AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First my apiologies for this noob question. It's been awhile since I first modified my Showstopper HS-2000 with 2 120gig hardisks. I think I've got a HD problem and I'm currently unable to get through set-up---getting an out of memory error no matter how many times I hard reset the machine.

I have just downloaded version 2.5.3 of RTVPatch but am not sure if that's even the software I need to be using now. These hardisk are in UNIX format correct? Is there a utility I can run to fix disk read errors or does RTVPatch have some utility to do this I've forgotten about? Should I just recreate new disks?

I know these are lame questions--it's just been so long since I've had to do anything with my showstopper.

I'm also trying to recall if there's some way I can force the machine to reformat the data space--given that I can't get past the initial setup ---I can't get to any of the menu's I'm familiar with.....

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think I can simplify my own question. RTVPatch hits a bunch of "Read block Errors" when trying to read my master drive. SO what can I use to scan this drive and repair these errors---if anything. I know some of my Bootable Recovery CD's have Unix tools. Maybe someone here has some advice for me.

I think the actual replay system space is OK. It's the data space that's corrupted.

Are there XP utilities that can scan and repair a Unix drive. Acronis doesn't seem to have anything,

·
Registered
477 Posts
The operating system is not UNIX, it's VX-Works. Put the hard drives in a PC and run the drive manufacturers non-destructive hard drive test against them to determine if the drives have physically failed. If the drives have not failed, you most likely have data corruption on the drives.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Powermax doesn't seem to see any physical problems with this Maxtor drive.

I still don't know how to go about rectifying even cross-linked tables without some Utility I don't have. Powermax sees the drive and checks it. Windows by itself doesn't even see the drive so there's no utility I can run on it like "Scandisk". If the Replay could get past intial setup I could run it's own routine for resetting the data space.

Right now I'm running HDD Regenerator which supposedly is filesystem independent and will repair "bad/unreadable" sectors. Guess I'll find out--looks like it will take all night to finish.

Does RTVPatch work with a 300Gig drive and for that matter will the HS-2000 handle that size drive. Sorry for all the noob questions. My first hack worked so well and for so long that I'm back to noob status. It's been at least 4 year since I've had to even think about this Panasonic showstopper.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
RTVPatch will handle a 300GB drive. However, a Showstopper will only be able to use a fraction of that drive, like only 137GB of it. No way around that either, it's a hardware/software limit on the Showstopper itself. Most folks around here don't put in drives larger than 160GB for that reason.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah thanks ACE---that does ring a bell--and I guess we've never done firmware hacks on the HS-2000. Researching VX-Works I'm lead to believe that my Knoppix Bootable CD should be of use in terms of running some kind of disk scan on this drive to fix corruped tables. I guess I'll try that tomorrow if HDD Regen fails me.

What the Hey. It's time I moved on to that big HD-TV I've had in my sights; relegating this showstopper to a doorstop. I get do get attached to my techy stuff though--even when it becomes outdated....I also still have the lifetime replay subscription that came with this dinosaur.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Unless the drives were prepared with the large cluster option, 300 gig or near it will overload the SS memory capacity. If you can get to the shows delete some. If you can't, redo the drives and se the large cluster option (shows will be lost).

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I pretty much abandoned any hope of running 300 gig drives on this rig BUT

Using Dmitriy Primochenko's HDD Regenertor
http://www.dposoft.net/

WAS able to fix my problem without causing me to lose any of my recorded programs. I assume something like Spinrite would also work. HDD Regen found one "bad" sector that it repaired and I'm up and running again. Good to know but still, I'd think there must be some quicker utility to handle corrupted data. Sector by sector scanners take hours to process even a 120gig drive.

These Maxtor 120's have done HARD duty since earrly2001 so no real complaints here. I may go ahead and image copy them to other 120's just in case they're "wearing out".

I no longer bother putting 120 or even 160 Gig drives in my computers. So I use em like floppy drives via USB connection for data backup--I got a big cardboard box full of them. None of thosey old computer 160 gig hardisks however got nearly the heavy uage these replay drives have seen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.