AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really can't decide prices are so comperable that I just don't know which to go with. My main concerns are as follows, with the Samsung HLM507W I'm worried about rainbows, one of my favorite things are long long gaming sessions, where your eyes move about the screen a lot so rainbows are a worry of mine (especially since I hear you don't see them at first).

But I worry about refresh issues on the GW, I have heard poor things about the refresh rate of RPLCD and when playing a lot of games I worry about this.

Bottom line, while this TV will be used for everything games are the primary convcern, you guys have never steered me wrong before, so please advise me now :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
I spent quite a bit of time with Metroid Prime last night on my GameCube and 60" GW2. It looked very nice - the graphics are crisp with no lagged ghosting or trails. I had to change the DRC settings in Pro mode to help (set up for SD and DSS), but I don't think the GW2 is a problem. I also played games on the 507 and it plays them very well - except for rainbows.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Nice try :D

If you search this forum, same question has been askede before and you will find "answer". One thing consistently came out of such comp[arision is YOU are the best judge to decide based on what works for your tastes. This forurm will give lot of information to make that informed decision.

·
Premium Member
10,415 Posts
I am not playing games on my 50" GWXBR, but I have picked up the following from various posts.

Samsung DLP

- easier to connect a PC to DVI input

- DLP artifacts

- limited component input capability

- 43", 50" available

- no burn-in

Sony GWII

- PC connectivity seems more difficult with DVI

- no DLP artifacts

- blacks not quite as good as 507

- component inputs handle 480i-1080i

- 50, 60" available

- no burn-in

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have had several extended sessions of Ghost Recon on XBox on my 50XBR800 now, and I have zero complaints. No trails, no strange artifacts, playing at 480p through component inputs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am in the same dilema of chosing between these tv's. The one thing that umr didn't mention was the inclusion of the Faroudja chip in the Samsung. Is this a big enough edge to surpass the Sony? The flip side arrgument, is reputation...as silly as it, I trust Sony more than Samsung (hope I don't get flammed too bad for that statment).

I have yet to find a store where I could view both units side by side, because that would probobly make the decision much easier. If anyone has seen the two sets side by side, can you post your impressions? thx.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.