AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Opps, mispelled the title... how bad is that?
Marantz 5004 vs Onkyo 807

I'm really torn between these two AVRS. I'm using an Emotiva XPA-3 up front so power isn't a big issue.

The Marantz seems to have quality issues (going into protection mode) and the ONkyo get really hot.

The Onkyo from what I've read is more dynamic and has better bass yet can be bright, yet the Onkyo has better vocals and overall sound quality.

This is for a dedicated HT room. I'm replacing a Yamaha HTR which I've always felt sounded a little lifeless.

Is the Marantz protection issue really bad? I'm kinda leaning towards it as it seems to have a better quality sound.

A push in one direction or the other would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/19536641

You might want to also consider the Denon 3310 for nearly the same price as the Marantz, available on Amazon.

I'm tring to keep it under $450, i'm looking at the refurbs at accessories4less.

After researching both units i'm nervous about making any decision. I read the Marantz is more neutral detailed and forward which sounds great...I'm just afraid it'll go up in a cloud of smoke some posters have mentioned.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCARCIO
I bought the refurb 5004 from A4L and love it. I got the 3 year warranty with it. Good luck.
Well Marantz 5004 it is. Just placed the order...$421 shipped!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.