AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After studying reviews online about which HD camcorder to purchase, i have decided to go for the HG21. It sounds as though the image quality is ahead of all others in the same price bracket (perhaps someone can confirm this!). My next purchase to consider is for a Laptop of suitable spec. Can anyone please advise which is the best possible spec. (CPU/RAM etc) to get the best results from this camera? And also, I use Premiere CS3... will i need CS4? Hope someone can clarify...

·
Registered
5,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevely76 /forum/post/15589977

After studying reviews online about which HD camcorder to purchase, i have decided to go for the HG21. It sounds as though the image quality is ahead of all others in the same price bracket (perhaps someone can confirm this!). My next purchase to consider is for a Laptop of suitable spec. Can anyone please advise which is the best possible spec. (CPU/RAM etc) to get the best results from this camera? And also, I use Premiere CS3... will i need CS4? Hope someone can clarify...

CS3 has no native support to AVCHD, you will need to convert the file to something more friendly, like AVI. There are some free programs but Adobe recommends this one:

http://www.shedworx.com/?q=voltaichdpc

Before you make your decision on the new laptop, think about going for an editor which edits native AVCHD or not. If you keep the CS3 and converts the files, you don't need a powerhouse. If you want to play with AVCHD, go for the best laptop you can afford but be prepared to be a little disappointed with the performance even so. AVCHD editing requires a lot of CPU and memory and, depending on what software you use, a powerful video card.

The HG21 is a great camera.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help... one final query... I'm concerned a laptop is not going to be of high enough spec for native editing and easy timeline access at the hg21's highest setting... would i be better going for a PC... or perhaps even a mac? Which gives best compatibility?

·
Registered
5,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevely76 /forum/post/15593106

Thanks for your help... one final query... I'm concerned a laptop is not going to be of high enough spec for native editing and easy timeline access at the hg21's highest setting... would i be better going for a PC... or perhaps even a mac? Which gives best compatibility?

I use a PC but new laptops can also do the job. There are reports that the new Intel Core i7 cpu can do miracles editing AVCHD. My PC is just a Quad Core and can handle AVCHD but not without some hicups. Keep in mind that all modern PCs will edit AVCHD, it's just not very fast. Rendering will be slow but I don't think it's a big deal, I leave my PC working while I do something else.

Playback with my Quad and a Nvidia 8800 is OK but I actually watch the movies after editing on my Bluray player.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts