AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I activated DirecTV service yesterday for my Proscan 105 HD receiver and as I was going through all the channels that I am supposed to have with the Total Choice + HBO package and found that there were ~ 25 channels that gave me the "searching for satellite signal" message and nothing came up for those channels. I couldn't get the 199 (for HDNet) either. Does anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it? Do I need to call the installer out to fix it? I have good signal strength on both 101 and 119 ( ~ 87). BTW, which channel is for HBO HD and HD demo?

Thank you so much in advance for your help.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sounds like your signal strength from the 119 satellite might be low. The two HDTV channels 199 (HDNet) and 509 (HBO-HD) come from that satellite, as do a handful of education and religion channels and the NASA channel and the Para Todos Spanish language channels (I think they're all in the 372-456 range I believe). If those are the channels that you are getting the "searching for satellite signal" message on then it could be that your dish isn't optimally aligned to pick up the signal from the 119 satellite.

In my case I've got a tree in the way of the 119 satellite so my signal strength from it is about 30 (and the tree's days are numbered) but the signal strength from the 101 satellite is in the high 70's. So when a storm moves in my 119 channels disappear first.

I don't anything about the Proscan 105 HD receiver but I'm sure there is a way to check the signal strenght of each transponder from each of the satellites. That could confirm that signal strength is your problem.

------------------
-McD-

·
Registered
24 Posts
tle,

I had the EXACT same problem. It turns out it was a bad switch. I was only receiving a few working channels.

The installer came back out and hooked up the dish directly and everything worked except the HD channels. That means the switch was the problem.

So of course I tried to get RCA to replace the switch (that came with my DirecTV Plus system that was only 2 weeks old) and they wanted to me send the whole thing (dish and all) back. No way man!

So I just ordered a new switch. Got it a week later. The installer came out today, hooked it up and viola! All channels and HD channles work fine. My guess it is your switch.

Now I just have to get RCA to reimburse me for an item that WAS under warranty. Send the whole dish back...HA! That's ridiculous!

Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.