AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searched the forums pretty hard and couldn't find anything on this. I want to have the JVC change the channel on my DTC100, but can't find anything on if the JVC can actually change the channel to a sub-channel (local hdtv, channel 2-5 for example). Anyone know if this is possible, or can the JVC just change to whole numers (ie 2,3,4,etc).

Thanks

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Big Al: You're in luck. The DTC-100 memory programmer can be programmed to go to any channel whether OTA digital or analog, or DIRECTV. If your digital stations are sending out PSIP data (program info) all you have to do is set the DTC-100 to a specific program. If not, you can set the DTC-100 to go to a specific station at a set time. When you program in a digital station there will be a box where you type in the sub-channel #.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, but I want to be a true geek and be able to record more than just 8 programs. Therefore, I want the DTC100 to have 8 scheduled recordings (and it would tell the VCR to start and stop) and I also want the VCR to have 8 scheduled (and it would change the channel on the DTC100).

I have a feeling it can not, but can the JVC set the DTC100 to a local hdtv subchannel (ie. 2-3)?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
VCR's do control set top boxes. Here's a link to one of the JVC's I was thinking about. They make a couple of different models with this capability, and it's called "cable eye" cable box controller. It also controls Digital Broadcast Satellite receivers. You can definitely control main channels, what I don't know is if it will control SUB-CHANNELS.

http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?model...L026680&page=2

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
No VCR that I have heard of has any ablity to do sub-channels on a STB. In general in a "good" set-up VCRs and STBs are slaved to the A/V receiver AND direct connected to each other to by pass the AVR when programmed to record. Short of some manufacturer building a VCR with an ATSC or directTv tuner built-in, the only use of the VCR timer facility is to turn on the VCR on to record and off to stop recording.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I think you CAN do it this way ... for channel 2-5, have it key in:

0 0 2 5 ENTER

The first three digits will fill the DTC-100's first box that has a 3-digit limit, and it will automatically move to the subchannel box as long as you always key in three digits first and then press enter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RScogland, I agree that that probably would work. Any idea if the JVC's accept 4 digit entries though?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Just to let everyone know.

the JVC "evil eye" (as it is known among the JVC afficianados) is virtually useless.

It works great with 2nd and some 3rd gen DTV/Dish recievers, but, is pretty pointless.

I have both a VHS and S-VHS deck and none of them do 4 digit channels nor can they send the "enter" key.

your screwed. sorry.

Use the DTC-100 (or any RCA DTV rcvr) and its control instead.

The only DTV/DISH setups that work are JVC (of course, but you can actually use the JVC CompuLink cable), Sony, and older RCA sets.

I have spent MANY long evenings trying to merge these 2 elephants into a nice clean pony have have since given up.

Regards,

-Warlock

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.