AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there-

I have done a bunch of research on these 2 camcorders, including both owners threads (even every post in the 125 page HF g10 thread, ouch!) and both manuals. I still have a couple of questions and was hoping someone could help me out.

With the M40 now as low as $550 its of course tempting, but I dont mind paying the $1400 for the HF G10. My use is primarily home, indoor lighting.

1. Lens - Probably the biggest difference between the two is the wider angle lens on the HF G10. I have read where some users have bought another lens to turn their M4xx into a comparable focus length. Is there a degradation in quality when that is done? Any other differences? Does it matter what the second lens you buy is (I have seen some for $30 and some for $300).

2. From the HF G10 owners thread there was quite a bit written about how one really needed to use the manual controls to get good low light footage. I have been through the manuals, and the main difference seems to be that the HF G10 has an assignable button so that you can easily switch your shutter speed (for example), or between shutter priority and Ap priority(for example). For the M4xx it seems to have similar control, you just have to menu dive. Is that accurate? And how much low light quality are you giving away if you have it set well once for a given indoor area?

I guess I am also generally curious what sort of manual adjustments people were making to improve the HFG10 low light abilities from 'mediocre' auto to 'great' in manual mode.

3. Is the slightly larger but much higher resolution LCD easier to use, i.e. touch to focus etc?

4 . I am aware of other differences like internal memory and the viewfinder. Is there anything else major I have missed? Is the Autofocus any faster or sharper (I know there is an additional medium AF mode).

Thanks a lot for any help anyone can give. I appreciate that many of you might not have used both, but even some opinions on one or another would be great.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I added a $13 WA Lens from amazon to my M41. it works well. I don't have anything to compare it too so all I can say is that the video looks good to me.

The bestbuy's sale price of $549 is unbeatable for the M40 & $100 more for the M41. IMO it comes down to the amount and type of use. I wanted a really good point and shoot camcorder. Similar to my Canon G9 P&S camera. A few manual settings and let the camera do the rest of the calculations.

While the G10 has better wide angle, the M40 has better zoom. For me the only time I need WA is indoor. Adding the WA Lens is no trouble at all. I would rather have two M40's & one nice WA Lens than one G10, simply put.

I needed lots of new accessories too. They start to add up. If you buy a M40 then decide to upgrade later, sell it on eBay. You won't loose much. I bet the price on the G10 will be lower then too.

·
Registered
167 Posts
G10 does have higher resolution LCD but many here have complained about not being able to see it in bright sun light. I've never had that issue with my M41. The conclusion is that the lower resolution LCD is in fact brighter.

The LCD touch screen menu does take some "getting use to" to master the navigation and function locations. After many hours of use I still find myself playing "hide and go seek" with some of the functions. The menu based manual focus works well to lock in a focal length but not for on the fly focusing like a focus ring by wire. On a tripod with a fixed position switching between subjects works good too.

I mostly use manual White Balance and Shutter Speed on all my shots. Everyone is always impressed with the home videos this thing takes. Of course, I sprung for the DM-100 mic. It makes an amazing difference. I looked at other mics but this one integrates itself through the mini hot shoe and it's so fast the mount or dismount. The best part is that you can still use it with the Line-in Mic input. You could add two cheap wireless lavaliers(mono) if needed. The levels are adjustable through the menu, really nice.

Don't get me wrong, the G10 has many features I could definitely make use of but then again so does the XF100. The important thing to understand is that you will need more than the camcorder alone to make great videos. External mics, smooth tripod, case, filter, extra batteries, LED light, X-grip and Editing Software; just to name a few. There is no end!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Icy-

Thanks for getting back to me.

Yeah, $550 for the M40 is pretty shocking. I couldnt believe it for a camera that good.

Unfortunately though virtually all my shooting will be indoors, so the wide angle is very important to me. There is only so far back you can go before hitting a wall!

When you adjust the manual controls do you find yourself missing some user defined buttons/dials, or is menu diving pretty efficient for the M41?

Also, why did you choose the DM-100 over the 5.1 surround sound SM-V1?

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thronsen /forum/post/0

Hi Icy-

Thanks for getting back to me.

Yeah, $550 for the M40 is pretty shocking. I couldnt believe it for a camera that good.

Unfortunately though virtually all my shooting will be indoors, so the wide angle is very important to me. There is only so far back you can go before hitting a wall!

When you adjust the manual controls do you find yourself missing some user defined buttons/dials, or is menu diving pretty efficient for the M41?

Also, why did you choose the DM-100 over the 5.1 surround sound SM-V1?

Thanks again for your help.

The menu system has all I need. Once you use the touch screen for a while it will get better I only change a few settings. Not a big deal.

If most of your shots are indoors the canon is the way to go. You could add a WA lens and leave it mounted most all the time. Send me a PM an I'll send you the link of links for the items I use.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts