AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very disappointed to of had just notice my infinity sm152 woofer has a one inch cut. I am pretty sure my grandson got to it the other day when my daughter was washing her car. I just had a long talk with my daughter and explained how upset this makes me. These are basically vintage speakers. My family knows how I feel about all my electronics. Going out of my way to take care of my stuff....then this. Just lack of supervision.

Sorry......just upset.

I cannot hear any rattling or distortion coming from the speaker. Thank god!!

Should I leave it alone? Try n fix it. If so how? Ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
651 Posts
Google "speaker cone repair". There are firms out there that can re-cone and refoam vintage speakers. But don't just fix one, if you find a firm that you're comfortable with to repair them, send both speakers in so that they both get matching upgrades.

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
I would say relax...there are people and then there is stuff! You can fix or replace stuff, but not people!
As pointed out, those things can be fixed!

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Don't worry. It's an easy fix. Silicone is your friend. Just apply with a small brush (front and rear), wait 24 hours and you should be good to go.

Reactions: nalthien

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
These are basically vintage speakers. My family knows how I feel about all my electronics. Going out of my way to take care of my stuff....then this. Just lack of supervision.
Other folks have given you great advice about how to deal with this incredibly unfortunate damage. I'm really sorry to hear--as a parent of a 4 year old and a 1 year old with multiple thousands of dollars invested in my equipment, I have this nagging thought that something is going to happen to my gear every day.

My only (completely unsolicited) statement in response to your post: Make sure your family knows how you feel about them.

Reactions: Elihawk

·
The Village Idiot
9,626 Posts
I've used scotch tape to good effect for small tears or rips from little fingers. Fixed more than a few while raising 2 kids. 'Stuff' happens to material things - I'd be more worried about the possible side effects of my loved ones. Material things can be replaced.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
^ Scotch tape :confused:? Why, when brushing on a small amount of silicone does the job easily and professionally? Clumsy me when I was re-assembling a speaker to the cabinet, my screwdriver slipped and I punched a nice hole into the cone. Silicone came to the rescue. Anyone who makes or repairs speakers always has bottles of silicone handy.

I agree with Knucklehead and others that say this is very unimportant and an easy fix.

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
Kids break stuff. Its part of life. When you were a child you annoyed plenty of people too. My kids have been trained well since birth, but when their wild causins come over we hide the breakables. Dont be so hard on the kid, be hard on the parents. They may be vintage but its not like these speakers were owned by the pope. Just throw a new driver in there, or better yet maybe its a good excuse to upgrade.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree. Silicone has been advised several times on several sites. it has worked for many people. I will try that. thx.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Orange County Speaker Repair, who repairs speakers all over the U.S., are the ones who told me how to repair small tears or, in my case, an accidental hole in the cone. They even handed me a bottle of silicone glue and a brush. Can you use something else? Sure. Some people use Elmer's glue or a different type of glue. Some people have even used duct tape, or has been mentioned here, scotch tape. The idea is to repair the radial crack before it becomes longer with something that is strong and flexible. A large rip in the surround, then I'd suggest re-edging. But the pictures looked to be pretty minor damage.

Anyway, let us know how well you doctored your speaker :).

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
Definitely frustrating. Had some friends over for dinner the other night with a very unruly 3 year old. I caught him running toward my speakers, arm stretched out, finger pointed, and gunning straight for my tweeters. I swooped him up so quickly and played it off like I was giving him an airplane ride. Kid was within inches of his goal. This little wildling was all over the freaking place, even trying to climb behind my TV stand to try and rip out wires. Any time I took my eyes off him for 2 seconds, he was getting into trouble. Parents didn't seem to care. Very annoying.

While kids will be kids and we love them, these events are also a good opportunity to teach them about taking care of things and especially respecting other people's property. Yes, things may be replaceable (even if they are expensive or rare), but that doesn't mean we can let kids run amok around our equipment. I don't care if they're two, three, or any age. Boundaries have to be instilled. When I was a wee one, my parents got a killer Pioneer stereo system with giant towers. I was simply not allowed to touch it. Plain and simple. It was off limits. The whole family got to enjoy many years of great sound out of it, and then they gave it to me when I grew up and got my own place. Used it for many more years. That's what can happen when you teach kids that not ALL things are toys (well not THEIR toys at least), and that they need to be gentle on things or that certain things are just off limits. Would any of you let a kid have their way with your A/V racks?

I know I'm going to get crap for thinking this way, but I just have the opinion that too many parents these days let kids pretty much do whatever they want because we love them so, and stuff is just stuff. NOPE. I don't care if they're my kids or other people's kids. When they're at my house around my equipment, they are simply not allowed to touch it. I just have to lay down the law with visiting kids. We have a LOT of kids come through our place, and all my stuff is amazingly still perfectly intact. They do not get free reign, that's for sure. That all being said, OP. It'll be ok. As long as your daughter is respectful about the whole thing. In fact, she should probably pay for the damage, but that's just what I'd do. If my kids break something at grandma and grandpa's house, you better believe they'd make me pay for it. Haha. That's why I love my parents so much. They instilled high expectations of responsibility from the time we were born.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok guys. I am leaning towards the silicone or soft double epoxy mentioned by slippery. But I will not be fixing it until this coming weekend. work is going to be tough this week. no time. any more advice would be great. thx.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
It's not a big job. Yes, you take out the speaker and unhook the cables. If you don't have a small brush, you can use your finger to smear the silicone on each side of the cone and on the surround. That takes a couple of minutes. Let dry and replace the speaker (make sure you take note of which wire goes where).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts