AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...first post here....I've searched for countless related threads but couldn't find any help...I'd be thankful if u guys are willing to at least read on before dismissing it as 'discussed before'

I use a DVI to HDMI adaptor to connect my Palit 4850 to my Sharp LCD. And i realised the blacks are too dark...to the extent that the details are blackened and cannot be seen. I read that this is called black crush or something...and has something to do with the 0-255 or 16-235 colorspaces.??

I have catalyst 8 1 2 installed but i am unable to alter the Pixel Format, because my TV is detected as DVI and not HDMI(prolly cos i'm using adaptor). As a result the Pixel Format option doesn't even exist under my 'DTV (DVI)' So how can i fix the problem?? Can i change it to detect as DTV(HDMI) instead?

So i have a few questions

1) How do i check whether my graphics card is outputting 0-255 or 16-235? Is there any way of altering that apart from hacking ati registry?

2) Is it possible to solve the problem using my player's controls? eg. i use coreAVC to decode h264 and it provides an option to change 'input' and 'output' to either 16-235 or 0-255. However, i realised that even if i change that, the colours are wrongly calibrated. I somehow feel that I should tweak it from Catalyst itself. (I have also tried changing video renderers/filters whatever but it was in vain)

3) Is it possible that the fault lies with my TV? I've been looking for an option to change my TV's colour output between 'studio' and 'PC' but i can't find any.

In the past i have used this same machine to connect to the same TV using DVI to VGA, and this problem was non-existent. So i was thinking the only variables that have changed are

-using DVI to HDMI adaptor instead of DVI to VGA adaptor

-using vista 64bit (are ati's vista drivers any different?)

really appreciate any help....thanks in advance

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You are only allowed to post URLs once you have at least 3 posts. If you are a spammer, please go elsewhere. If not, sorry for this issue the spammers have made for.

pls let me do a bump so that i could post a URL in another thread...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Which port on your 4850 are you using to connect to the TV?

I had a similar problem with my TV being detected as DVI using the dongle until I put it on the other port. When looking at the back of my PC the dongle works and correctly detects my TV as HDMI when it is plugged into the LEFT port.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanielfelt /forum/post/15583901

Which port on your 4850 are you using to connect to the TV?

I had a similar problem with my TV being detected as DVI using the dongle until I put it on the other port. When looking at the back of my PC the dongle works and correctly detects my TV as HDMI when it is plugged into the LEFT port.

gosh...gonna try it out right away...i think i'm the greatest idiot on earth ...cos i always thought the 2 ports are the same

thanks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i've tried using the other port...but still detected as dvi
how do i check whether it's using pc or studio?? any ways around this prob??

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Try a different HDMI input on the TV (if there is one). I've seen some Sharps behave differently across inputs.

If ghat doesn't help use moninfo to check the EDID. It might be possible to use EDID Override to force HDMI detection if you have to.

If the connection is seen as DVI then the card is outputting 0-255.

Wo0zy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Definitely try a different HDMI port on the TV. If that doesn't work try uninstalling your video drivers then booting into safe mode and running a program like Driver Sweeper to remove all remnants of your video drivers. Then reinstall the latest ATI drivers.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ARRGH! i've tried either HDMI inputs on my tv, as well as both DVI outs...but in catalyst it still detects my tv as DTV(DVI)4.

Woozy:

can u explain to me what u meant by

'moninfo to check the EDID. It might be possible to use EDID Override to force HDMI detection if you have to.' ? Cos that might be my only solution
do you mind giving me instructions on how to carry out EDID override or whatever??

thanks so much

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
something real ironic too. When i plug the cable in while my comp is on, catalyst pops out this msg:

'An HDMI to DVI display connection has been detected. In Order to hear audio on your HDMI based TV or display, you wil need to havea separate audio connection from your computer sound outputs to your TV or audio equipment. For more information, click the Help button.'

Yet it still detects my tv as DVI!?!?! how do i make it output 16-235 argh

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Which DVI to HDMI adaptor are you using? Are you using one that was supplied with your card, or one you've bought separately.

There are "special" DVI to HDMI adaptors for use with graphics cards that signal to the card that they are being used for HDMI connections (rather than DVI) and enable things like audio via HDMI AND HDMI-style 16-235 (and 4:2:2/4:4:4 YCrCb rather than 4:4:4 RGB and 0-255 only)

However if you use a 3rd party DVI to HDMI converter (or a DVI to HDMI cable) this is not detected in the same way, and the display appears to be a regular DVI one - and thus the drivers limit to 0-255 4:4:4 RGB output only.

Annoyingly, not all DVI graphics cards are shipping with suitable DVI to HDMI converters, meaning you have to track them down separately - and have to make sure that you get one specifically for your type of video card...

Nothing is every simple is it?

(Another option MAY be to investigate EDID over-ride - though I'm not sure about this)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
oh damn....you're right....mine is brought separately. 18 bucks wasted grrr...i should've done some research before buying
Looks like i need to find out what's compatible for my Palit 4850.

anyone have the same card as me?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bad news...i compared my card http://www.palit.biz/main/vgapro.php?id=853 to others on palit's site, and i realised hd4850 doesn't have this line: HDMI function via dongle(optional). while some other cards have. Does that mean even a dongle wouldn't work?? that'd be real stupid.

any users of palit hd4850 here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by video321 /forum/post/15630072

FYI....I have a Sharp Aquos connected via DVI/HDMI cable and it is detected as HDMI in CCC.

do u mean i should try using a cable instead of adaptor? is there a difference?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Unfortunately, I can't answer that for you.

But, I also have a Sharp LCD with ATI video and thought I would let you know mine works correctly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
damn should i just give up and use vga? but my tv will only be able to output 1400 X 1050...and my desktop can only go 1680 X 1050. But i think i can use kmplayer to corrrect the aspect ratio. But would i be bottlenecked in any way ??

Or should i give the ati dongle a try?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts