AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh man, I can't believe it. My plasma has spent the vast majority of it's life in my home sitting in it's box - it has yet to be mounted as I'm waiting for contractors to do a full home-theater install. I've barely used the thing at all, save the occasional time when I've pulled it out of the box to check that it works (and do a quick hook-up to my cable box to check that too).

In order to learn how to use the white bar scroll I pulled it out of the box.

Saw the "negative" screen saver function too and turned it on for the first time, making the entire screen illuminated white.

There I saw burn-in (or uneven wear) in the form of a letter-boxed movie.

There is a band of darkness running across the screen, with the "bars" above and below it above it being lighter.

This is beyond exasperating. Each time I had checked my plasma, by watching bits of movies on DVD, I was totally conscious (paranoid, really) of burn in. I had cranked the settings down. I had always mixed up what I watched: if I played twenty minutes of a letter-boxed movie I always followed it with a couple of full 16:9 movies (and still, never watched more than, say, half an hour of any film).

I could count on one hand the amount of hours this thing has on it.

This does not sound indicative of other people's experience with this screen. (I'm actually starting to wonder if I was given a pre-opened plasma).

Can anyone give me advice? Is there anything I can do?

Thanks,

Rich (hyperventilating).

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Rich:

WOW, what a bummer! :(:( I've had a Pioneer 50" for a few months and watch a lot of 2.35 movies and have never seen what you're experiencing.

You may be on to something, wondering about prior use. Was there any indication that the box was previously opened at the time of delivery? Get your dealer on the phone ASAP!!!

I can't believe you've caused the problem. Maybe it will go away, as you suggest.

Hang in there man and keep us posted!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Rich,

Run the white bar scroll for a couple of hours and check again. It may just be temporary burn-in which is quite common for plasma panels.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Ok Rich-

I know based on your previous postings that you approached this display with cheeks puckered. So I too, would wonder about if it had previous usage. One way to check (since I don't recall an inside usage clock) would be to compare serial numbers against production dates. You may give Techniwizard a call to verify if there is a clock (hidden).

This sounds very a-typical to me. Previous suggestions have been to run 'white scroll bar' for anywhere from 15 min to 1 hour. And or maybe the 'reverse image'. Although I would find out more about this, first.

Other suggestions have been fast moving images, but these were more aimed at static logo after-images and the like.

Regards, Bruce

Oh! well - they beat me to the draw.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Rich -

One follow up - since serial numbers may not neccesarily verify usage, try and take a flashlight and look thru the ventilation slots and see if there is any build-up of dust on the insides. Especially looking in from the top.

Regards, Bruce

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies so far. I've running the white scroll bars as we speak.

I'm going to try to do what I can before I contact my dealer.

Something that seems bizarre to me is this: let's assume that I was indeed given a new plasma screen. The letter-boxed shape I see is indicative of uneven wear of the pixels, is it not? Even if I had watched letter-boxed movies exclusively for several hours, how is it that the pixels within the movie image would show any wear at all? I mean, several hours and the pixels in the center of the screen are ALREADY starting to fade? How long can the pixels on these things last if they begin wearing out so quickly? I don't get it.

Rich H.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Rich:

Is there any kind of "reverse" image capability in the Panny? Just wondering if running a static reverse image (not you, of course) for a long period might cause what you're seeing.

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes Jim, there is a "reverse" function. It's what I used to create a negative - white - screen to discover the burn in. (Actually, noticed the uneven lighting during the white bar scrolling first).

Do you mean if the screen had been pre-used someone might have done that?

I also wonder if playing a letter-boxed movie in the "reverse image" mode, so the black bars are white, would help.

What's freaking me out is the fact I have to deal with this at all, at this early stage.

Rich H.

ALL ADVICE AND SUGGESTIONS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Duh! I just remembered - there is a manufacture date on the back (month, year). What is your?

It would be very difficult to tell whether it had been repackaged if it was all put back the same. Mine came with a plastic bag surrounding the Plasma, first, and then stuck in the forms/box. When you opened yours, if the bag pulled off the top, and was not wrapped around the bottom of the panel, - that would be different than my experience.

Bruce

·
Registered
925 Posts
in the admin menu there's a count of the number of hours the unit has been on.

doody.

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bruce - Thanks for the suggestions. I will check that out (but I'm taking care of my kid, so it'll be a while).

Doody - The admin menu - can I access this, or is it part of the service menu?

Thanks,

Rich.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Rich, did you see these "burn-in" images just after you went through all the aspect ratio tests to diagnose your other PQ problem? Could it be that there is just some ghost imaging left that will soon fade away? Sounds really strange.

