AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33,380 Posts
Joe, not after I just got my XT4. ;)

Also curious how the EVF can have the same resolution as the EOS R5 and have a lower resolution than the EOS R5. Interesting...I know, it's 'newer information'.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Joe, not after I just got my XT4. ;)

Also curious how the EVF can have the same resolution as the EOS R5 and have a lower resolution than the EOS R5. Interesting...I know, it's 'newer information'.
Canontech of course! All things to all people ;). Maybe they mean it has a lower resolution but you can't tell the difference?

Ken, are you going to get both the R5 and R6 to test for us? As well as the a7SIII when it comes it shortly as well? Also the GH6 is due soon to - you are going to be awash with new cameras :)

·
Registered
33,380 Posts
Canontech of course! All things to all people ;). Maybe they mean it has a lower resolution but you can't tell the difference?

Ken, are you going to get both the R5 and R6 to test for us? As well as the a7SIII when it comes it shortly as well? Also the GH6 is due soon to - you are going to be awash with new cameras :)
Nah, Mark has me beat in the new camera department by a long shot. I'll leave it to him. I gave up competing with him for new cameras years ago. He has undisputed King status for the most cameras on AVS. :grin:

Besides, I'm extremely happy with the XT4.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

The Canon EOS R6 is a 20MP full-frame mirrorless camera aimed at enthusiast photographers and videographers. It sits below the R5 much as the EOS 6Ds did beneath the 5D DSLRs, and offers a well-rounded combination of features for both disciplines.
It's also one of the first enthusiast-level cameras to shoot both stills and video that can exploit the capabilities of the latest high-dynamic range displays.
Key specifications:

• 20MP Dual Pixel CMOS Sensor
  • In-body stabilization rated at up to 8EV of correction
  • Dual Pixel AF II with AI-trained subject tracking and 100% AF coverage
  • 20 fps shooting with e-shutter, 12 fps mechanical
  • UHD 4K shooting at up to 60p, 1080 at up to 120p
  • 10-bit 4:2:2 internal recording in either C-Log or HDR PQ
  • 10-bit HDR photos in HEIF format
  • 3.68M dot EVF
  • 1.62M dot fully-articulated rear touchscreen
  • New battery rated at around 380 shots per charge (EVF)
The R6 will be available from late August with a recommended price of $2499, body-only. It will also be available in a kit with the 24-105mm F4L for $3599 or with the 24-105mm F4-7.1 STM IS for $2899.
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-r6-initial-review

·
Registered
5,742 Posts
WARNING: THIS CAMERA OVERHEATS in 4K AND 8K, BADLY

https://petapixel.com/2020/07/10/the-canon-eos-r5-may-be-plagued-by-overheating-in-both-8k-and-4k-modes/

What you will see is that the official Canon statement is that in 4K 30p (it is worse in 8K and 60P 4K), the camera will overheat after 30 minutes.

Now, you may think that is not so bad, right? Who shoots 30-minute clips. But, my experience with another Canon camera with the same warning, for 4K 30 (G7 X iii), is that the camera overheats soon after starting shooting even when you shoot short clips. And once it overheats, the camera stops you from shooting 4K, completely. You have to wait at least 5 minutes (as it says here) before you can resume shooting. And in warm settings, the performance is even worse. And after the 5 minutes, the shooting interval before overheating (stopping) is even less, and so on. If you get the shutdown, you are cooked, not just the camera ("Hey everybody, let's take a 5-minutee break from our hike, ski trip, Disney ride...".

So, we need to hear some real-world experience with shooting video with this camera that goes beyond someone shooting a 5-second clip and uploading it, pointing out how wonderful it looks. For the G7 X iii, there was almost no information on this real problem. It is unusable for normal shooting.

Maybe here it is not so bad in real life, but remember there are no warnings like this for the GH5, the Z Cam E2, the Sigma fp (I think they say you can go for two hours), the Panasonic S1H, the BMPCC 6K, etc.

·
Registered
33,380 Posts
https://petapixel.com/2020/07/10/the-canon-eos-r5-may-be-plagued-by-overheating-in-both-8k-and-4k-modes/

What you will see is that the official Canon statement is that in 4K 30p (it is worse in 8K and 60P 4K), the camera will overheat after 30 minutes.

Now, you may think that is not so bad, right? Who shoots 30-minute clips. But, my experience with another Canon camera with the same warning, for 4K 30 (G7 X iii), is that the camera overheats soon after starting shooting even when you shoot short clips. And once it overheats, the camera stops you from shooting 4K, completely. You have to wait at least 5 minutes (as it says here) before you can resume shooting. And in warm settings, the performance is even worse. And after the 5 minutes, the shooting interval before overheating (stopping) is even less, and so on. If you get the shutdown, you are cooked, not just the camera ("Hey everybody, let's take a 5-minutee break from our hike, ski trip, Disney ride...".

So, we need to hear some real-world experience with shooting video with this camera that goes beyond someone shooting a 5-second clip and uploading it, pointing out how wonderful it looks. For the G7 X iii, there was almost no information on this real problem. It is unusable for normal shooting.

Maybe here it is not so bad in real life, but remember there are no warnings like this for the GH5, the Z Cam E2, the Sigma fp (I think they say you can go for two hours), the Panasonic S1H, the BMPCC 6K, etc.
Mark, it’s even worse than that. After some testing, one guy found that after the initial shutdown and waiting the required time, you could only shoot for another 3-5 minutes before another shutdown!

·
Registered
5,742 Posts
Mark, it’s even worse than that. After some testing, one guy found that after the initial shutdown and waiting the required time, you could only shoot for another 3-5 minutes before another shutdown!
That is exactly the experience I had with the Canon G7 X iii.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have zero interest in the R6 since I am satisfied with my current gear . The last camera I sold was my 2012 Sony VG900 FF camcorder several years ago.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
I have zero interest in the R6 since I am satisfied with my current gear . The last camera I sold was my 2012 Sony VG900 FF camcorder several years ago.
I have interest in R6 and R5, just not "purchase interest." It is better to see what else comes along.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As for what you can do to help minimize the time it takes for the EOS R5 and EOS R6 to overheat, Canon shared the following bullet list:

• Set Overheat Control function to “ON” (default). When the overheat control function is enabled, the movie size and frame rate are automatically changed while the camera is in standby mode to suppress the rise of the internal temperature.
  • Between recordings, it is recommended to turn off the camera.
  • Position the camera out of direct sunlight.
  • Use an external fan to dissipate heat

https://www.dpreview.com/news/0965339225/canon-issues-media-alert-to-clarify-overheating-concerns-of-its-eos-r5-r6-cameras

1 - 17 of 17 Posts