AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Serious question, is there a 2010 LCD (32-37 inch) that doesnt lag bad for video games?

Im mostly gonna use it for twitch shooters and fighting games (some on the PS2) currently I game on an old CRT and personally I consider myself very sensitive to lag. scratch that, everyone pretty much is when it comes to some games. take BC2 for instance. when someone unloads at you while your shooting at them and you get the kill but your hud is covered in red, you know that even a bit of input lag would have killed you.

I have searched this forum and pretty much everywhere and from what I understand Sony and Samsung tend to suck for imput lag with Sharp and Panasonic leading the pack.

but apparently Sharp isnt putting out sets for this year and Panasonic's 2010 models all suck for imput lag.

so what is left? the ONLY 32-37 inch LCD I can find that might be good based on the imput lag war tests is the Panasonic X2 series. but they only come in 720P, and havent been tested so they could very well lag more for this year.

so should I go for the X2 or wait for the 2011 TVs? and is it true that PS2 games lag more then 360 ones? I would prefer 1080P since I like to watch TV up close (viewing distance will be around 5 feet) and a 37 inch. honestly its disappointing how little options and how big of an issue input lag is...

any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
137 Posts
ive had my vizio for over a year with no problems with lag on modern warfare...my dad has a 55" vizio and all the games my sister plays on there work without lag as well...ive never experienced any kind of lag on any flat screen...the vizio vo370 is a 1080p tv that would work well considering the tv size ur looking for.

·
Registered
137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excellent /forum/post/19511915

Serious question, is there a 2010 LCD (32-37 inch) that doesnt lag bad for video games?

Im mostly gonna use it for twitch shooters and fighting games (some on the PS2) currently I game on an old CRT and personally I consider myself very sensitive to lag. scratch that, everyone pretty much is when it comes to some games. take BC2 for instance. when someone unloads at you while your shooting at them and you get the kill but your hud is covered in red, you know that even a bit of input lag would have killed you.

I have searched this forum and pretty much everywhere and from what I understand Sony and Samsung tend to suck for imput lag with Sharp and Panasonic leading the pack.

but apparently Sharp isnt putting out sets for this year and Panasonic's 2010 models all suck for imput lag.

so what is left? the ONLY 32-37 inch LCD I can find that might be good based on the imput lag war tests is the Panasonic X2 series. but they only come in 720P, and havent been tested so they could very well lag more for this year.

so should I go for the X2 or wait for the 2011 TVs? and is it true that PS2 games lag more then 360 ones? I would prefer 1080P since I like to watch TV up close (viewing distance will be around 5 feet) and a 37 inch. honestly its disappointing how little options and how big of an issue input lag is...

any help would be greatly appreciated.

i also forgot to mention that i played ps one games on my tv as well with no lag.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the input but I was hoping for advice on some 2010 models.

is the Vizio 1080 or 720? and what games did you play on the Playstation?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You'd think I'd post this if I didnt search? check back at my original post. there's a million threads like this partly because of the people who regurgitate the same "do a search, there's tons of threads like these" instead of posting opinions or answers to the question at hand that would later turn up in a future search for others (hence, causing less "help me" threads) not to mention, it's part of what makes a forum useful.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
they dont seem to make those in a 32 or 37 inch size.

might be a little out of my budget aswell.

·
Registered
86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excellent /forum/post/19512237

You'd think I'd post this if I didnt search? check back at my original post. there's a million threads like this partly because of the people who regurgitate the same "do a search, there's tons of threads like these" instead of posting opinions or answers to the question at hand that would later turn up in a future search for others (hence, causing less "help me" threads) not to mention, it's part of what makes a forum useful.

Good luck with that one!

I'm also looking for such a set, but I'd also like it to have natural colors, not the over-saturated, over-contrasted, black-crushed look that seems to be in vogue.

I'd very much prefer natural color over deep blacks and insane contrast.

