AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had an Abit IP35 Pro board for a couple years now and have never had a problem. Recently, when I try and get into the BIOS by hitting the DEL key, it just ignores me and proceeds to boot the OS. If I reset the CMOS, I can hit the DEL key and it goes right into BIOS setup. But once I set everything and the computer reboots, I can no longer get in. It's weird. No error messages or anything. I just can't get in.


Please help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,385 Posts
The only thing that comes to mind is pulling the battery and leave it out for like an hour. Unplug your PC when doing this and leave it unplugged until you re seat the battery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,375 Posts
USB Keyboard right? Try a PS2 KB. That being said, I bet when you
Quote:
But once I set everything and the computer reboots, I can no longer get in.

you are changing one of the default bios settings that allows your KB to work. When you reset the bios you are just setting the bios to its default settings.


BB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird999 /forum/post/16969947


USB Keyboard right? Try a PS2 KB. That being said, I bet when you you are changing one of the default bios settings that allows your KB to work. When you reset the bios you are just setting the bios to its default settings.


BB

At first, that's what I thought too. But I've made a point not to touch the USB keyboard option; I believe it's set to BIOS and not OS support. I'll give the PS2 keyboard a shot, I just don't understand why the USB keyboard works after resetting the BIOS. I also forgot to mention that even though the DEL key won't get me in to the BIOS, CTRL-I will get me into the RAID settings, F8 gets me into safe mode, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimo /forum/post/0


The only thing that comes to mind is pulling the battery and leave it out for like an hour. Unplug your PC when doing this and leave it unplugged until you re seat the battery.

Does this have a different effect than resetting the CMOS?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by savaytse66 /forum/post/16970687


At first, that's what I thought too. But I've made a point not to touch the USB keyboard option; I believe it's set to BIOS and not OS support. I'll give the PS2 keyboard a shot, I just don't understand why the USB keyboard works after resetting the BIOS. I also forgot to mention that even though the DEL key won't get me in to the BIOS, CTRL-I will get me into the RAID settings, F8 gets me into safe mode, etc.




Does this have a different effect than resetting the CMOS?

It supplies power to the BIOS eprom and as long as the eprom is powered it won't reset. Sometimes it can take up to 24hrs for it to reset I would leave it out for at least three hrs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,375 Posts

Quote:
It supplies power to the BIOS eprom and as long as the eprom is powered it won't reset. Sometimes it can take up to 24hrs for it to reset I would leave it out for at least three hrs.

Not necessary.


Just unplug ac power and use the cmos reset jumper to reset to default values. If you google you will see a few mentions of this issue with your mobo and USB KBs. This issue appeared and disappeared with different versions of the bios. I have one board that I can't get to the bios with USB KB so I use a PS2 when I need to. What are you doing in the bios so often that this is an issue?



BB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird999 /forum/post/16971329


Not necessary.


Just unplug ac power and use the cmos reset jumper to reset to default values. If you google you will see a few mentions of this issue with your mobo and USB KBs. This issue appeared and disappeared with different versions of the bios. I have one board that I can't get to the bios with USB KB so I use a PS2 when I need to. What are you doing in the bios so often that this is an issue?



BB

Ha. Actually, the last time I was in there (after a CMOS reset), I think I either forgot to enable USB drive boot support or my boot priority has my system drive first. I want to upgrade to Windows 7 and didn't feel like burning a DVD. If the PS2 keyboard doesn't work, I'll just go the DVD route.


Thanks
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top