AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the HD2xxx and HD3xxx ATI cards could only stream the same audio formats as SPDIF. This means that it could only send 5.1 streams if they were encoded on Dolby Digital or DTS.

In HDMI 1.3 enabled video cards (or IGPs), Dolby or DTS encoding isn't necessary because the audio can be sent via LPCM. This means there are no royalties to be payed if a multi-channel stream is sent, right?

Does this mean I can configure the HDMI audio output to 7.1 LPCM in the drivers and the system will recognize 8 different speakers?

If I play a game that supports it, will I have surround sound with 8 discrete channels?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
My experience is everything is passed as multichannel pcm. Windows has control because you can play a 48/16 movie and if windows is set to 96khz the 605 will recognize 96. So for each playback you have to ensure nvidia and windows are set to specs of playback material. Needs more driver work. But I do know, for instance, that for 310/Yuma spdif sounds very good, analog 7.1 is very, very good and 7.1 multi pcm is best. But I'm after the ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3 --where is it?

·
Registered
2,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTTenTranz /forum/post/14280707

Does this mean I can configure the HDMI audio output to 7.1 LPCM in the drivers and the system will recognize 8 different speakers?

If I play a game that supports it, will I have surround sound with 8 discrete channels?

Thanks.

Yes for 4850 not sure others.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
yes all those solutions can do LPCM via HDMI, it's not a 1.3 ver thing, all HDMI 1.1+ cand do 7.1 LPCM.

It just depends on the way the vendor implements HDMI because HDMI has crappy specs that don't require features, only enables their presence.

HDMI 1.3 enables HD-Audio bitstreaming, but currently nothung available supports it. The two HDMI audio cards claim they will support it when released. When will they be released? I don't know.

·
Registered
90 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkc /forum/post/14281050

Yes for 4850 not sure others.

How does this work? I have a Denon 3808 receiver, GA-EP45-DS4P MB and a HT Omega Claro Plus sound card. I have my receiver set to Digital sound (instead of HDMI) as I have the 4850 running HDMI to the Receiver and a Toslink running from the sound card to the tolslink on the receiver. If there a way, without buying new equipment, to get 5.1 surround (not virtual) through only the HDMI cable? If this is the case, do I even need the sound card anymore. Obviously I would rather have just the one HDMI cable. The MB uses the laest RealTek drivers (don't know the number).

Sorry, very new to the HTPC arena and still getting my PC configured.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
The card must be able to pass multichannel LPCM, which if I recall correctly the 4850 can. You just select the HDMI Audio device as the default sound device and all sound which would normally have gone to analog outputs now goes to HDMI, including Windows systems sounds or games or what have you.

That's how it works on the G35, anyway.

·
Registered
100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smburns25 /forum/post/14293766

How does this work? I have a Denon 3808 receiver, GA-EP45-DS4P MB and a HT Omega Claro Plus sound card. I have my receiver set to Digital sound (instead of HDMI) as I have the 4850 running HDMI to the Receiver and a Toslink running from the sound card to the tolslink on the receiver. If there a way, without buying new equipment, to get 5.1 surround (not virtual) through only the HDMI cable? If this is the case, do I even need the sound card anymore. Obviously I would rather have just the one HDMI cable. The MB uses the laest RealTek drivers (don't know the number).

Sorry, very new to the HTPC arena and still getting my PC configured.

I have a Denon AVR2308ci and I'm looking into the 4850 as well but I have heard there is an issue with audio over HDMI. For some reason the ATI card won't pass audio to a Denon reveiver. Some problem with the "EDID", what ever that is. Maybe this is why you can't get audio over the HDMI?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just a follow-up on my last comment...

I purchased the 4850, removed my sound card from the HTPC and I get 5.1 surround over HDMI and it sounds incredible. I have no idea what it is passing through or even how to tell, but purely from a sound perspective, it is awesome.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts