AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOls
Just bought the Canon HFM 30 instead of the TM 700. Will the HFM 30 do 1080p at 60. Is it very good or should I have spent the extra $ 350 for the Panasonic?

DaveOls
The HFM3x series will do 60i, 30p and 24p. I have tried all there modes and found that recording at 60i looks best for video that will be transferred to dvd or Blu-ray, as the playback on a hdtv looks the smoothest. The 30p (PF30 mode) seems to look best on my PC monitor, but on dvd the playback doesn't look as smooth as the 60i recording.

I would suggest you try both recording modes, convert and transfer them to disc and watch on your HDTV. I use Sony Vegas and Sony DVD Architect to convert the videos to disc. For $370 for the HFM300 the video is pretty good. But if it were closer to $550 like when it first came out, I'd then give the Panasonic and Sony a try too. Keep in mind, if you record at 60p from the Panasonic and burn to disc, I don't think there are any players or TVs that can diasplay full 60p fps 1920x1080 (maybe someone else knows for sure) but will be at 30p fps.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
I'll obviously not do 1080 60p and it's not meant to compete against the TM700. The stabilizer will be a lot worse, the low light capabilities will be worse, the colors will be a lot worse. The Canon camcorders that are meant to compete again the SD600 and the TM700 are the HF S200, HF S20 and HF S21. The competing camcorder for the M30 is actually the Panasonic SD60/TM55.

Theirs a lot of reasons why the TM700 cost a lot more. This is like trying to compare the Panasonic SD60 to the top Canon consumer camcorders.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira
I'll obviously not do 1080 60p and it's not meant to compete against the TM700. The stabilizer will be a lot worse, the low light capabilities will be worse, the colors will be a lot worse. The Canon camcorders that are meant to compete again the SD600 and the TM700 are the HF S200, HF S20 and HF S21. The competing camcorder for the M30 is actually the Panasonic SD60/TM55.

Theirs a lot of reasons why the TM700 cost a lot more. This is like trying to compare the Panasonic SD60 to the top Canon consumer camcorders.
Just an FYI, the HFS2x series has the same image stabilization modes as the HFM3x line (off, standard, dynamic, power IS) but adds "true native" 24p to the recording modes, still no 60p. I'm not sure if the colors are better on the HFS compared to the HFM, but the CMOS sensor is a little bigger, so that should help out especially in low-light.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
I know it sounded like I went too far but for sure it's 2 different markets. Lest just say I haven't slept in a while since I had to do some editing last night.

1080 60p TVs are naturally 60hz or more so as far as I'm concerned, it's better to feed it a format that is native to the TV unlike 60i although it's true that a lot of 1080 TVs such as the one I have is pretty good at scaling. If Sony goes ahead with putting 1080 60p in their new S35 sized NXCAM, that would increase the chances of 1080 60p becoming Blu-Ray legal. I'm almost positive that all the PS3 needs is a firmware update if that were to ever happen.

Speaking of native 24p, I understand it's in the HF S200, HF S20 and HF S21 and I can't believe Panasonic still used the ancient method. I would sometimes get pissed off when someone spends so much time editng an important project and later finding out that they should have took it out of the 60i wrapper. Not everybody will easily know that you can buy something like CineForm for $100 and it'll automatically fix it. At least I'm glad the GH2 has native 24p although the hacked GH1 may have had something to do with it.

Still, for the price, the M30 isn't bad but again, it's not fair comparing it to the SD600 or TM700 just like it wouldn't be fair comparing the SD60 to the HF S200. The TM700 has 3 native 1/4" chips and the M30 only have 1 1/4" chip with not enough pixels. The CX550, HF S21 and the JVC HM1 for example has a lot of pixels that helps with the colors but the chip is bigger so they can do that. If you were to jam a lot of pixels into a 1/4" chip, the low light capabilities would be sacrificed.

The new Canon XF100 is an exception. It's using just enough pixels for full HD which in theory provides worse colors than chips with more pixels but to make up for it, it's record to .422. That's a pretty clever idea since the the pixel count is kept very low to help with the low light capabilities and still have colors that can match a single chip with much more pixels. Still, the $3,000 price tag is pretty steep although I wouldn't be surprised if it gets release for around $2,300 to $2,500.

·
Registered
264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOls /forum/post/0

Just bought the Canon HFM 30 instead of the TM 700. Will the HFM 30 do 1080p at 60. Is it very good or should I have spent the extra $ 350 for the Panasonic?

DaveOls

You mean to tell us you bought a camcorder without knowing, or comparing its features or capabilities?? That's weird... Unless you received it as a gift or something? Or maybe it was bought used at a real good price? But if it was bought brand new in a store, and you didn't check it out first, that's a little strange to want to know AFTER you bought it, if it's a good camcorder... Besides, since the new TM750 is becoming available soon, the price of the TM700 will inevitably go down further. And used ones might even start to appear in local ads.

The HFM 30 can be okay for some uses, it depends greatly on what you will use it for. But it can certainly not compete with the TM700, because it wasn't meant to. It's a case of "you get what you pay for".

·
Registered
105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOls /forum/post/19527686

DaveOls

That's funny as just last week I returned a Canon HFM30 and bought a Panasonic TM700. The HFM30 video looked terrible when I recorded in my living room, an environment which I don't really consider to be low light but I guess the camera did. The TM700 takes great video everywhere in my house.

·
Registered
710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alainhubert /forum/post/19529515

Besides, since the new TM750 is becoming available soon, the price of the TM700 will inevitably go down further. And used ones might even start to appear in local ads.

Is there any difference between the TM700 and TM750 except that the 750 comes with the 3D converter lens attachment?

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
The TM650, TM750 and the SDT750 has a more advanced stabilizer and better colors but you do pay a big premium over the price of the TM700 for it. In Japan the TM650 and the TM750 does not come with the 3D lens although it does come with 64GB and 96GB of solid state storage respectively.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.