AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a progressive scan player, the JVC XV-D723. It's been working great except for one problem - there are 3 DVDs so far that I cannot play in it. They are Brotherhood of the Wolf, Wrath of Khan, and Changing Lanes.

All 3 exhibit the same problem - when I insert the disc the player displays the "reading" message and sits there forever. It is also very difficult to get it to eject the disc. I have to do a combination of repeatedly pressing the eject button and cycling the power to get them to eject.

All 3 DVDs work just fine in my Pioneer DVD player and my PC. The other 50 or so DVDs I have played so far in the JVC work fine.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
785 Posts
It’s not uncommon for certain players to have trouble with certain discs. I have one disc that can’t be played on a Toshiba SD-6200.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I have the same problem with my JVC DVD XV SA75, which is the replacement for the '723. I'd say it does this less often than the '723, but I have seen it on a couple/few discs.

Another problem I have with the JVC is that, in progressive mode, it's incompatible with my Sony KV 34XBR800....i.e., I get shivering, quivering and line bending in the top third of the picture. JVC Customer Service finally confirmed the incompatibility, but wouldn't offer to do anything about it.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Been using a 723GD for a few years now and never a hitch. I just played the movies you mentioned and they all still play fine. Some times cleaning the laser helps.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by guitarman
Been using a 723GD for a few years now and never a hitch. I just played the movies you mentioned and they all still play fine. Some times cleaning the laser helps.
What kind of TV do you have? I'm told this is a compatibility problem with certain TVs, including the aforementioned Sony, Toshiba and whatever the others are using.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I own the JVC721 (black version of the 723) and own Changing Lanes, Brotherhood of the Wolf, and xXx. They all work with no problems. The only disc I had a problem with is Atlantis. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 ejects to get to the main menu, but once there there is no glitches. I used this player on my Toshiba TV and now through a Halo C2 and then to my Sharp Z10000.

s2silber,

Have you tried running your component through your receiver first and see if the problem gets resolved?

On another note, I have notice that dialog is off on some DTS movies. If anyone has Moulin Rouge or Young Guns SE can you try the DTS and look for lip sync issue. When I switch to DD all is fine.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MaxC
s2silber, Have you tried running your component through your receiver first and see if the problem gets resolved?
Thanks. As a matter of fact, I did try doing that. No dice. Again, though, this is a problem only in Progressive scan with all but a few discs. The outright inability to read certain discs is a separate problem, I believe.

·
Registered
404 Posts
BTW, which Brotherhood of the Wolf is this? The Canadian one is the one I have. Also, which Wrath of Khan? I have the original one. I have a new XV-50bk, so I can check if there's any progress in the new line of models.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was the Canadian version of Pact de Lupes and the Special Edition of Wrath of Khan.

I have a Sony KV36XBR400 and playback is just great on that. With these DVDs the issue is the player can't seem to read the DVD - it just sits there displaying "reading" forever.

As far as firmware upgrades, does that have to be done by a dealer? And how difficult is it to clean a DVD laser? Does that have to be done by a dealer as well? The reason I ask is that out here in Montana it is hard to find one. And don't even think about getting and ISF tech out to calibrate :)

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
s2silber,

I just noticed a similar problem to what you mentioned with Treasure Planet. The top 1/8 of the screen was jagged like it was not interlaced properly. I am running my player 480i to my projector. When I switched to progressive, however, the problem seemed to go away but my projector's de-interlacer is better than that of the player.

Most movies are skinner so that top 1/8 is usually a black bar. I will have to find other movies that take up the full 16:9 of my screen to see if they have that problem also. Funny how I never noticed that on my TV.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MaxC
s2silber,

I just noticed a similar problem to what you mentioned...The top 1/8 of the screen was jagged like it was not interlaced properly. I am running my player 480i to my projector. When I switched to progressive, however, the problem seemed to go away but my projector's de-interlacer is better than that of the player.
The problem I mentioned on the JVC was actually the reverse: In Interlaced mode, everything's fine, as displayed by my Sony XBR. But in PROGRESSIVE mode, I get line bending, shivering and jagged edges in the top 1/4 of the screen with nearly all DVDs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have no problems with actual disc playback on my KV36XBR400 - the only issue is the for some reason when I have the DVD player in progressive mode the TV forgets it was set to Auto 16:9 and the aspect is all screwed up until I go into the TV menu and set 16:9 to Auto. Everything plays fine after that.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Quote:
Another problem I have with the JVC is that, in progressive mode, it's incompatible with my Sony KV 34XBR800....i.e., I get shivering, quivering and line bending in the top third of the picture. JVC Customer Service finally confirmed the incompatibility, but wouldn't offer to do anything about it.
I own the same TV, and just figured out I have the same problem. Did you ever get your replaced? I am goign to complain to JVC right now.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hello guys, I'm a 723 owner...thinking of going to the Philips 963 or the highly sought out Pioneer unit 563..Will these be upgrades though. The 723 was listed at $899 at one time..fitting it towards $1k players in competition. Ideas? thoughts? I have had it upgraded on the firmware. still have problems reading incorrect flag dvd's.. looking for a better cd (sound) option mainly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.