AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I'm not going to get a sub since I have nowhere to put one in my livingroom arrangement. I currently own a pair of jbl s38be that I've had for many years. And I actually love the sound of them but the problem is all the furniture in the room is so very cherry. You could probably guess what finish the jbl's are, Beach! They stick out like a sore thumb. So here's what I was thinking and researching. I just can't decide between these 3 sets. If anyone can give me pros and/or cons of them I would appreciate it.

I'm some what leaning to this set since I own jbl and like them.

JBL L880, LC1. Or even the 890 is an option. http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...nding/jbl-l880

This set sounds like it has alot of promise from reading through the ed thread

ed A6 6T6 towers, 6T6 center http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/pro...products_id=96

This set I just don't know much about but it gets positive reviews

Infinity Beta 40, c250

All the sets listed are in my price range so that's not a factor. The jbl and infinty's can come in cherry. ed comes only in black. But I'm indifferent to black or cherry, just not beach. lol. I guess my main concern is that since I'm not going to use a sub, which set will sound the best.

·
Registered
118 Posts
i have the a6-6t6 towers. they are definitely a great speaker - they play louder then i could ever ask for - while staying clean. they provide sufficient low end. i do have them paired with 2 a3-250 10" subs - but without - they are still a great speaker - i would imagine hard to beat for the money.

i am looking into other equipment - but i will tell you why. when i first bought my ed setup, the only center they had was the smaller a6-5t5 mtm, and it just can NOT keep up with the a6-6t6 towers like i was told it would. now, my equipment is at my girl's house and her TV stand has very limited space for a center (17.5" wide) and i couldn't even begin to fit the new a6-6t6 mtm - but oh how i wish i could!

i am now trying to find a matching set of mains/center where all the mids are the same size. probably going to end up with the psb alpha t1's and c1 center - as the center will fit and the floor-standing mains have matching setups.

if i had room for the a6-6t6 center you bet your a$$ i'd be keeping the a6-6t6 towers around. in fact i would be selling the a3-250 subs in order to upgrade to something that can actually keep up!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so you did listen to the 6T6 towers without the subs running and they had plenty of bass? I'm really tempted to get them to atleast try them out.

·
Registered
118 Posts
yes i have played them without the subs and although not potent enough for my bass heavy taste they do a pretty decent job!

your room acoustics/layout are going to play a huge roll however - what are you working with?

i think the speakers are gorgeous. they are painted - not some cheesy a$$ vainer that will peel off in time - and the grills are SOLID. the towers weigh about 55 pounds.

·
Registered
158 Posts
What tpye of AVR do you have? Unfortunately my Onkyo 505 is rated at 1khz for 6 ohm speakers, 20-20khz for 8 ohm - Same for the 605 - not sure about the 705. Anyway, I was thinking about getting the Ed speakers, but they are 6 ohm. I have listened to amps rated at 1khz before and the sound is thinner, less detail than an amp rated at 20-20khz... just a thought... I may return the 505 for this reason, guess thats one reason why people love Denon and HK's...

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
What's your budget? With no sub you might wanna consider the SWAN 6.1's with a C3 center. They have dual built in 8 inch woofers, a dedicated midrange and of course a tweeter.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwahlert /forum/post/12937412

yes i have played them without the subs and although not potent enough for my bass heavy taste they do a pretty decent job!

your room acoustics/layout are going to play a huge roll however - what are you working with?

i think the speakers are gorgeous. they are painted - not some cheesy a$$ vainer that will peel off in time - and the grills are SOLID. the towers weigh about 55 pounds.

Well that's the tricky part. I have a huge armoir in the corner, which the speakers will go beside. Our fireplace is to the right, and the bay windows are to left. Couches and recliner finish the square, the main couch faces the fireplace, and carpeted floors.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuma1 /forum/post/12937785

What tpye of AVR do you have? Unfortunately my Onkyo 505 is rated at 1khz for 6 ohm speakers, 20-20khz for 8 ohm - Same for the 605 - not sure about the 705. Anyway, I was thinking about getting the Ed speakers, but they are 6 ohm. I have listened to amps rated at 1khz before and the sound is thinner, less detail than an amp rated at 20-20khz... just a thought... I may return the 505 for this reason, guess thats one reason why people love Denon and HK's...

As far as the avr goes, I have an old pro logic sony recvr. I will be upgrading it also but not any time in the near future. It does not have a sub out. I'm not even sure what the wpc are. I got it with a pair of cerwin vega re12's back in 92.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 /forum/post/12937992

What's your budget? With no sub you might wanna consider the SWAN 6.1's with a C3 center. They have dual built in 8 inch woofers, a dedicated midrange and of course a tweeter.

My budget is around $750. Which puts me right in line with the speakers mentioned, I hope. And I could always save some money looking for used. And another option would be to sell a pair of cerwin vega RE12's that I bought back in 92. Not sure what I could get for them. And sell the pair of jbl s38be's and maybe have a little more money to spend.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 /forum/post/12942076

Well to snag the swan's you'd spend upwards of 1300 if you went all black so they're out of your budget.

Yeah, thanks for the option though.

·
Registered
16,876 Posts
If you can accommodate it, get 3 identical towers or bookshelves.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/12942753

I wish I could, but I don't want bookshelves and 3 towers are never going to fit into my situation.

·
Registered
343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/12942753

What's he going to do with the third tower put it behind his TV

·
Registered
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip_ /forum/post/12942977

What's he going to do with the third tower put it behind his TV

Does the word accommodate not mean anything to you? Leftey understood and said he wished he could do it.

Placing a TV at ~40" is not unreasonable, in fact many people have them higher than that.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuma1 /forum/post/12937785

Unfortunately my Onkyo 505 is rated at 1khz for 6 ohm speakers, 20-20khz for 8 ohm - Same for the 605 - not sure about the 705. Anyway, I was thinking about getting the Ed speakers, but they are 6 ohm. I have listened to amps rated at 1khz before and the sound is thinner, less detail than an amp rated at 20-20khz... just a thought... I may return the 505 for this reason, guess thats one reason why people love Denon and HK's...

Ae yout talking about Electrostatic speakers or something like that? If so, start thinking about major electronics upgrades ... the Onkyo 500 series is not designed for anything but efficient budget speakers.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftey /forum/post/12933824

First off I'm not going to get a sub since I have nowhere to put one in my livingroom arrangement. I currently own a pair of jbl s38be that I've had for many years. And I actually love the sound of them but the problem is all the furniture in the room is so very cherry. You could probably guess what finish the jbl's are, Beach! They stick out like a sore thumb. So here's what I was thinking and researching. I just can't decide between these 3 sets. If anyone can give me pros and/or cons of them I would appreciate it.

I'm some what leaning to this set since I own jbl and like them.

JBL L880, LC1. Or even the 890 is an option. http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...nding/jbl-l880

This set sounds like it has alot of promise from reading through the ed thread

ed A6 6T6 towers, 6T6 center http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/pro...products_id=96

This set I just don't know much about but it gets positive reviews

Infinity Beta 40, c250

All the sets listed are in my price range so that's not a factor. The jbl and infinty's can come in cherry. ed comes only in black. But I'm indifferent to black or cherry, just not beach. lol. I guess my main concern is that since I'm not going to use a sub, which set will sound the best.

This is a perfect situation to go with 2 full range speakers... use the money you would be spending on the Center to get deeper full range speakers, try to get speakers that get down as low as 40hz ...

Then get a nice heavy receiver that can pump out bass through the 2 full range speakers....

·
Registered
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR_IN_LA /forum/post/12944405

Its not unreasonable if you like sore necks ...

Do you sit on the floor right in front of your TV?

What is the seating height of your eyes where you sit? How far away do you sit?

My eyes are at 32" and that's when slouched down in a fairly "cushy" sofa. So, sometimes they're even higher than that. I'm about 12 feet away. 40" high wouldn't be unreasonable. Many people have their TV at that height. I prefer mine lower, but if I was buying speakers, I would strongly consider getting 3 towers and raising my TV to that height if necessary. Get a tape measure and measure 40" up the wall. It's not THAT high.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR_IN_LA /forum/post/12944445

This is a perfect situation to go with 2 full range speakers... use the money you would be spending on the Center to get deeper full range speakers, try to get speakers that get down as low as 40hz ...

Then get a nice heavy receiver that can pump out bass through the 2 full range speakers....

I could do that, are the towers that I'm looking at considered full range?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts