AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, have done all the comparisons, run all the numbers, and for what I'm planning to do, I came up with a Canon FS100 as the answer. I'm getting ready to go on an eight day trip to three of the national parks in Colorado, climbing four of the fourteeners out there, and wanted something that could keep up with me without carrying twenty batteries or a lot of tapes (how do those perform at high altitude and cold anyway)...

So, for about $460 (including shipping) I got the FS100, an extra battery, and two 8 GB SD cards.

Now that you have my background, have some questions. First, is there any way to head mount the camera? IOW, does it have somewhere you can run a strap through a loop that would minimize the chances of it falling off? I can always put the camera in the backpack if there isn't, but it would be nice to show the traverse of Longs Peak to the homefront.

Second, how close is the rated battery life to the real battery life? It looks like that if I record in SD, I should be able to get six hours from the two batteries, and six hours of video from the two cards. Is that correct?

Finally - any tips or suggestions y'all would give? I'm not going to have as much time with this camera as I'd like before I go (heading out on the 4th), so advance help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't know anything about a head-mount but I'm sure there must be something available somewhere, or else make your own solution with good tape.

As for battery life I find the 809... (small standard) will supply me with enough poser for a 8Gb card and the 819 for a 16Gb card, I haven't a clue about exact time and such but this is how I plan any trip, and I film in the highest quality. I can tell you that the 819 (the one that sticks out in the back) exceeds the time documented-

As for shooting I reduce the sharpness, colour depth and contrast and then perhaps post process by a series of 1 min frames at a time. I shoot this at 50 frames for I don't like he 25 cine setting. 50 will give you a better depth and shadow detail if pre-configuring the setting like stated above, but this is all personal preference, so try it out before you leave which setting correspond with your personal liking.

I record at 1440 since I use a Mac and FCE and this setting I find very satisfactory.

I would get a lenshood if I were you to reduce flare and perhaps a UV filter when up in the mountains. Regarding the filter, you don't need to go for the expensive "cine.rated" models just get the basic Hoya.

Personally I like filming at aperture priority, which produces great results for the type of filming I do, practice manual focussing for this will ecome an asset to your production at some stage ... (needs practice first)

Adjust the zoom speed to 3 marks instead of auto and you're set for a great vacation

enjoy your trip

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate the suggestions.

One other question I have, which doesn't seem to be covered in the manual or elsewhere, if I'm filming while attached to AC, does it continue to charge the battery?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts