AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is my first post. I got the approval from my wife to start on a home theater but now I need to decide on a layout. I'm hoping to start building in the next few months. I will also be finish the rest of my basement while I'm at it. I'm split between two floor plan options. I've attached my options.

I like version 5 more but there are a few things that worry me.
  1. The space between the column by the front row and the wall is only about 30 inches.
  2. I would like two rows of 4, but the space between the outside wall and column is 126 inches. From what I've seen, 4 Berkline 13175's are 120 inches wide. That would put the seats right by the wall.
  3. Will the view be acceptable being surrounded by that deep of walls.
  4. I can't afford an pre-made AT screen so I want to go the DIY route. I'm thinking about Dazian Coated Celtic Cloth but hope it won't affect the sound too much.
  5. I was hoping for double doors but I don't think I can fit them in because there will be a post inside the wall.

Here are the positives with version 5
  1. Deeper room
  2. Won't have to wall in/deal with the window in the theater room
  3. Seating rows are farther from the screen

Here are some other notes
  1. I'm thinking about Paradigm speakers in a 5.1 setup. Titan Monitor for L/R. CC-290 for C. ADP-190 for surround. Unsure of the sub, but won't be Paradigm.
  2. I will have a drop ceiling about 12" from joist, leaving me with 8' ceilings.
  3. Thinking about a Denon AVR-1910
  4. Will try to do a DIY rack
  5. Need opinions on projector. My two options are the Panasonic AE3000 and the Epson 6500UB. I like the AE3000 for the zoom memory feature and the Epson for the long lamp life and brightness. I'm thinking about going with the Epson because from what I hear, the AT screen needs a brighter image and the lamp life looks promising as well. Any opinions?

Thanks for any input. From what I've read already, there will be lots of good input.

Version 5:

Version 6:

Floor Planv5.pdf 53.064453125k . file

Floor Planv6.pdf 50.3525390625k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
503 Posts
looks like carboranadum did the work for you. you have to upload your pictures to a website, such as flikr, photobucket, use google's picasa (great free photo program), etc. then when you post your message on here, you click the yellow icon of the mountain to insert the web address of the picture that you uploaded to whatever website.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To whumpf:

I can possibly get rid of the spot by the screen. The wife wants more storage area and I wanted a bigger HT, that was the compromise. Will that big of an inset bother me while I'm watching? As of right now, I'd have about 13 inches from my screen edge to the wall, 7 inches if you include the screen trim.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusbac /forum/post/17036500

I like version 5 more but there are a few things that worry me.
  1. The space between the column by the front row and the wall is only about 30 inches.
  2. I would like two rows of 4, but the space between the outside wall and column is 126 inches. From what I've seen, 4 Berkline 13175's are 120 inches wide. That would put the seats right by the wall.
  3. Will the view be acceptable being surrounded by that deep of walls.
  4. I can't afford an pre-made AT screen so I want to go the DIY route. I'm thinking about Dazian Coated Celtic Cloth but hope it won't affect the sound too much.
  5. I was hoping for double doors but I don't think I can fit them in because there will be a post inside the wall.

From your list, you seem to have a great understanding and feel for the issues that you will experience. The width of the seating is a concern, but you know, it's entirely a personal decision. You can push the seating up next to the wall, BUT you will not have the best sound experience from that location. Is that significant to you? Personal choice.

30 inches from the column to the wall is not bad. I've seen smaller. It should work fine. Losing the double doors is actually preferred from a sound containment perspective.

Quote:

Here are the positives with version 5
  1. Deeper room
  2. Won't have to wall in/deal with the window in the theater room
  3. Seating rows are farther from the screen

Deeper may pose a sight line or tunnel problem, but you should be ably to mock that up and see if it will be an issue for you. All of the positives will work out OK.

Quote:

Here are some other notes
  1. I'm thinking about Paradigm speakers in a 5.1 setup. Titan Monitor for L/R. CC-290 for C. ADP-190 for surround. Unsure of the sub, but won't be Paradigm.
  2. I will have a drop ceiling about 12" from joist, leaving me with 8' ceilings.
  3. Thinking about a Denon AVR-1910
  4. Will try to do a DIY rack
  5. Need opinions on projector. My two options are the Panasonic AE3000 and the Epson 6500UB. I like the AE3000 for the zoom memory feature and the Epson for the long lamp life and brightness. I'm thinking about going with the Epson because from what I hear, the AT screen needs a brighter image and the lamp life looks promising as well. Any opinions?

Opinions: Stop thinking about the equipment this early in the game. I know that there are others out there who will take issue with that, but you really need to concentrate on the ROOM...that will really make a huge difference in your movie experience. You can change out a projector, screen, amp, etc easily. You can't change the sound isolation or the design of the room easily.

