AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, after much research, here's what I came up with for replacing my dinosaur Sanyo XP21N XGA. Wanted to stay 4:3 for this round because there's still a bunch of 4:3.

Projector: Canon SX50, fed via DVI-D. Single cable solution!

Scaler: The new DVDO VP30, one very versatile box. Output to Canon SX50 via HDMI port using HDMI/DVI-D cable. 35 feet length.

Sources: SD "Digital" Cable continues to go to my Faroudja NRS, output 480P XGA to VP30 via RGBHV. This gets around the weak SD Video deinterlacing of the SIL04. Not a perfect solution by any means but will last a year or so until this is addressed. DVDO has a very nice upgrade policy.

OTA HDTV: Input via DVI @ 720 P to VP30.

DVD Player: Denon 3910, input via component (gets around HDCP) at either 480i or 480p to VP30. I'll try it both ways and see if the deinterlacing is better in the Denon (DCDi) or the VP30.

All audio switched through the VP30 then to the Parasound Pre Amp. Eliminates switching at the Parasound as a separate step.

Whatta think, sports fans?

Dan

·
Registered
827 Posts
Hi Dan,

Why not run the OTA HDTV at native rate to the VP30, i.e. 1080i or 720p depending upon broadcaster? Then you are only scaling once for 1080i signals (which most brodcasts are, at least in my area).

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will run OTA HDTV at native rate. ABC is 720P, correct? Fox, NBC, CBS are 1080i??

Ouput on OTA HDTV box anywhere from 480P to 1080i over DVI, my pick.

Dan

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHouck
Whatta think, sports fans?

Dan
Did you get it? please let us know when it's operational!

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
480P XGA? You mean 480P or XGA (1024x768)? Is there a Faroudja NRS at 480P out?

The SX50 has 1400x788 pixels in 16x9 without an anamorphic lens. The DVDO new VP30 only "bob" a 1080i HDTV signal to 540P and upscale. You may lose much vertical resolution on 1080i HDTV viewing.

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Dan,

Way to go! I'll want to know the serial number and build date of your unit when it arrives.

Li On has a good point about the VP30 if true.

Anyone know how to get proper 1080i deinterlacing short of the $3k+ Gennum/Realta solutions? (Algolith Dragonfly, Optoma VX3000, Crystallio II, Anthem D1/AVM-30 w/scaler option)

Ken

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
what does proper mean?

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Film/Video content detection. 3/2, 2/2 inverse telecine pulldown detection and deinterlace on Film content, and (at least) motion adaptive video deinterlace on Video content, for 1080i HDTV source.

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adyc
I thought Canon SX50 is not HDCP compliant. Are you sure that this setup wil work?
Hit the nail on the head there. For this setup to work (with off-the-shelf DVDs anyway) you'll need a HDCP stripper. Doable, but just another element in the chain.

Alternatively, run your DVDs through one of those programs that ... well you know.

Cheers,

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys, the 480I or P output of the Denon is not HDCP if output through component. Interestingly, there have been several reports which indicate you actually get a better picture than over the DVI or HDMI output which IS encrypted. The other two sources are non HDCP. As I understand it, the VP30 is not going to encrypt a non-encrypted signal.

LiOn is correct, the Faroudja will be outputting at XGA. I will ONLY route the SD cable signal through the Faroudja if I stay with the cable box I have now. If I switch to the Explorer 3250HD cable box, I'll output that via 720P to the VP30, same as the OTA HDTV tuner. NEITHER are HDCP.

Really appreciate your comments!

Dan

·
Registered
827 Posts
Sounds like a winner, are you going to go with a black screen? This is my hope with the entertainment/activity/theatre room.

The 1080i bob/weave discussion is one that we have been having in the scaler forum. I think Dan's stance is, correct me if I'm wrong, DVDO's price on the VP30 is excellent and so has been their upgrade policy. The Dragonfly will not ship with 1400x1050 custom resolutions for some time, we don't know when, so he is betting on DVDO coming up with true 1080i deinterlacing and pulldown sometime in the future and getting an upgrade kick to the next processor.

Good strategy if you ask me, keeps you with the SIL though for now, but he is lucky enough to have DCDI already so it's not an issue for him. If I could just find a Panny RP82.

HDCP is not an issue, especially if you need an amp to drive the 35 feet anyway ;)

Now I just need to get that lakefront lot sold so I can afford a similar setup.

I envy you Dan, let us know how it goes!!

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is what Josh said about the Denon earlier:

Quote:
I've gotten feedback from a local higly respected ISF calibrator that the component output of the of the 3910 into the HD+ at 480i and out via DVI @ 720p easily looked better then the DVI output of the 3910 @ 720p.
I have asked Josh to confirm that the VP30 will NOT add HDCP to non HDCP inputs. I'd really rather not fool with the stripper if I don't have to. And yes, the fact that DVDO upgrades very generously is a big incentive for me to buy now and upgrade to the next generation next year. Particularly with the killer deal Jason Turk got for AVS Forum members.

I was under the understanding that DVI was good up to about 50 feet without need of amp. I will be going 35 feet.

You know, I have a really nice 35' component cable. Wonder if using it and feeding the Canon through the DVI/component adapter would work just about as well? I could skip spending another $175 on an HDMI/DVI cable.

For my setup, HDCP only becomes an issue with HD-DVD/Blue Ray. You know what, these guys and their format war aren't getting any of my money until that issue is settled. I got burned on Betamax/VHS and I'm not playing that game again. And from what I'm reading High Def DVD is going to be a non-starter. The lack of interest outside of circles like this says it all.

Occ, don't sell the lot. Waterfront property APPRECIATES, HT DEPRECIATES. Just ask anyone who bought the first generation of Sim Three Chip DLP. :)

Dan

·
Registered
827 Posts
HDCP may be an issue with an HD cable settop box.

DVI may be trouble @ 35 ft [email protected] I'm not sure I would bet on it. William has done some tests I believe with the JVC so maybe you could find his posts.

Yeah, but watching an HT is better than watching grass grow, and its appreciated quite a bit so I need to move it along.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No, I specifically confirmed with Comcast that the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3250HD box they provide does NOT support HDCP.

Yeah, I vaguely recall some discussion involving WM some time ago about cables. I'll see if I can find it, if anyone remembers it, please post it here. Thanks.

Dan

·
Registered
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHouck
Will run OTA HDTV at native rate. ABC is 720P, correct? Fox, NBC, CBS are 1080i??
Actually, I'm pretty sure Fox went 720p like ABC & ESPN, in large part due to their growth in live sports coverage.

Thanks for taking the plunge, Dan! I will be watching with interest your reports, though I may have to buy a roof instead of a projector in the next year or so. :(

·
Registered
204 Posts
Dan,

I have a 25-30ft (can't remember exact length) DVI cable that you can borrow to compare to the component/adapter option. I live in ABQ and am not using the cable right now so you are welcome to borrow it for a couple weeks to try out.

Brian

·
Registered
269 Posts
Dan,

You will most likely have a sparklie issue with DVI at SX50 native resolution at the lengths you are considering. You should take Bchav up on the offer to let you borrow a longer DVI cable to try it out.

It may work, but it will be hit and miss at best. If Bchav's cable does happen to work, buy it from him because another of the same length (and brand) may not work.

If you do get sparklies, DVI amps/repeaters are not all that expensive and should solve the problem.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Dan,

I'm using the SA 3250HD cable box and my CS-2 Scaler indicates its using HDCP. I have Time Warner so maybe its an option for the cable company.

With the length of your run, you may have several reason's to get that special DVI distribution amp.

Ken

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.