AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're up to 12 members and 134 days of cpu time. Kudos to everyone (listed here that's contributed and to Chivs and Bernd for bringing this to our attention, and to AVS members participating through other teams.

§ Caveat

Don't install on your organization's computers without your manager's prior written permission (if email, print it). So doing would be abusing company resources. Don't get fired!

http://www.ud.com/about/img/banner_vypc_fff.gif

§ How?

To join the AVSforum team, go here and select Download in the lower left.

§ What?

Oxford University (UK) is employing distributed computing (Ã* la [email protected] ) to accelerate the development and testing of drugs for life-threatening diseases like cancer. National Foundation for Cancer Research (US) funds the project. Intel is a sponsor. United Devices (US) provides the infrastructure.

Even if you don't leave your computer on all the time or have a slow computer, please consider helping. Every spare processor cycle benefits the cause.

I created an FAQ . If you have questions or need help after reading the FAQ and its links, post here or try this UD forum .

In time I will post this elsewhere on AVS. I welcome comments and suggestions.

I hope more AVS members consider joining this worthy cause.

..Mike Smith

------------------

Newbie snacks in xcel's HTPC FAQ & Favorites ¤ Ron Jones ¤ DC ¤ Radeon ¤ Keohi HDTV ¤ Don O'Brien D-ILA and the oft-mentioned archives .

Join AVSforum team to help Scotty (son of AVS moderator) fight leukemia.

[This message has been edited by miksmi (edited 05-06-2001).]

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
Make that 16 members...

Kal

------------------

BarcoGraphics 800 ([email protected])

Silent HTPC DVD (RF modified GeForce2, Audiophile 24/96 for S/PDIF out)

8' wide 1.4 gain 16x9 painted fabric screen

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm in.

·
Registered
848 Posts
After running independently for 18 cpu days, I've joined the AVS team.

Unfortunately, none of my earlier credits carry over, I see.

But the significant prize will be a cure, right?

-yogaman

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yogaman, Thanks for joining; it's fun to track the AVS contribution as a team. I realize this isn't important to you but the points and 18 cpu days remain credited to you. You're right on two fronts: 1) the cpu time doesn't transfer to the AVS team and 2) the significant prize will be a cure.

We're up to 27 members (not including the 2 that retired). I noticed David Bott and tommyboy2 joined. Thank you everyone.

..Mike

[This message has been edited by miksmi (edited 04-30-2001).]

·
Registered
152 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Ok, after contributing over 2000 points to another team, I'm on the AVS team now. I have 2 computers connected, soon to be 4.

------------------

-Mark

------------------------

-- Yes I'm an addict. --

-- I bought a Color --

-- Analyzer for --

-- 'personal use' --

------------------------

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi All:

___David asked if we could come up with a Banner ad on this. If any of you are artists (unfortunately, I am not …), please give it a shot? His spec’s are as follows:
Quote:
It will require a 460x60 banner. If anyone cares to make one or more, please send it to me at [email protected] and I will start it running. It will link to the AVS Team page if that is a good place for it to go to.

Anyways, lets see what happens.
___Thank you

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

------------------

New E-Mail address for the time being ... [email protected]

·
Registered
552 Posts
I added my machine, and will add my new one if it ever clears customs both ways....How do I get the status of what's happening at any time on my machine?

------------------

gordf

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Gordf:

___You will see a blue KB icon in your system tray. Double click on it and a menu will pop up. The first one is pertinent with how far the current project has advanced as well total points and CPU time … Click on the i and you will see the molecule being worked on. I can leave this run through a DVD under Windows 2000 without problems but to be on the safe side, you probably should shut it down under Millennium specifically when playing back DVD’s. Snooze does not shut it down for good but for the time you set it up to stop the calculation only. After that period of time, it will again start calculating. Clicking on Exit will shut it down and you should immediately relaunch the UD project immediately after your DVD is through. It works in the background and the only way you know it is running is when taking a look at CPU utilization. You will see that it stays pegged at 100% and your conformer counts are still racing up the percentage scale. Oh, your CPU temp will be a bit higher than normal given it is being pushed hard as well http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

------------------

New E-Mail address for the time being ... [email protected]

·
Registered
421 Posts
Just joined in yesterday, with one computer for now. My HTPC is still a bit unstable (I hope that a new power supply will solve that), but should come on line soon.

I wish there was such a program for reaserch on diabetes too.

Regards, Leszek.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Been busy the past couple of nights but I will get to a banner this weekend... Anyone else out there making one too?

Brad

·
Registered
701 Posts
Just one question Miksmi,

How on earth are you configuring your system to get so many points for each unit?

Chivs

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Andrew!

Notice I have many points, few results. My firm has some old, slow machines (300MHz PII, 433MHz Celeron/64MB RAM (!), I forget how many) on a moderately fast connection (DS0 a.k.a. T-1) and my home machine (433MHz Celeron/64MB RAM) connects via a cable "modem". UD might weight "overall performance" in favor of a fast connection. A bug IMO.

Also, per UD forum posts, network performance is evaluated after each completed work unit uploads. If the UD server is heavily loaded, the network score lowers.

Currently we have 34 members returning results, plus 6 inactive. Inactive members may have dropped out, might have a LRM (Long Running Molecule, formerly MFH, molecule from, erm, Hades - not my appellation) that needs multiple days to process, or have ISP problems preventing upload. I've been processing a MFH (I assume) on 850MHz PIII, 256MB RAM for 70 hours (!) with THINK 1.03c.

I hope others consider David Bott's request to create a banner to promote the project all over AVS. Otherwise, the pressure's on, Brad http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

..Mike

[This message has been edited by miksmi (edited 05-09-2001).]

·
Registered
421 Posts
Mike,

Could you plaease explain to me what is happening?

I have joined the AVS Team couple of days ago. This morning my computer returned the first results and gained some points (now it is working on a second task). However, even though my name is listed in the AVS Team and noted as "active", the points and the returned result is not shown. When I go on UD members page, I see the points, I also see that I am in AVS Team, but the result and points are not contributed to the team.

What am I doing (did?) wrong? How can I make my points be counted for the Team? Will the next returned result be contributed to me only again?

What do I need to do to change this?

Leszek.

[This message has been edited by Leszek (edited 05-04-2001).]

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.