Unless you are hiring a contractor and finishing the build in a few months, spend time considering soundproofing, addressing design issues, and really thinking about the space. If you're like most of us and go the DIY route, the build will be drawn out over a few years, so anything that you buy will be superseded by newer devices, which are cheaper with more features.

It's a little hard to get noticed with the number of updates lately, but make it easy for folks...embed your photos so that folks don't have to open something, ( INSTRUCTIONS HERE ). Keep at it, you're moving in the right direction and have a great space to work with.

The last piece of advice I'd offer is to read this link: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post15611214

Jeff's post (BigMouthInDC) really sums up years of experience on getting started. Personally, I read all of the builds mentioned plus a bunch. I was a member here for about 5 years before I even owned a space where I could build a HT. I've read and followed what others have done for that entire time, and now I'm 2.5 years into my build. Read until your eyes bleed. Ask questions, bookmark things that you like and reach out to the posters...they are all good guys and gals, and won't mind helping out.

Again, good start.

CJ

·
Registered
3,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusbac /forum/post/17078782

Thanks, but I don't know how to do that. Any ideas?

See my last post for instructions.

Recopied here.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=10368758

The photos are hosted on my account...I'll leave them there, but when you get them posted, let me know and I can point to your files.

CJ

·
Registered
3,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusbac /forum/post/17078914

To whumpf:

I can possibly get rid of the spot by the screen. The wife wants more storage area and I wanted a bigger HT, that was the compromise. Will that big of an inset bother me while I'm watching? As of right now, I'd have about 13 inches from my screen edge to the wall, 7 inches if you include the screen trim.

What is that bump out used for? Is it hiding something? It may cause you an issue with symmetry in the room. The screen wall will not be symmetrical, but I don't know if it will bother you. It would drive me bananas, but I'm a bit weird that way.

CJ

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. The construction will be part DIY and part contracted out. I have a friend that's a contractor who will be helping me with the framing, riser, etc. but will contract out the plumbing, drywall, and some electric.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum /forum/post/17078996

What is that bump out used for? Is it hiding something? It may cause you an issue with symmetry in the room. The screen wall will not be symmetrical, but I don't know if it will bother you. It would drive me bananas, but I'm a bit weird that way.

CJ

The bump out does bother me, but there's no way I could get 4 seats/row and keep it symmetrical with the post right by the first row. I could go 3 seats/row, take out the bump and move the screen over, but I'm not sure if it's more important to me that the extra seats. I could take it out, but again, the wife wants all the storage room she can get. I'll try talking her out of it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum /forum/post/17078965

...You can push the seating up next to the wall, BUT you will not have the best sound experience from that location. Is that significant to you? Personal choice.

CJ

You're meaning the 2 seats right next to the wall won't have a great sound experience? If that's so, then I'm not too worried about it. Most of the times that the room will be filled will be for sporting events. For movies, it probably won't be above 6 people. Or at least that's what I'm expecting.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
One of the pics show the depth of the riser as 96". 84" is more than enough which is what I have. Some use much less but 78" is a common number as well. The deeper the riser, the more distance between rows and the more difficult time you will have keeping both rows happy with screen size.

I would also square off the room as symetry is king (in my book).

·
Registered
1,201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dradius /forum/post/17078579

... who knows though, cause i haven't gotten any hits on my HT build
this place is hit or miss.

This place is definately at hit. You might get more traffic if you add a signature and include a link to your thread in it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If I did square off the front of the room, would you guys keep the screen where it is, centered with the seats, or would you move it to where it's centered on the wall, where the seats next to the wall will have a worse viewing angle?

·
Registered
3,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusbac /forum/post/17079580

You're meaning the 2 seats right next to the wall won't have a great sound experience? If that's so, then I'm not too worried about it. Most of the times that the room will be filled will be for sporting events. For movies, it probably won't be above 6 people. Or at least that's what I'm expecting.

Yes, the distance from the wall helps create an accurate surround sound stage. Chairs bumped up against the wall will degrade this, but all HT building involved tradeoffs. Only YOU can weight whether the cost is worth the benefit.

CJ

·
Registered
1,201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusbac /forum/post/17080145

If I did square off the front of the room, would you guys keep the screen where it is, centered with the seats, or would you move it to where it's centered on the wall, where the seats next to the wall will have a worse viewing angle?

hmmmm

I would like the screen centered on the wall. I had less variables I could change so I ended up going with 2 chairs in the front row (instead of 3) and 4 in the second row. The front two are centered on the screen as are the two behind them and they are definately the prime seats while the other two are definately overflow (as would have been the 3rd seat in the front row had I added it). I won't be sitting in any of them...

My screen wall is 154" wide and I will have 115" of screen width (125" 2.35 screen). Link in my signature.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.