AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

i'm a total newb so please bear with me if you will. I've been searching and reading this forum for help. Trialing various workflows. I simply cannot figure out why my workflow is not producing good quality "bluray" format DVD-R movies. the result is really blotchy pixelated oversaturated sequences. when i play the raw MTS file straight out of the camera, it is absolutely night and day clairity and sharpness.

i've been reading through this mega post ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...2&postcount=15

and this specific post http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=880825 . i'm missing something in my head or something cuz i'm never able to product superb quality results.

my equipment:

canon HFS100

sony vegas pro9a

sony dvd architect5

here is my "work flow" that produces "ok" quality but still, not great:

1) I take FXP (17mbps) footage at 60i.

2a) i import the MTS files into Sony Vegas Pro9. i stitch together the clips and edit transitions etc.

2b) i open up the vegas project properties and do a "MATCH MEDIA SETTINGS" on an MTS file... i let that autofill the params.

3) now when i 'm done the project , i'm trying to find out the BEST possible rendering setup for burning to a standard dvd-r (in bluray file format) that will work on most bluray players. i realise the capacity limitations of dvd-r but thats all i have for now. here is what i'm doing...

Mainconcept MPEG2 M2V File

4) I open dvd architect, and create some simple menu and add the m2v media.

i burn the project ... i stick it in my sony BDPS550 player. it reads the disc fine but the video is just ugly. pixely, blotchy colours, simply just poor. the original MTS files played straight out of the camera is SUPERB.

guys what am i doing wrong!?

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
datadump,

I have the same setup, basically. Check the "Properties" for your DVD-A project. Make sure you increase the bit rate setting under "Video Defaults."

·
Registered
373 Posts
Your VBR settings are incorrect. You have variable bit rate but min=avg=max. You didn't say how much you want to fit on 1 DVD but your bitrate is almost same as original (so why not take original?).

Haven't used DVD Architect yet but it should be able to create BDMV?

If so I'd rather use AVCHD codec and you can actually skip recompression if you didn't edit the clips. That codec is under Sony AVC. I believe the AVCHD 1080i template only will do skip recompression.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts