AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize in advance if this isn't the right place to post this.

I'm currently debating between the new Panasonic V10 series Plasma, or a Samsung A950 LCD. Both have great reviews but I can't decide which would better suit my needs. I currently am leaning towards the plasma but... I can't make a definite decision yet.

I love blu-ray, and I also love games. I have a very discerning eye and will unfortunately probably notice any picture issues (judder, shimmer, burn-in, fast motion problems, etc...) Any pointers? Has anyone had the privilege of getting to play with both?

·
Registered
472 Posts
I too, generally prefer the PQ of plasma over LCD, especially when cost is factored in, but there are questions that you should consider before your decision. Like:

What is the light like in your viewing room, are there going to be people seated off of the center axis? How much gaming do you intend to do with your new display?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The room I'm going to put this in is strictly for gaming / movies. I have theater-esq seating with two couches (I built a stage and carpeted it for the rear one). Ambient light can't be completely eliminated, but most of it is so I wouldn't really consider that a problem at this point. Nobody will be off-angle since both couches are facing directly at the TV.

My main focus is picture quality. I don't care about widgets, browsing the web, how thin a TV is, how 'green' it is... I want a crisp, clear, accurate picture with little / no stutter during fast motion, and awesome contrast. I play every console from NES to PS3 so I need something that will put up with that as well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Want to sell me a cheap 58" V10?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Light controlled with stadium seating there is only one option....front projection

But seriously in a light controlled environment I would go with plasma. I recently faced the same dilema and someone posted a great analogy. LCD looks great early in the day but gets worse as the lighting dims. Plasma is just the opposite. Also keep in mind the A950 LCD is now discontinued and may be hard to find. Personally in a light controlled environment I would talk to Chris at Cleveland Plasma about finding a Pioneer Kuro.

·
Registered
118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC /forum/post/16977354

I apologize in advance if this isn't the right place to post this.

I'm currently debating between the new Panasonic V10 series Plasma, or a Samsung A950 LCD. Both have great reviews but I can't decide which would better suit my needs. I currently am leaning towards the plasma but... I can't make a definite decision yet.

I love blu-ray, and I also love games. I have a very discerning eye and will unfortunately probably notice any picture issues (judder.....

Can't speak for plasma because I've never owned one.But having owned the A950 for about 4 months now all I can say is that the PQ is literally breathtaking....stunning! And when watching a BD on my PS3 it's as if the characters are right there in the living room with you.The PQ is *that* good.I've noticed some "judder" on occasion but with my setup at least it's nothing more that an occasional annoyance.

Also,I've seen the Sony XBR 8 and the PQ is at least as good as the A950 and at least one major website is selling it for about $2,600.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GScott /forum/post/16980956

Personally in a light controlled environment I would talk to Chris at Cleveland Plasma about finding a Pioneer Kuro.

I wish I could afford a Kuro! The V10 has basically been called the successor to the Kuro and at quite a lower price though...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Vinny,

You can afford a Kuro if you have a speaker set up already. I have an older Kuro (5080) and it is really outstanding watching blue ray or playing games(ps3/xbox 360). I would look at getting a KRP-500m (less than 2k) since it is one of the last Kuro's made (comparable to pro-101 elite). I may invest in one since I want to get the 9g elite anyway.

Hope this helps,

Chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts