AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a PS3 last week and I returned it today, because I really don't need two blu-ray players (I currently have the Sony BDP-S350) and there are no games that I'm interested in. I decided that I'm going to buy a Xbox 360 very soon, because its truly a gaming machine and I'm not sure if I should get the 60GB version or the Elite Edition. I'm not planning to download movies on it. Which Xbox 360 do you think is better (cooling, less power, and not too noisy)? Please help me decide.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Well, I bought the 360 a few months ago, and my decision was made simple just because I wanted a black one, instead of white. However, with the upcoming fall (probably) update, where you can save games to the drive, the double hard drive space on the Elite might actually get used for something.

·
Registered
572 Posts
If I was in the market for a new Xbox, I'd probably buy the Elite.

1) It's black and would match the rest of the electronics in the stack

2) It has a ton of HD Space.

I just did a quick check of Amazon; the Elite is currently $424.99 with free shipping and no tax; or you can buy the bundle which includes Forza2 & Marvel for $449.99, if you decide on the 60; they also have it available for pre-order @ 349

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Honestly just get the Elite. Hard drive space is going to be at a premium soon enough, and 360 hard drives are ridiculously expensive, so you minus well just get the unit that comes with the big drive.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IeraseU /forum/post/14341623

Honestly just get the Elite. Hard drive space is going to be at a premium soon enough, and 360 hard drives are ridiculously expensive, so you minus well just get the unit that comes with the big drive.

x2

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Just to add, if you do end up getting the system with the smaller hard drive, the price of upgrading to the 120gb is so steep that you can sell your old system on ebay and buy the Elite and probably still break even. That is how high the 120gb drive is priced right now, so again I recommend avoiding that hassle and just buying the Elite from the start. Even if you think you will not use the space, with full game installs coming in the next firmware update, and rumors of mandatory installs after that, I would err on the side of caution.

·
Registered
155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IeraseU /forum/post/14341996

with full game installs coming in the next firmware update, and rumors of mandatory installs after that, I would err on the side of caution.

+1 A year ago, when I first got my elite (my first 360), I chose it over the premium because of the HDMI. Now I'm thanking myself for the 100 GB of space that I've never touched. Getting rid of some load times and giving my Ben-Q drive a break will be huge. I might start my second Mass Effect playthrough, now that the elevator rides will be shorter

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Elite.

You will use the harddrive space in the future. Trust us on this.. everyone in this thread is saying the same thing.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Agreed, if you want to play the games now and dont mind the extra cost, just get the Elite. The extra space will eventually come in handy. If the 60GB were out now though Id probably say save the $$$ and get it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
i know this wasnt part of the question, but what if he got a 20gig for 299, used it for a few months, then upgraded to a 120gig, when/if there is a price drop on that HD. then sell the 20 gig, possibly saving money. thats what im gonna do for my second bedroom unit.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindwarper /forum/post/14342842

The elite also has the audio dongle and the free hdmi cable. The dongle was important to me. I think all 360s are now falcons.

+100

The dongle is worth $50 unto itself *if* you need it.

(You could always hack an equivalent but the elite comes with it.)

So the differential is 60GB extra drive space, a black case, and the dongle, for $100 (Maybe $75 if you find the right deal.). If you don't need the dongle the 60GB should be able to hold about 4-5 game images instead of 10. Depending on your gameplay habits 60 might suffice or 120 might not be enough.

There is no universal answer; its all a matter of the way you're going to use it.

·
Registered
10,457 Posts
Only PRO IS DVD UPSCALE in new 60GB version. I just scored an ELite( non bundle) for $379 from amazon, when price was 399 plus gold box discount! I am debating with 20GB that I scored lower. Might sell, 20GB then.

·
Registered
186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres /forum/post/14342887

So the differential is 60GB extra drive space, a black case, and the dongle, for $100 (Maybe $75 if you find the right deal.).

You forgot about the play and charge kit and thats pretty much mandatory which is $20 by its self.

^DVD Upscale??? I thought all of them have that (although mediocre)

·
Registered
639 Posts
My elite didn't come with play 'n charge, not sure the point you're going for there. But yes, +1 to what everyone else is saying....elite all the way.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'd get an elite if I didn't already have one. The black casing looks good with my other AV shtuff and the HDMI capability frees up a precious component port on my receiver.

·
Registered
186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mw182006 /forum/post/14342985

My elite didn't come with play 'n charge, not sure the point you're going for there. But yes, +1 to what everyone else is saying....elite all the way.

My bad your right. Still, get the elite.

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
Get the Elite if you want the black case and need the extra 60gb's.

Personally I prefer the white case which I why I'll be getting the new 60gig unit when it comes out.

All my accessories are white (racing wheel, wireless headset, etc...). It may seem strange, but I want all my xbox stuff to match.

If I had a choice when the system launched, I probably would have chosen black.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts