lol). It didn't help that it came a bit too early to cash in on the renewed interest in this sort of shows. (Show was in HD though I didn't have HD back then.)

2) The Inside: there's still a small chance Fox may choose to air the remaining filmed episodes but it's not looking good. This may look like yet another police procedural but the off-kilter characters and plots make it my favorite new series this year.

3) Wonderfalls: I think this show was in HD or at least WS. Like Firefly, another killed-too-soon and much lamented show from Fox. Sort of a slacker version of Joan of Arcadia. Depending on your temperament, you may think it's wonderful or just too clever/precious.

(big drop off here)

4) Point Pleasant: billed as Buff meets the OC. It's not as good as either. I didn't care for the heroine, who is pretty but bland and passive -- damning traits when you're Rosemary's baby. Despite being co-created by a Buffy alumnus, it didn't have any of that show's gallows humor. But, the plot did start to pick up and got interesting, and Fox cancelled it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Threat Matrix from ABC.

This series may have been just a little ahead of it's time, but I'd like to see it in HD (since my local affiliate wasn't airing HD at the time).

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I miss(ed) Veritas: The Quest - was on ABC about same time as Miracles was. I know there were few shows actually produced (like Haunted), but I'd like to see those shows again and the shows I missed the first time around.

Also, this series probly was not produced in HD or HD-mastered, but I would love to see what SeaQuest DSV would have looked like in HD (if possible).

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
eyes: show this with the Fugitive and Boomtown! Tim Daly/MYKELTI/ block:)

Medical Investigation: show this with eyes, fugitive, boomtown. Add NEAL McDONOUGH to the Tim Daly/MYKELTI/ block!

keen eddie: i know it's been on other networks but because of Jude Law, SIENNA is hot right now!

joan of arcadia: since barth mentioned it

tru calling: fun show would look nice in HD.

·
Registered
742 Posts
My list in order:

1) Fastlane

2) Summerland

3) LAX

4) Happy Family

5) Threat Matrix

6) Hawaii

7) True Calling (Only because Eliza is so hot)

8) Whoopi

9) Medical Investigation

·
Registered
121 Posts
Barth, I see we have similar tastes.

One thing I can say about Miracles is that Touchstone or ABC (the latter reportedly said this, but the former should be the proper authority) told Shout Factory (the company who released the DVD set a few months ago) that the HD masters "aren't at the best of quality" and were not made available. That statement still doesn't quite make sense to me, so I just assume that HD masters were not struck for the episodes that were not aired in this country. That is the reason why the episodes are in 4x3 on those disks. In either case, that makes it a bit more costly venture for HDNet if they were to try to acquire the HD broadcast rights.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...light=Miracles

Point Pleasant might be in a similar boat. A few foreign networks (E4 in the UK, another in Sweden) have tried to air the entire series in 4x3 SD and were forced to end their runs early due to the fact that SD PAL masters of the last few episodes were not ready for distribution. However, since the upcoming DVDs are supposedly widescreen copies of the episodes, one has to assume that HD masters probably were struck for the unaired episodes. In any case, the series took far too long to get interesting and is probably not a optimal choice for any network.

I would expect that Fox will pull the normal network trick and require anyone trying to broadcast The Inside to pay them loads of cash until their broadcast contract expires. Wonderfalls would be a perfect choice for HDNet IMHO (short, self-contained arc, not really mainstream), though there were some moderate framing issues in the HD broadcast master for "Pink Flamingos" (DVDs were zoomed in at the appropriate moments to remove the glitches).

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Push NV - All seven episodes:)

American Gothic

Brimstone

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
what was the show with Chris Elliot on fox over 10 years ago where he was a paperboy and lived with his parents? I'd love to see that

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
breedingamies it was "Get a Life" I have like 8 episodes recorded on EDBeta.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by breedingamies
what was the show with Chris Elliot on fox over 10 years ago where he was a paperboy and lived with his parents? I'd love to see that
"Get A Life" - One of my all time favorites!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD
I would add: Fast Lane, and John Doe. Two more cancelled FOX shows.
Don't they show Fast Lane on PAX (i TV)? I saw it on my local PAX, LA 30 (I BELIEVE). I don't think it was the D* PAX feed. :confused: :)

-- Matthew

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANSEK
My list in order:

1) Fastlane

2) Summerland

3) LAX

4) Happy Family

5) Threat Matrix

6) Hawaii

7) True Calling (Only because Eliza is so hot)

8) Whoopi

9) Medical Investigation
ANSEK,

"Happy Family," someone else with great taste (LOL). I heard the show did good in the ratings. I was surprised NBC cancelled it. The funny thing about the show is that it was a mirror image of my family. Well, that and "COMPLETE SAVAGES." :D Thanks.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Dragnet.

I did not have an HD set when it aired for a season and a quarter. There are several episodes in the can that were never aired, unless USA broadcast them under the radar.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele-TV
ANSEK,

"Happy Family," someone else with great taste (LOL). I heard the show did good in the ratings. I was surprised NBC cancelled it. The funny thing about the show is that it was a mirror image of my family. Well, that and "COMPLETE SAVAGES." :D Thanks.
I was shocked NBC cancelled the show as well. If the show was on another network it would still be on the air. NBC seems to cancel fringe shows. Do you remember "Three Sisters"? That was another fringe show with decent ratings which was cancelled too early.

·
Registered
955 Posts
odyssey 5

·
Registered
978 Posts
Wonderfalls

The Inside

Firefly

The X-Files Seasons 5-8

Karen Sisco (although I guess U-HD has this wrapped up)

Dragnet (never watched it but sounded good)

Line of Fire (two unaired episodes I believe)

24 (would never happen though)

Cheers (Ive heard these are available in HD yet Ive never seen them anywhere)

·
Registered
955 Posts
oh, wait, I misread the post - I thought it was canceled shows you'd like to see brought back to life on HD-Net, not canceled shows you want to see reruns in HD.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.