Oh, and I'd also liked if it could multi-sync to 50Hz and 60Hz to eliminate judder (though I might be in luck for once, as reports have it that most EU panels multi-sync).

I'll probably find it over the rainbow next to a pot of gold.

You might wanna look into the LG-LD450 (IIRC 30-50ms lag, sIPS), Sony Ex400(50ms lag,*VA) and the Ex500(50ms lag, *VA). Numbers are approximate and but might be close.

Can't link to exact posts providing the hard data cause the forum is a mess. Just the Ex500 thread has ~3300 posts and in there somewhere might or might not be some tests posted. It certainly IS NOT in the first post where it should be (at least linked).

After a LOT of searching I managed to find a 4:4:4 test, it's post bloody 2094 int the input lag thread.

I'm also getting tired of wading through tons of posts looking for something that should be printed in the specs sheet.

If you manage to find some relevant data, please put it in the first post, so the next person looking for it has less of a hassle.

Quote:
and is it true that PS2 games lag more then 360 ones? I would prefer 1080P since I like to watch TV up close (viewing distance will be around 5 feet) and a 37 inch. honestly its disappointing how little options and how big of an issue input lag is...

Erm, dunno about the PS/PS2 but if they're not outputting at native resolution and progressive, they might induce additional lag as some post processing will come in play.

If you're gonna stick with 'HD' consoles for gaming, bear in mind that both the 360 and PS3 can only do 720p in games ( I was mightily pissed off when I got my PS3 and found out all the HD hype was...hype)

Well not really true, the PS3 has 15 1080p games (26 in all including PSN games) while the Xbox360 has 5 1080p games .

Have that in mind when deciding between 720p and 1080p screen.

PC games of course run at whatever you let them

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran0909 /forum/post/19512298

I'm also getting tired of wading through tons of posts looking for something that should be printed in the specs sheet.

If you manage to find some relevant data, please put it in the first post, so the next person looking for it has less of a hassle.

+1

You'd think with the popularity of fighting and shooting games along with high resolution video game consoles TV manufacturers would fix the damn imput lag issue.

I dont care if it has jesus-like picture quality or the ability to post minute by minute social BS updates "I dumped johnny" over the internet, just a good full HD set with little to no imput lag.

starting to lean more towards the X2

·
Registered
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excellent
thanks for the input but I was hoping for advice on some 2010 models.

is the Vizio 1080 or 720? and what games did you play on the Playstation?
vizio has some 2010 models on their website that u can check...i believe the m370nv is a 2010 model...they are 1080p...ps one games were, crash bandicoot, marvel super heroes, dino crisis, and rugrats...ps3 games were call of duty modern warfare and black ops, metal gear solid (downloaded), madden 10, and others i can remember...wii games were rock band, wii sports, metroid, mario galaxy, marip parties, price is right, press your luck...i cant remember all the games but i do remember never experiencing any lag.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
the part I regurgitate over and over and over is you guys are to focused on the one point and spec and fail to see the whole picture.

If yu want to play comeptative matches get a pc monitor. Otherwise playing in the open internet you are playing other people on TV's for the mass amount of players.

Most of these palyers are on Sammy and Sony sets. Some on LG sharp and others.

Now out of those if you get an LG oSony with 50 ms which is pretty good for 2010 sets your well ahead of the game.

If your playing in game mode you are way way ahead of the general populous.

Most people get these sets and play. Then they play on standard settings. Which introduce lag and also in many cases crush black and dark detail.

If you get an avg set 50 ms and set it up right (game mode) and your dyding or suck its you not the set.

Very very very rarely you will come accross a person on a crt or PC LCD that is beating you because of that.

This falls under making a mountain out of a molehill. While everyone is bitching whining lag this lag that. Im out there ssmoking bitches on my 60ex5 no problem at all. If you cant play cause of the tv it is you.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Quote:
+1

You'd think with the popularity of fighting and shooting games along with high resolution video game consoles TV manufacturers would fix the damn imput lag issue.

I dont care if it has jesus-like picture quality or the ability to post minute by minute social BS updates "I dumped johnny" over the internet, just a good full HD set with little to no imput lag.

starting to lean more towards the X2
You don't think they would fix it if they could? The technology isn't there yet. People have to get off these naive thoughts and think a little.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Quote:
The reason so many "help me" threads go unanswered is that the members here are sick of them. We get 3-5 per day, every day. Mostly it's people that are too lazy to spend 5 seconds doing any of their own research or even using the search function to see that the question has been asked and answered. Sorry that you feel offended that everyone isn't rushing to your rescue because there is another "help me" thread coming in 10 minutes, then another an hour later, then a couple more tonight.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants
The reason so many "help me" threads go unanswered is that the members here are sick of them. We get 3-5 per day, every day. Mostly it's people that are too lazy to spend 5 seconds doing any of their own research or even using the search function to see that the question has been asked and answered. Sorry that you feel offended that everyone isn't rushing to your rescue because there is another "help me" thread coming in 10 minutes, then another an hour later, then a couple more tonight.
Someone should create a thread called :"Input lag wars!, post your input lag results of your LCD display here for refrence"...oops nevermind...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants
You don't think they would fix it if they could? The technology isn't there yet. People have to get off these naive thoughts and think a little.
Sure they can. They just don't care.

What bloody technology are you talking about? We aren't talking hologram displays, sure, it's not quite ready yet.

Ever since we took the big fall backward from CRTs, 'cause they're big', we've been waiting for them to catch up with 10yo tech.

How come my 2001 Eizo 21" Diamontron had no problems running at 150Hz (in lower res though) and 90Hz at 1600x1200?

180/180 viewing angles also.

Full RGB color with no downsampling (it's a great idea, let's throw away 1/3 od the picture, yay!).

Zero lag.

Perfect color.

Heck any CRT that can run @ 120Hz+ is 3D compatible.

We gave up all that just cause the masses want THIN displays???

WTF?

I'd get a 32"-34" Sony Wega Trinitron HDready in no time flat IF I could get it in my country.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Although I'm not a huge believer in the "help me choose thread" there is HUGE input lag thread that covers the topic to nasium...not mention the endless input lag discussion that has already occurred in this forum. Hell, you can't throw a rock in air without hitting an input lag question. Go to "any" owners thread with more than a hundred posts and do a search on input lag? That's why you get blow back when you start these threads...because a lot of folks in this forum know how little effort it takes to get all the input lag information you could ever need.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran0909 /forum/post/19513497

Sure they can. They just don't care.

What bloody technology are you talking about? We aren't talking hologram displays, sure, it's not quite ready yet.

Ever since we took the big fall backward from CRTs, 'cause they're big', we've been waiting for them to catch up with 10yo tech.

How come my 2001 Eizo 21" Diamontron had no problems running at 150Hz (in lower res though) and 90Hz at 1600x1200?

180/180 viewing angles also.

Full RGB color with no downsampling (it's a great idea, let's throw away 1/3 od the picture, yay!).

Zero lag.

Perfect color.

Heck any CRT that can run @ 120Hz+ is 3D compatible.

We gave up all that just cause the masses want THIN displays???

WTF?

I'd get a 32"-34" Sony Wega Trinitron HDready in no time flat IF I could get it in my country.

Everyone was whining about needing thinner displays so we've got them. No benefit for me.

I have a 34" Sony reference standard CRT and the picture is magnificent.

I beleive the manufacturers do care. If the solution is as simple as you propose then they would be foolish not to implement it and capture the gaming portion of the market.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosawx /forum/post/19513389

Someone should create a thread called :"Input lag wars!, post your input lag results of your LCD display here for refrence"...oops nevermind...

It's too difficult for many impatient new members. They want the info without taxing their fingers and they want it NOW!!!!!!!!!! How dare anyone suggest they do a search.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts