AVS Forum banner

221 - 240 of 335 Posts

·
Registered
2,913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfws /forum/post/15761198

The HF11 just went back up to $849 today @ Amazon.

Have a look at zipzoomfly-probably the lowest I've seen it yet.

Quote:
Like you said, maybe the HF11 will turn out to be the better camcorder. I'm thinking it's going to drop like a rock near the release of the HF20. Hopefully, it could be had for $650 by April.

I'm hoping someone will have an in-depth review prior to the HF20's release. I'm with you though-just waiting for the HF11 to start plummeting.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottendumpling /forum/post/15783517

I'm tempted to pull the trigger on one of these...has anyone seen a price lower than ZipZoomFly's?

Unless you absolutely need one now, I'd still suggest waiting. The new models aren't in the stores yet, and prices are bound to drop more. Think of it this way: how would you feel if you bought one for $800 now, only to see the price drop $100-200 in the next month? But, prices might not actually drop that much. The only certainty is that, at some future point, prices will drop.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Just realized that the HF200 will be released for only $749.99.

That's the same as the HF20, but without the internal memory. So, it's an updated HF100 - having the ability to do 24mbps and the new DIGIC DV III processor.

The HF200 has a smaller 1/4-inch sensor than the HF11, but "3.89 megapixels/2304x1296" vs. HF11 "2.07 megapixels/1920x1080".

Also the HF200 has 15x optical zoom vs. HF11 12x.

So, as far prices/waiting - the HF200 may turn out to be near $600 not too far after it's release in April.

So, blah-blah-blah-..a lot of speculation.. the point is - if anyone is thinking of getting an HF11 now, definitely wait and see if:

-The HF11 will be cheaper

-The HF200/HF20 will be better and/or cheaper

-The HF S100 will be better and/or cheaper (although that one you might have to wait a bit for the price to come down)

·
Registered
9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfws /forum/post/15787314

Just realized that the HF200 will be released for only $749.99.

So, as far prices/waiting - the HF200 may turn out to be near $600 not too far after it's release in April.

definitely wait and see if:

-The HF11 will be cheaper

The HF11 has to drop in price soon right? I need a new camera in 3 weeks and may just end up going for the HF100.

·
Registered
221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknewb1s /forum/post/15804075

The HF11 has to drop in price soon right? I need a new camera in 3 weeks and may just end up going for the HF100.

After much speculation and contemplation, I pulled the trigger on the HF-100 last night. I was going back and forth between the H11 and the HF-S100 (coming next month), but at $529 for the 100, it couldn't be passed up. Not to mention all of the insane problems with transfer speeds I've read about with the h10/11 make me think I've got a great deal. Not to mention, I can get a 16gb SDHC class 6 card for under $50. Still a lot less than the H11.

So I thank all for the reading material that kept my brain filling up with facts and real world info on the h11/10/100. Looking forward to my new camcorder on Monday.

Mark

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Me three. I ordered a HF100 today. I absolutely MUST have it in hand NLT 4/4 for a vacation- earlier better, to learn to use it. There really seemed to be no reason to pay for internal memory, IMHO. In any event, it seems that the ones coming out in April (more or less) will actually be LESS capable in dim light.

So I saved a few bucks, and maybe will upgrade to something better cheaper faster in 5 years. At least all my video will be in electrons. I've still got some tapes from an older camcorder that I need to move to better media. Can't imagine using DV. Slow to move to a HDD.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i just bought the hf11 and i did a test recording in a moderatly lit room. i recorded for about 40 seconds on mxp mode at 24 fps. i downloaded the programs they gave and saved the file to my computer. anyways, i opened the file and watched it on the viewer they provided and the picture looks like crap. it has all the colored specs and keeps lagging. it doesnt look any better than the crappy sony minidvd handycam ive been using. please tell me im doing something wrong. i expected much better especially since it cost about three times my handy cam. can someone help? thank you

·
Registered
8 Posts
also, how in the heck can i replay these files on my computer. when i try it skips alot (even though its a small file) but the sound keeps going. the video usually only plays for about two seconds then freezes. also, can i edit my videos with adobe premeire elements 7 and still have them be full hd quality and playable on a dvd or blueray player? and would pf30 or 60i work better for editing and disk playback? im a complete noob. ;(

·
Registered
2,913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hetfield /forum/post/15867761

also, how in the heck can i replay these files on my computer. when i try it skips alot (even though its a small file) but the sound keeps going. the video usually only plays for about two seconds then freezes. also, can i edit my videos with adobe premeire elements 7 and still have them be full hd quality and playable on a dvd or blueray player? and would pf30 or 60i work better for editing and disk playback? im a complete noob. ;(

What are your computer specs? Also, try taking some footage during the day outside and see if it ends up being better. Indoor/dim shots can be difficult if one doesn't have a good understanding of the camcorder.

·
Registered
8 Posts
its a sony vaio desktop. with an intel pentium 4 3.20 ghz processor. but its only got 512mb ram and im not sure about the video card. it plays regular hd disks fine and i dont have trouble. i dont see why the ram would give me trouble with a 114mb file when it doesnt give me trouble playing 10 gig files. i think im gonna get a custom dell xps. with about 4 gigs of ram and a blue ray burner
. is there any other spec you need to know? if i know it ill answer.

also, the room i was in was fairly well lit. just regular house lights though. i just figured it would be a little more sensitive than my POS camera since it cost so much more. ;(

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
the pentium 4 isn't nearly enough horsepower to decode avchd... you need to step up to a core2quad, minimum, if you want to edit... it's all about cpu, not the video card or the ram.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hetfield /forum/post/15875477

also, the room i was in was fairly well lit. just regular house lights though. i just figured it would be a little more sensitive than my POS camera since it cost so much more. ;(

Normal household lights are many times less bright than daylight, it's just our eyes are also many times more sensitive than these cameras. So, even in what seems like a well lit room, these cameras still have to pump the gain and exposure and/or drop the shutter and raise the ISO to get a decent picture, which may lead to a noisy video. The best (easiest) thing to do is to put the camera in cine mode, it will diminish the noise to a tolerable level in almost any light as well as make the resulting video look more like film.

Also, putting the camera in pf30 or pf24 will greatly increase the low light performance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
thanks for the advice guys! im in the process of getting a new computer. so the quad core processor is a minimum?! i thought that was about as good as it gets? and ram isnt my main problem? ive been mainly shooting in 30p like you said. i cant really compare yet b/c my highdef tv decided to blow a lamp the day before i got the camera. im waiting on the new lamp and until then i can only review on the camera and on my little regular tv through the av cables. cant wait to see how it actually looks in high def! any more advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
the i7 cpu is about as good as it gets, and if you are buying everything new, that may be the way to go... what's weird is that it doesn't cost a whole lot more than a fast core2quad cpu computer... you might also want to think about a 64-bit operating system, but make sure that whatever editor you are going to use will run on a 64-bit system.

i edit on a core2duo, but i encode all of the avchd into an intermediate codec first... it takes up a lot of hard drive space, and it's a hassle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
ive got pinnacle studio 12. will that work pretty good on 64 bit? the whole 32/64 thing confuses me a lil. i know my current system in 32 windows xp and the computer im making with dell only comes with vista which is 64. im afraid a lot of my programs wont work anymore and ive always hear vista sux and is hard to use. what exactly is the advantage of the 64 bit? also, im not sure the model computer im customizing offers i7. i think its just the core2quad. is that one still plenty? or should i really push for the i7?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by osv /forum/post/15897312

the i7 cpu is about as good as it gets, and if you are buying everything new, that may be the way to go... what's weird is that it doesn't cost a whole lot more than a fast core2quad cpu computer... you might also want to think about a 64-bit operating system, but make sure that whatever editor you are going to use will run on a 64-bit system.

i edit on a core2duo, but i encode all of the avchd into an intermediate codec first... it takes up a lot of hard drive space, and it's a hassle.

Its really the ddr 3 memory that costs alot. Also the low end i7 is not really all that much faster than the higher end core 2 quads and when you factor in the cost of the whole system it could end up being much cheaper to stick with a core 2 quad at that point.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=3512&p=7

go to the vegas test 198 vs 263 , even the phenom 2 is within striking distance. You can also add alot more memory to the ddr 2 core 2 quad system ($50 bucks per 4 gigs) and a video card and use something like cyber link to improve render times through the video card. A 9600gt or radeon 4670 can cut that render time almost in half for less than $100 bucks.

Remember your lookin at $300 motherboards vs $100 mother boards and $100 vs $50 per 4 gigs of ram.

All depends on what you want to do. I'd actually look into a phenom 2 set up in terms of cost

221 - 240 of 335 Posts