AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 99.9% sure I want the Canon HG10 camcorder, but I'm a bit concerned (and confused) after reading review after review and all the other 'info' out there about data transfer specifically about AVCHD. I'm a novice when it comes to camcorders and don't plan on doing any type of high level editing- if any editing at all.

My questions are simple:

1- Can I transfer my recordings to an external hard drive that I use for backup for my laptop?

2- A. (Assuming #1 is "yes") I'm looking to simply transfer the recordings to my computer/ext. hard drive and burn standard-def. DVD's for regular DVD players. Do I need special software to burn standard DVD's from my computer? (I only plan on doing some basic editing, if possible.)

B.(Assuming #1 is "yes") I'm not ready to purchase a blu-ray burner and/or player yet (too expensive at this point) but I figure in the future I will purchase those items so I can watch my home videos in HD. So, can I save the recordings to an external hard drive for the purpose of future high-def disc making?

C. Are the recordings I download from camera to computer (or external HD) the same data sets use to make either Standard Def. of High Def. DVD's? (Is the difference simply the compression used for standard def.?)

D. Since I don't plan on doing much editing and more concerned w/ putting the recordings on standard DVD at this time, is the software that comes w/ the hg10 good enough for my use?

3- I have a HP dv5000 computer w/ 2 GB RAM, OS XP, 1.8 GHz processor. Is this going to be adequate for what I intend to do w/ my recordings?

4- I have a VCR to DVD burner, too. Could I hook up the HG10 to that and burn directly to DVD w/o using my computer?

·
Registered
8 Posts
No! use the search engine! HG10 is AVCHD format it produces a file unknown to most standard editing and burning engines.

It requires conversion that is only available from a handful of programs, Vegas, Videostudio 11.5 PowerDirector 7 Ultra.

Computers only see the camera as an external USB drive, given that yes you can copy the files but without editing as above not much point as is why buy a HD camera if your not going to play the end result on a HD display using HD DVD (Bluray)?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Not the expert on all things AVCHD but I do have the HG10 and tried to address all of your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDulaney1975 /forum/post/14230109

1- Can I transfer my recordings to an external hard drive that I use for backup for my laptop?

Yes. Hope it's a large drive. HD video files take up a lot of space!
Quote:
2- A. (Assuming #1 is "yes") I'm looking to simply transfer the recordings to my computer/ext. hard drive and burn standard-def. DVD's for regular DVD players. Do I need special software to burn standard DVD's from my computer? (I only plan on doing some basic editing, if possible.)

Yes. A bunch of video editors are available for this purpose. It's not exactly a "simple" process to get AVCHD files onto a playable regular DVD but people here in the forum do it and have given pretty good instructions on how to do it.
Quote:
B.(Assuming #1 is "yes") I'm not ready to purchase a blu-ray burner and/or player yet (too expensive at this point) but I figure in the future I will purchase those items so I can watch my home videos in HD. So, can I save the recordings to an external hard drive for the purpose of future high-def disc making?

Yes. Authoring blu-ray discs is expensive now anyway. It'll be fine if you wait.
Quote:
C. Are the recordings I download from camera to computer (or external HD) the same data sets use to make either Standard Def. of High Def. DVD's? (Is the difference simply the compression used for standard def.?)

It's not only the level of comepression that's different. It's the method of compression. AVCHD use the AVC/h.264 codec.
Quote:
D. Since I don't plan on doing much editing and more concerned w/ putting the recordings on standard DVD at this time, is the software that comes w/ the hg10 good enough for my use?

No. As mentioned earlier, you should get a full featured editor that can create such discs.
Quote:
3- I have a HP dv5000 computer w/ 2 GB RAM, OS XP, 1.8 GHz processor. Is this going to be adequate for what I intend to do w/ my recordings?

Not likely but you can give it a try. Is that a P4?
Quote:
4- I have a VCR to DVD burner, too. Could I hook up the HG10 to that and burn directly to DVD w/o using my computer?

No. Need to use an editing program (and therefore a PC).

·
Registered
69 Posts
I second the responses provided by snuba. Here's a little more detail.

Storage

You can drag and drop the recorded movie files from HG10's hard drive to any other storage devices, like an external hard drive, of course connected thru a PC.

Whether you intend to make a standard DVD, a youtube compatible video or a BluRay disc out of your video, it's all dependent on the video authoring software. The source would be the same .mts files that you get from your HG10.

Editing

I use Pinnacle Studio 11 to create DVDs that I can play in a regular dvd player. bluRay is too expensive for me right now.

Pinnacle was a bit hard to learn how to use, but once I got to know it, it's easy to drag and drop videos/pictures, create decent menus and burn to a dvd. Read thru the following thread for more info.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=970462

·
Registered
158 Posts
As stated you can drag and drop the footage onto any HD,the included software that comes with the HG10 will allow you to create regular DVD's with the footage, It also includes a player so you can watch your footage on your PC if you so wish, Nero 8, Pinnacle 11 and the new 12 are just a couple of low priced programs you can use to edit and burn as well...Your big problem is your PC, way under powered for what you intend, save up and either build or buy at least a 2.4 Core 2 duo system...Plus with intels price drop on it Processers a even better Quadcore can be had for about $200...I love my HG10. With my Quadcore Q6600 2.4Ghz, Editing and Rendering regular as well as Bluray footage is a breeze...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts