AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My indecisive nature has had me pulling my hair out for the past couple months trying to figure out which TV to purchase. After countless demos, forum readings, and sleepless nights, i've came down to An Lcd vs. a Plasma into what I will be taking home. The 55 inch sony hx929 vs. the 64 inch samsung d7000/d8000 plasma. Same pricing, beautiful picture on both. My room is light controlled, head on viewing, and size is always king, so with that being said my brain is telling me to go with the samsung. But my irrational side is a sucker for black levels, and while the Samsung has great blacks, the Sony with the local dimming just astonishes me with the depth it can put out. I know i really won't be disappointed with either decision, but its making that decision that's killng me, so i come to you guys, what would you choose in my situation?

·
Registered
88 Posts
this is a very easy question to answer just throw out all the lcd vs plasma out the windows cause these are basically the same in picture , just figure if your close to the screen and sit at a straight angle get the sony . . if you sit 9 feet or further back and have a big couch get the plasma but get it calibrated , and you will not be disappointed , if you going to just key in settings get the sony " out of factory it grey scale it top notch "

·
Banned
8,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlmalone1 /forum/post/20831729

My indecisive nature has had me pulling my hair out for the past couple months trying to figure out which TV to purchase. After countless demos, forum readings, and sleepless nights, i've came down to An Lcd vs. a Plasma into what I will be taking home. The 55 inch sony hx929 vs. the 64 inch samsung d7000/d8000 plasma. Same pricing, beautiful picture on both. My room is light controlled, head on viewing, and size is always king, so with that being said my brain is telling me to go with the samsung. But my irrational side is a sucker for black levels, and while the Samsung has great blacks, the Sony with the local dimming just astonishes me with the depth it can put out. I know i really won't be disappointed with either decision, but its making that decision that's killng me, so i come to you guys, what would you choose in my situation?

All things being equal other than blacks, go with black level.

·
Registered
164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlmalone1 /forum/post/20831729

if the pic quality pleases you on both TV, then it is easy.. just go with the bigger TV!

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Bigger is better. the display shrinks over the first week or two. At this point I'd opt for a lesser quality but bigger display over a smaller higher quality one. Of course I'd have the unit pro calibrated to get the best out of it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Can't decide which unit HX929, PN XXD8000, or possibly even UN 55+D8000. I don't have the time to view these sets in person. Currently, I have a 50" pioneer plasma in a bright living-room. It suffers from severe burn-in. I watch lots of sports, ESPN logo is tatooed on my tv. Should I worry about burn-in with these new sets? My sitting situation is an off-angle challenge as well, how disappointed would I be with an LED-LCD?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I agree.. Bigger is better. We have a 59 and it looks smaller than our old read projection 55.

ours is a plasma, PN59D8000.

·
Registered
16,164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasfx /forum/post/20909685

My sitting situation is an off-angle challenge as well, how disappointed would I be with an LED-LCD?

Very! All LCDs, including the LEDs, noticeably suffer with side-angle viewing.

·
Registered
Display: TCL 65R617, AVR: Denon X2300W, Source: PS4 Pro, Fronts: Infinity Primus 250
3,222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP /forum/post/0

I wouldn't say they "noticeably suffer" from off angle degradation. They perform far better than yohr typical projection tv or DLP in this regard.

I would say that there is some degradation of picture quality in the off angles. How much depends on two factors; the model of LCD in question and the viewer looking at that tv. Depending on who you ask, LCD off angle washout ranges from god awful to practically non-existent. I personally fall somewhere close to the "practically non-existent" category. I recognize that off angle washout is still there, but to notice it I have to go so far off angle (beyond 60 degrees) that it is essentially irrelevant.

There are others who post here who claim to notices "significant degradation" with most LCD sets by merely moving their head from side to side while sitting in the middle of their couch. I think most of them are given to hyperbole or have had experience with very old or very poor LCD models as I haven't seen a single LCD that bad since before 2007.

In other words...eye of the beholder. Go check out the LCD model you are considering and check and see if the off angle degradation is too much for you.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
I find off angle with LCD/LEd panels a deal killer. With reflections after a certain time of day they are gone, off angle issue remain 24/7. Some panels are better off angle than others but it is very common and endemic with the design of LCD based sets.

·
Registered
54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP /forum/post/20909993

I'm curious to know just how FAR "Off Angle" do most people compare these TVs at??? I have a new LED LCD 55" and at 45 degress I don't see ANY loss in picture quality (color, blacklevel, brightness)...

Oh.. Except for the fact that it's SOOOOO FAR OFF ANGLE!!!

Do you "really" watch movies and TV from a 45 degree angle? ANYBODY???

Im my opinion, for anything more than around 30 degrees off center, the warped view of the picture itself ruins the viewing experince! Who cares if the blacks are perfect and the colors are beautiful from 50, 60, 70 and 80 degrees... Unless you are watching 1970's KungFu Theatre, the movies are not supposed to look like that!

·
Registered
54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite /forum/post/20910549

There are others who post here who claim to notices "significant degradation" with most LCD sets by merely moving their head from side to side while sitting in the middle of their couch. I think most of them are given to hyperbole or have had experience with very old or very poor LCD models as I haven't seen a single LCD that bad since before 2007.

In other words...eye of the beholder. Go check out the LCD model you are considering and check and see if the off angle degradation is too much for you.

I second this notion!
And to add to that second part... "When" you compare the TV's off-angle viewing, do it at an angle that you will actually be ok viewing the TV... Don't compare an LCD and a Plasma at 80 degrees off angle and think "Well, I should get the plasma"... Are you really going to watch TV that far off to the side???

·
Registered
Display: TCL 65R617, AVR: Denon X2300W, Source: PS4 Pro, Fronts: Infinity Primus 250
3,222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasfx /forum/post/0

Which is the bigger compromise, off-angle viewing or bright room performance?

It depends. It depends on how much daytime viewing you do vs how often you or you family/guests sit off angle and how far off.

If you watch mostly movies in the dark you don't have to worry about light performance. If you watch movies alone or rarely entertain guests, then off angle performance isn't important.

Most people fall somewhere in the middle and for some people, both issues are important. So you just have to figure out for yourself which is the bigger compromise. For myself, I have a wife that loves throwing the blinds open. I also oftentimes find myself sitting at a pretty good off angle (30 degrees or more) so both bright room performance and off angle performance are both almost equally important to me.

I oftentimes defend LCD against its detractors. It has its weaknesses for sure, but I really don't think off angle performance is one of them. Not with modern LCDs post 2007. And I'm a viewing angle nazi. I still won't touch a projection tv based on my experiences with them from back in the day based on their angle performance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I watch television in the most comfortable position possible. In my living room the TV is fixed mounted on the wall. Unfortunately, there's no sofa positioned directly in front the TV that I can lay my tired-butt across, so I opt for the side daybed. In writing this, I realized that an articulating mount maybe a workaround for off-angle and possibly the glare issue, hmmm...

·
Registered
164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasfx /forum/post/20909685

Can't decide which unit HX929, PN XXD8000, or possibly even UN 55+D8000. I don't have the time to view these sets in person. Currently, I have a 50" pioneer plasma in a bright living-room. It suffers from severe burn-in. I watch lots of sports, ESPN logo is tatooed on my tv. Should I worry about burn-in with these new sets? My sitting situation is an off-angle challenge as well, how disappointed would I be with an LED-LCD?

I have The UN60D7000 LED.. While it is very good, it does wash out a bit after about 35 to 40 degrees angle. Plasma would be better in that regard.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.