AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved to Mobile and signed up with Comcast so I can use the firewire output of their Motorola DCT6412 to archive all the hdtv movies/tv shows I want to my JVC DVHS.

This was NOT an issue when using Comcast in Washington, DC, Marland, Harrisburg, PA, West Hartford, CT.

BUT, here in Mobile, Alabama it appears that EVERYTHING coming out of the firewire is 480I, NOT hdtv. It makes no sense. When I call their tech support, I'm told by some inexperienced technician that there's such a shortage of Motorola boxes that the one I have probably was not set up right. This is not correct, I'm sure.

There should be a software they can send to my box to upgrade the firewire output to hdtv instead of 480i.

It appears the copyguard is on for EVERYTHING via firewire? My jvc dvhs says:

"COPY RESTRICTED PROG

OUTPUT 480I VIDEO"

The ONLY reason I want Comcast is the firewire hdtv. I can't even watch ANYTHING regardless of recording via firewire in HDTV?

Any suggestions who I can speak with at Comcast to get this resolved?

Much thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
33 Posts
You are right in that Comcast has copy protection turned on. That is what is causing everything to be output in 480i (a.k.a. down-rezzed). This is expected behavior on their pay-per-view channels- the 5C flag is set to copy never. Do you experience this same problem with your local HD channels? Or just the premiums? Either way, it sounds like Comcast doesn't have their head-end settings right, and they are setting the 5C flags incorrectly. They should be at least "copy once" on the premiums, and "copy freely" on the locals.

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Sorry Steve, but Hollywood can't let you record HD movies from the channels you already pay extra for... or else, you won't pay more to record them in the future. :(

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm sorry, but I don't think that that is correct. I'm successfully recording to DVHS from premium channels (HBO, Sho, etc.) As I understand them, the FCC regulations governing the cable industry require them to allow you to make a recording of these channels. This is the same regulation that required the Firewire port. He should be able to record these, but it sounds like Comcast has the head-end unit in his area programmed incorrectly.

(Unless you were referring to pay-per-view or my :) detector is broken; in which case, please ignore this post!)

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatWent
He should be able to record these, but it sounds like Comcast has the head-end unit in his area programmed incorrectly.
Correct.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Your local cable company doesn't know what they're doing. You should be able to at least record "copy once" from premium channels and less restrictions from " normal channels. No copy should apply only to pay per view programing, keep on complaining until they fix it. You may be one of the first in the area with DVHS so it may take a while, also try to get supervisor. .

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Your local cable company KNOWS what they're doing--they do an excellent job of ACTING dumb--as long as people believe their act the MPAA gets what it wants!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Very interesting news regarding the Motorola hdtv dvr issue...I spoke with a top pr guy at Motorola and this is what I've learned:

Motorola sends all their hdtv dvr's and stand alone units out "with" the firewire enabled. Then, Comcast makes whatever modifications it needs to. Comcast does not at the moment have "any" issue with firewire. However, they are certainly considering the concerns raised as to digital copying.

That said, Motorola does acknowledge that the latest firmware on the 6412's is an issue and "is" working to fix it soon. In the meantime, your cable provider can resolve any firewire enabling issues by loading the software commonly referred to as "Ardmore 7" or "thinclient 7.15".

As for the "downres" issue, the firmware is called "Dover" and is associated with any release greater than Dover 8 or less than Chester 3.

It appears that for now, all standalone Motorola hdtv boxes "should" still work with the firewire and also any "single tuner" Motorola hdtv dvr's. I'm told that the fix for the downrez relating to the Motorola hdtv dual tuners is weeks away and then probably, another extra month of beta testing.

The problem specif

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood
Your local cable company KNOWS what they're doing--they do an excellent job of ACTING dumb--as long as people believe their act the MPAA gets what it wants!
This is completely incorrect.

Contact the local Comcast business office and find someone who can help you get the problem fixed, probably in engineering.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatze
Very interesting news regarding the Motorola hdtv dvr issue...I spoke with a top pr guy at Motorola and this is what I've learned:

As for the "downres" issue, the firmware is called "Dover" and is associated with any release greater than Dover 8 or less than Chester 3.

It appears that for now, all standalone Motorola hdtv boxes "should" still work with the firewire and also any "single tuner" Motorola hdtv dvr's. I'm told that the fix for the downrez relating to the Motorola hdtv dual tuners is weeks away and then probably, another extra month of beta testing.

The problem specif
My Moto 6412 was downrezzing the firewire port until three weeks ago. I got a call from my cable co that they had fixed the issue. It works fine now.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56
My Moto 6412 was downrezzing the firewire port until three weeks ago. I got a call from my cable co that they had fixed the issue. It works fine now.
I assume you had to call them to request the fix?

I'm in the same boat, as the 6412 unit I just had installed in Denver is doing the downrez thing on my D-VHS deck on *all* HD channels. Any suggestions on how to phrase that request for when I call them?

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tack
I assume you had to call them to request the fix?

I'm in the same boat, as the 6412 unit I just had installed in Denver is doing the downrez thing on my D-VHS deck on *all* HD channels. Any suggestions on how to phrase that request for when I call them?

I was very straighforward with them. I was put in touch with some sort of supervisory person who contacted tech services and explained the problem to them. When I first got the 6412...it was fine. Suddenly an overnight update downrezzed the firewire output. They seemed very concerned that I might jump ship to another HD service. It took about a month or so...but they eventually called me, said they had flashed the modem with a new update...and to check and see that everything was fine. I was honest with them that I archived HD content to a DVHS recorder...but I also was clear that I was not sharing or selling the content...just using it for personal enjoyment. They were just great in addressing my concerns.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Wow! Great to hear your situlation turned out well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.