I hope so, and in any event, good luck. If all else fails, send it back and get the higher rez Panny next month!!;)

·
Registered
621 Posts
This is precisely what I see on my Fujitsu. I see no hope in overcoming the problem, but it hasn't prevented me from seeing beautiful pictures on my display.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hi Rich,

My first thought when I saw your post was that you're playing with your new toy which is great...and more importantly I understand what you've seen with the white bar scroll. However, you haven't had a chance to use the plasma much correct? What are you seeing on your screen when viewing material with the screen filled? Does the picture look O.K. or are you seeing any type of degradation...I have a hard time believing you have a used set. I think Dixon is correct about ghosting/temporary reverse imaging.

Howie

·
Registered
50 Posts
Rich,

I had a bad scare last night. My daughter was going through the "Special Features" portion of her Harry Potter DVD when I called her in for dinner. After dinner (about 45 minutes to an hour) she said she was going to go back and finish looking through the special features. I asked her if she left the picture on the plasma (a Pio Pro 1000HD) and she said yes. I went into the room where the PDP is and immediately turned off the unit and saw the ghosted image. I fired it back up, flipped through some TV channels (full screen), and saw the ghost fade away.

I hope you have what I had - just temporary ghosting. Lesson learned - don't trust an 8 year old with your Pro 1000 (duh).

Jeff

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Hi Rich,

The scroll bar and the white screen will more than likely clear your ghosting.

Be assured the pixels are not wearing out, just maintaining a bit of after image which clears by itself eventually or can be coaxed quicker with the scroll bar/white screen.

Don't fret on the service menu, better to stay clear, easy to get in trouble there. Recent 42 serial #s are like YB163xxxx YB210xxxx which is Jan feb production. B stock units are carefully controlled in our distribution system and are marked as such if dealers go that route.

Bruce is right about the plastic bag opening at the top. Keeps the styrofoam from rubbing the front glass and making irreparable fuzzy areas.

Another clue is if the accessory box looked untouched or not.

BTW I have some valium if you need it (GGG)

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I very, very much appreciate the replies.

Well, the state of things is this: I let the white bars scroll for an hour and a half today. Followed by an hour of 16:9 material.

Afterwards, on a white screen I could still see the bars. Pretty faint, but definitely there. Fainter than when I first saw them? Could be.

Later I watched the entire DVD of North By Northwest, filling the screen. Figured it would be a good pixel work out. Of course the burn-in was mostly unnoticeable. Until there were scenes with large sections of sky and then, damn, I could spot the bars (not that any normal human being would notice them without their being pointed out, but I could see them distinctly).

So, if they are fading, they ain't fading fast like one of these temporary ghost images. But, I'll hold off climbing a water tower with a long-range rifle until I've given the situation more time to work itself out.

Techniwizard: Thanks for the sobering information and tips! So you suggest, perhaps, a period of white scroll bar followed by the white (negative image) screen?

What about playing a 2:35:1 letter boxed DVD and reversing the image, to "reverse" the burn in?

Thanks much.

Nurse... buuuuzzzz....Nurse!.... my Valium drip is slowing....

Rich.

·
Registered
183 Posts
It's probably been addressed here before but I'm an "FNG"....something-New-Guy here on the forum.

If you watch a channel that has it station logo constantly in the lower corner of the screen (I'm thinking of HDNet), is this going to be a problem. HDNet on occassion has a hockey and/or baseball game which goes for 2-3 hours and I always see the logo down there but it is a faint one.

Is this a potential problem to avoid.

Geez, it seems like its always something....ya can't even watch the best HD channel out there because they have their silly logo on the screen all the time causing burn in.......just whining, sorry.

Pat

·
Registered
860 Posts
As someone who doesn't yet own a plasma, I am left wondering, given all these things that can potentially cause burn in seemingly no time at all, e.g. station logos, games with static images, black bars when watching material with a different aspect ratio than the screen (gee, now that's a rarity), how is it that anyone could possibly avoid burn in for even a week, let along for years of owning a display? This whole thing is really turning me off to the prospect of buying a plasma.

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
Hey R Harkness,

I sympethize. If the bars are fading (they will likely be fainter after a while with normal useage), you'll be the better for it.

IMO, this particular unit was used (either by the store or even a returned unit).

On the NEC, there's a simple procedure to find out the amount of usage the screen had (i.e., a new user should get it at ZERO). Does the Panny have any secret service menus you can check?

If the usage is still not too high, the bars will likely faint. If you have a digital camera - I recommend you take a picture of the effect, then use the plasma normally and take the same picture after a day and compare (with your computer) if there's any reduction of the bars.

Ultimately, the best thing you can do is get the unit to switch to "negative mode", then put on a white picture in the same letterbox mode the burn-in is made of. That'll basically put black in the middle and WHITE letterbox marks on top and bottom of the screen. A few hours of this might dull the letterbox marks enough to where the burn-in effect is reduced. Then, using the screen in normal mode would basically cause the effect to slowly diminish.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.