AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been done photography work for a while, mainly just for friends and family but have had a lot more work lately. But I'm getting more and more requests to do video instead of photo for certain things and I've been looking at cameras.

Looking for a pro/prosumer level camcorder. I was looking at the Canon XF300 because it has the features I need and want. But it being 4 years old now, I'm wondering if it's still worth investing $4,000 into. And I know some people will say just use the DSLR for video, but I prefer an actual camcorder. Is there any other camcorders on par or better than the the XF300? My budget is about $4,000. May be able to stretch it, but would rather keep it at or under.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
...being 4 years old now, I'm wondering if it's still worth investing $4,000 into.
Not really. If you want a professional camcorder with modern features for $4000, I recommend:

- JVC GY-HM200 - 1/2.3" sensor, built-in Ultra High Definition (UHD) 3840x2160 recording (4 times the resolution of the XF300), built in XLR jacks, SDI out, power zoom, built-in live streaming - about $2899.99

- Panasonic HC-X1000 - 1/2.3" sensor, built-in UHD/60p and 4K recording up to 4096x2160 resolution, built in XLR inputs, SDI out, power zoom - about $3200

- Sony PXW-X70 - 1" sensor, 1080p (UHD with a paid upgrade), built in XLR inputs, SDI out, power zoom, optical steady shot system - about $2300

- If you're willing to stretch your budget a little, you can get a JVC GY-LS300 body with a Super 35mm sensor (about the same size as a crop sensor DSLR), UHD recording, built in XLR jacks, SDI out, and built-in live streaming for $3995 and add a couple of inexpensive Panasonic power zoom lenses, the 14-42mm and 45-175mm for about $300 each. This camera will give you the image quality, low light performance and shallow depth of field of a DSLR with the features and ergonomics of a camcorder.

Any of these cameras will give you better image quality than the X300.

Hope this is helpful and good luck with your transition to video!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Man, I would love to get the JVC one for the interchangeable lenses. But would end up being $600 more getting the 2 lenses. And are those lenses decent quality or is their IQ more like a kit lens?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Man, I would love to get the JVC one for the interchangeable lenses. But would end up being $600 more getting the 2 lenses. And are those lenses decent quality or is their IQ more like a kit lens?
Shot with the 14-42mm power zoom and a macro diopter:

Shot with a Nikkor 500mm and the Panasonic 45-175mm power zoom:

These are quality lenses. You can get them for less if you buy them directly from Japan.

Again, hope that's helpful.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As much as I'd like the JVC one with the interchangeable lenses, just can't afford it. The X1000 is the one I'm leaning towards. The Sony FDR-AX1 also seems good although a year older, but can get a used/refurbished model for about 2500-3000

1 - 10 of 10 Posts