AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice between these two in upgrading from an Optoma H27. I use a projector as a daily TV, with Time Warner HD service and a 720p HD-DVD player, and there will be plenty of ambient light at times.

Given that it's a daily viewer, it tends to run for long periods of time. I'm not sure if this would be a problem with current LCD projectors (AX200 is what I had in mind) or not? I realize the Mits has deeper blacks, but given that I view in ambient light a fair bit I'm not sure that this is a huge factor in deciding between the two.

And I know the Mits isn't well known for upscaling SD content (although my HD cable box can output at 720p).

I definitely like the idea of the Panny's auto-adjusting brightness, but again I've read that LCD doesn't do well with long run times, and that the image longetivity isn't as good as DLP, but I just don't know if this applies to current LCD models like the AX200. Since hours will rack up fast on the lamp I'd like to get the most out of it.

Any opinions on what's the better fit?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Sounds like you have a good grasp of the choice you face. Assuming rainbows isn't an issue, I'd go with price as a major factor. I pretty much agree with everything you wrote - that slightly better blacks isn't a deal sealer, but long-runs does tilt the argument back towards DLP. I've never seen the AX200, but as long as you're accustomed to the poor bright-light performance, the HC1500 should be bright enough - put it in sports mode and don't watch dark movies during the day and life's good

1 - 3 of 3 Posts