AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide between three Canon Cams, HG20, HF20 and HF200. I will mainly use either for family recording for now.

I would like to have the ability to easily save video to my computer and also to DVD. I do not have any software currently since this is not an immediate requirement but any suggestions are welcome.

A few of questions;

1. HG20 - can you copy data from the HD to the SD/SDHC memory card?

2. Are there advantages with using SD vs SDHC vs Internal Flash Drive or HD?

3. Is Manual Focusing an advantage over Face Priority?

·
Registered
9 Posts
The HG20 is probably going to be the easiest to use. You just hook it up like an external hard drive and copy the files to your computer locally. The flash ones get pretty pricey, but have better performance, but not as much space.

The HG20 also has the ability to record in SDHC and SD.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Software wise, anything that accepts mpeg compression will do. If you have a mac, iMovie should take care of it, but if not, pinnacle has very very basic editing software that's not cheap, maybe even free. After that, you can move on to Sony's Vegas or Adobe's Premiere.

·
Registered
538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spec09 /forum/post/17039637

The HG20 is probably going to be the easiest to use. You just hook it up like an external hard drive and copy the files to your computer locally. The flash ones get pretty pricey, but have better performance, but not as much space.

The HG20 also has the ability to record in SDHC and SD.

It can record in SD? I think you may be mistaken.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Answer to your question is No, you cannot transfer your footage from your SDHC card to the onboard HD of the HG20...you have to plug the card or camcorder into your PC first to download the footage or if you have a PS3 you can plug it in there...I have the HG21 and really like the fact of havng both SDHC as well as HD storage, I will never worry about running out of room when filming....15 plus Hrs on the HD as well as 3 Hrs on my 32Gig SDHC card is a big plus in my book....And the HG20 and 21 are excellent camcorders.....

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorking /forum/post/17042136

Answer to your question is No, you cannot transfer your footage from your SDHC card to the onboard HD of the HG20...you have to plug the card or camcorder into your PC first to download the footage or if you have a PS3 you can plug it in there...I have the HG21 and really like the fact of havng both SDHC as well as HD storage, I will never worry about running out of room when filming....15 plus Hrs on the HD as well as 3 Hrs on my 32Gig SDHC card is a big plus in my book....And the HG20 and 21 are excellent camcorders.....

Good point about having both media formats. Isn't quality lost when transferring from HD to PC?

·
Registered
158 Posts
No, Quality does not suffer in the least when playing the RAW AVCHD footage on your PC...Its only when you are you are converting your footage to a Mpeg 2 DVD that you loose the quality....Making a AVCHD DVD or a Blu-ray keeps the footage at its best....you just have to have a blu-ray player in order to play them.....

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome8283 /forum/post/17026417

I'm trying to decide between three Canon Cams, HG20, HF20 and HF200. I will mainly use either for family recording for now.

I would like to have the ability to easily save video to my computer and also to DVD. I do not have any software currently since this is not an immediate requirement but any suggestions are welcome.

A few of questions;

1. HG20 - can you copy data from the HD to the SD/SDHC memory card?

2. Are there advantages with using SD vs SDHC vs Internal Flash Drive or HD?

3. Is Manual Focusing an advantage over Face Priority?

I have the Canon HG21 video camera which only differs to the HG20 from having a larger HDD capacity and the viewfinder (also it's black) but according to my manual, yes you can transfer photo and video to and from the HDD to the SD card if you so choose to.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts