AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really don't know where to begin so I thought I would start in this forum. I bought a Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-Ray player in hopes of steaming video content on my computer to the TV. I've got the blu-ray wired into a Linksys E3000 router. I can view all the online content - Amazon Prime video, youtube videos, or any of the other online content. What I can't do is view photos or videos on my computer. I've tried a couple of different media servers - xbmc, Nero mediahome, Plex. Each one of them will appear in the blu-ray menu, but will not access it when I click on it. When I watch the menu the logo for the software goes in and out, like it's accessing it but then losing the connection.

All firmware is up to date, I've tried a different ethernet cable, I've tried rebooting all the components -- nothing seems to help. I'm not sure what other info I can provide to help diagnose this problem, but let me know & I'll provide it.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
Have you thought about buying a dedicated media player rather than using a BD player for streaming content. DLNA isn't the best thing to use. If you don't care about HD audio, and possibly forced subtitles then I would suggest for you to give Sony NSZ-GS7 or GS8 a try, and download the dedicated Plex app. It works really well. I use to have one, and it isn't bad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but I thought DLNA was the new standard for streaming media through a home network? I've thought about getting a media device but this Blu-Ray player is supposed to be able to handle streaming of local content.

Anyone else have any suggestions on what I could try? If my setup is playing Amzon videos and other online content I have to believe the router is working sufficiently. Do you think the blu-ray is defective?

·
Registered
7,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzy88  /t/1509564/cannot-view-computer-content#post_24183656

Thanks, but I thought DLNA was the new standard for streaming media through a home network? I've thought about getting a media device but this Blu-Ray player is supposed to be able to handle streaming of local content.

Anyone else have any suggestions on what I could try? If my setup is playing Amzon videos and other online content I have to believe the router is working sufficiently. Do you think the blu-ray is defective?

DLNA is limited to the type of formats it supports. So you will need a DLNA Media Streaming Server that can encode on the fly your files to a format that your media player will be able to play.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Are there file sharing options that need to be set on the computer?

·
Registered
7,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightHawk  /t/1509564/cannot-view-computer-content#post_24184050

Are there file sharing options that need to be set on the computer?

I'm not sure. Everyone's set up is different. From my prior experiences with Windows, it is a PIA to share files. Sometimes it works, and other times it doesn't.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I'm planning to try the same thing soon. From what I've read, when using Windows 7 and/or Windows Media Player to share your media, you must set up shared folders as public or shared folders so that they can be found by other computers and devices.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts