AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

As much as I love my cats, one of them knocked a candle off the top of my tv, and caused the melted wax inside to get all over my Panasonic PT-47WX42(it's about 5 years old). Can anyone recommend me a service provider in the Seattle area that would be able to replace the screen(I mean wax is everywhere on it) and possibly calibrate the set while on site? Thanks!!!!!

PS - Can't believe this happened during the NFL playoffs!

·
Registered
477 Posts
If the wax was not so hot as to melt the screen, I would think it could be removed. For example if you have a covered area that is cold (does not have to be freezing), put the set there for a while and let the wax become more solid and peel it off (be careful not to scratch the screen). I think there are any number of chemical's that will remove any residual wax without hurting the screen (perhaps Goo-Gone or the like), but you need to check that it will not harm plastic.

·
Registered
227 Posts
During my college days, I was away for the weekend and my roommate took it upon himself to light some incense atop my TV. Needless to say, upon my return, there was a bullet sized hole melted into the top of the set.

Gotta love those roommates.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnJ /forum/post/0

...As much as I love my cats, one of them knocked a candle off the top of my tv, and caused the melted wax inside to get all over my Panasonic PT-47WX42(it's about 5 years old).

Have you tried ice cubes? It's an old trick to get candle wax off coffee tables, carpets etc. Hold a cube fresh out of the freezer against a patch of wax for a few seconds and see if the wax can be scraped off with a fingernail or a plastic knife. Will take a while to cover a big area but at least it won't hurt your screen.

·
Registered
477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddisplay /forum/post/0

If the wax was not so hot as to melt the screen, I would think it could be removed. For example if you have a covered area that is cold (does not have to be freezing), put the set there for a while and let the wax become more solid and peel it off (be careful not to scratch the screen). I think there are any number of chemical's that will remove any residual wax without hurting the screen (perhaps Goo-Gone or the like), but you need to check that it will not harm plastic.

I wanted to be clear that you might need to use a wax dissolving chemical to remove any film coating that is left only after removing the bulk wax with a "cold" technique (if the area is small, I would first try the ice cube idea, it is is large then try cooling the whole set). If you dissolve a loarge amount of wax, you will end up with a mess you may never be able to get off. Also, before trying any strong chemical (even Goo-Gone), I would first try soap and water to get ride of any residual coating.

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
I would start off by finding a Panasonic authorized repair shop in your area (check the Panasonic web site or call their support number). Also you may find that the cost to replace the screen is as much as the set is worth (given that its 5 years old and with the falling prices of modern DLP rear projectors that include features, such as HDMI inputs, missing on your older model.

Ron Jones

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.