AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried connecting a Canopus A-D Converter DV out to a Sony DVD Recorder DV In?

I want to convert analogue video tape to digital video using, say, a Canopus ADVC700, outputting the video direct to a Sony RDR-HX900 DV in.

Before buying the Canopus can anyone tell me if such a connection will work?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Why would you even bother with that? The DV down compression between the analog source and the DVD recorder would further degrade the signal.

There's no purpose in having DV in there. (If you're curious, you can read more about the disadvantages of using DV .)

Just go analog input (camera, VCR, etc) into the Sony DVD recorder.

The only exception would be if you're trying to use passthrough of some kind, where the signal is filtered first in the Canopus box, using a filter not found in the Sony. And in this case, the advantages of filtering could outweigh the disadvantage of DV compression as a middleman step.

Make no mistake, the DV box will ONLY pass DV.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robson /forum/post/18144123

Has anyone tried connecting a Canopus A-D Converter DV out to a Sony DVD Recorder DV In?

I want to convert analogue video tape to digital video using, say, a Canopus ADVC700, outputting the video direct to a Sony RDR-HX900 DV in.

Before buying the Canopus can anyone tell me if such a connection will work?

I have not tried this exact setup, but during the past several years I have done transfers of several hundred VHS, S-VHS, and Beta tapes by passing them through a Canopus ADVC-300, then into Panny and Pioneer DVD-recorders.

In doing this, I do not convert to DV at any time. It just uses the analog pass-through of the Canopus unit to take advantage of the color and brightness correction capabilities, and the 3-D noise filtering which can be very helpful in some tapes. The ADVC-300 has these features, but I don't think the ADVC-700 does.

Anyway, I have been very pleased with this workflow. I agree with lordsmurf that you should avoid converting to DV before MPEG. Looks like the 700 wouldn't help you, and might hurt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. New to this. Just wanted a stable image into the DVD recorder, which I have found a direct connection does not do. I wasn't aware an analogue to DV converter would also degrade the signal.

·
Registered
245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robson /forum/post/18153721

Thanks for the replies. New to this. Just wanted a stable image into the DVD recorder, which I have found a direct connection does not do. I wasn't aware an analogue to DV converter would also degrade the signal.

It sounds like you need a good S-VHS VCR with TBC+DNR, maybe a TBC in between -- that's how you get "stable".

Read the playback hardware suggestions guide , and check out some related filtering VHS to DVD topics.

DV is just adding needless compression into the mix.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.