AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see these everywhere for 200-350. Am I understanding correctly that they record in sd as well as hd? Seems like that is better than the new hd format or am I missing something? If loading a nice looking video on youtube and websites is my focus is sd really what I want to do?

Without really anything to start with am I better off with jumping to the new technology or something like this HV series.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1micron /forum/post/19575250

I see these everywhere for 200-350. Am I understanding correctly that they record in sd as well as hd? Seems like that is better than the new hd format or am I missing something? If loading a nice looking video on youtube and websites is my focus is sd really what I want to do?

Do you not see difference between HD and SD YouTube videos?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1micron /forum/post/19575250

Without really anything to start with am I better off with jumping to the new technology or something like this HV series.

Out of the two get the HV30 and shoot in PF30 mode, it will work great for YouTube. Your computer must have FireWire port.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well to be honest most times when I click the 720p option on the videos it seems to get the video and voice off and stutters through. Most my network speed issue than anything but I don't think I'm alone. I will go buy another computer with firewire and run windows. I really need to get another computer anyway. Am I doing something wrong with youtube with hd?

·
Registered
115 Posts
this is an issue with your computer, have you tried running any other HD videos besides youtube?

I've used some computers that can't run 720p videos on youtube smoothly, while i can the 1080p ones perfectly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya it's on my end for sure. I run Ubuntu op system with a few bugs in it still. I can run other 1080p just fine it seems. My neighbor has the same problem. I guess what I'm asking is if you have to convert the format of the avchd to something else to go to youtube would starting with the HDV format just work better? I'm in over my head for sure,lol but Seems like a lot of info out on the net talks in circles.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
If you are going to upgrade your computer anyway, then get an AVCHD tapeless cam, tape is out. For an AVCHD cam all you need is either a USB port or a card reader, you do not need FireWire. But you need powerful CPU and decent graphics card and appropriate software.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
HV20 and HV30 record video to TAPE, pictures to SDHC. With video ONLY over FIREWIRE and pictures ONLY over USB. The HV20 has 24p and that's about it. The HV30 has 24p and 30p. Quite dated at this point, but nice cams with a decent sized sensor and features like a focus wheel and A/V input.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm a newb. Can someone post some decent alternatives to hv20/hv30 that are HDD based or use flash cards?

Important things for me:

-should be good low light camera (perhaps with a light like hv30 has)

-should be able to take external microphone if necessary.

-cheaper the better, an older model would be good as I'd like to try to get one used.

thoughts?

thanks.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Sanyo HD2000.

- no A/V input like the HV## models.

- no focus wheel like the HV## models.

- stabilization isn't as good, plus no name optics.

HF S20 (or was it 21, or 10?) was the flash based flagship when the HV40 came out. HG20 was what I was looking at when the HV30 was near the top of my list. Have I had a camcorder this long already? Such a handy device. I had to replace the hot water heater today. I didn't feel like bending over and staring at the label of specs so I put the camcorder into macro focus and took some footage of the label. Plugged the camcorder into the 42" HDTV and read the info from there. 4" label on a 42" display, I must be getting old...

TM700 if you want something decent and recent though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts