Audio - M-Audio Delta 410

Optical Drive - Sony DRU-510A

OS - Windows XP Pro

I'm having trouble deciding on a case. Those I'm considering are:

Kanam HT200B

Digitalis Vision II

Silverstone Lascala

Coolermaster ATC-613

and of course the ATech case, but that would have to be really compelling to warrant around $600.

Any guidance or suggestions would be appreciated .... Thanks

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have the digitalis vision ii and love it. If you want a clean case with hidden drives, then this is the case.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I purchased the Dvine4 (same as the Kanam/DIGN4 with a slight difference in faceplate). Here's my observations so far:

Pros:

-Looks nice

-solid construction, all aluminum

-full ATX

-space for a VFD, if you care

-2 full size drive bays

Cons:

-bizare screw sizes (I got a refurb cheap and it had zero screws, it was a pain finding ones that fit)

-door hinge is just flimsy pins

-not perfect, cutouts for USB/Firewire are crooked(no major, but it looks unprofessional)

One observation is that it's LOUD. The only fans I have in the case are a 120mm (Seasonic PSU) and an 80mm Panaflo on the CPU, running at 7v. The fans are almost silent, but the case just seems to amplify any sounds. I can actually hear the idle "whine" of the Barracuda IV, which is by all accounts one of the quietest drives out there.

It's also a very basic case, lacking in some of the little refinements that companies like Coolermaster and Antec put into their cases.

Overall, I would moderately recommend the case, but in the same price range you might consider the Coolermaster, or even the new Antec Overture.

Mike

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for your responses:

mavromatis -- I think I'm now leaning toward the Vision II.

Mjolson -- I appreciate your comments, both pro & con. While the build quality comments put me off the Kanam case somewhat -- the comments regarding noise is a real bother.

I did take a look at the Antec Overture, but the light colored front doesn't appeal to me.

I'll do a little more research before I take the plunge and see if I can get a look at any of the cases here in the Dallas area.

Thanks again ...... Don

·
Registered
900 Posts
Let me list some of the pros/cons for the Vision II.

Pros:

- front panel looks clean with the folding up door cover. I really won't be using the DVD drives, since the plan is to use it as a video/music server. Using the DVD to rip, burn and only play sometimes.

- It comes with a bunch of plexiglass VFD filters... blue, green, red, smoke... the button is RED so I chose the red filter. You can buy different LED buttons to suite your tastes.

- Build quaility is good... the only part that is aluminum is the from panel... which is fine for me... It has nice professional looking silk screened logos (Digital Cinema Audio, Progressive Digital Video, and the Digitalis Vision II logo)

- heavy solid case...

Cons:

- It is hard to get to the hard drives one you put the shelf for the DVD drives.

- Drive bays don't come with blank covers so you need to be creative and either full all the drives bays up... or use a black plastic door bar cover and make it fit. I put a black 3.5" 6-IN-1 Cardreader in the 3.5" slot... the middle drive bay is blank with a cover and the right drive bay has my black DVD drive.

- The case I got didn't come with instuctions... but it was pretty simple to figure out where everything went... maybe they just forgot to pack the instructions...

----

As for sound... I have 6 fans including the Powersupply and CPU... so it's a bit louder than most would like ( have it in a media equipment room, so it's not an issue). You can always put quiter fans, it seems my PS fan is the loudest.

Hope you like it!

Danny

·
Registered
809 Posts
Danny,

Where did you buy your case and how much did you pay for it? I'd like to get a new case and the Vision II looks like it has potential.

·
Registered
900 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Just a follow up to my comment on the DIGN4 design being "loud".

I followed a simple suggestion from the forums over at silentpcreview which is to simply place the hard drive on a piece of foam. I used a cut-up mousepad. This de-couples the drive from the case, and believe it or not, the "whine" is now completely gone.

The downside is that temps on the drive have increased by about 5C (attaching a drive in the traditional manner actually has a heatsink effect). They're well whithin operating temps though. Also, since the drive is just sitting on the mousepad, I have to be carefull when moving the case.

Now, the only thing I hear from the case is the faint clicking of the 120mm fan in the Seasonic Super Tornado.

Mike

·
Registered
495 Posts
It's sad that it seems like the case is the hardest piece. I ended up ordering the Antec because it was the cheapest and I didn't actually like any of them. The Digitalis Vision II is probably my favorite but I don't like the flip up door design and non-standard layout. Just doesn't seem like it should be this hard.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the update Mike -- I'm still waffling and can't make a decision.

I agree with you rtype -- I keep going back and forth. The only case that I've been able to actually see is the CoolerMaster.

I looked at an Antec Sonata(mini tower) today and may just go with that temporairly, until I can make up my mind on the final solution.

I definitely want a desktop sytle case to go into my entertainment center.

I'm pretty sure I want a VFD capability, but I can do that with Matrix Orbital in a 51/4 bay.

Oh well, I'll mull it over for one more week then make a decision. (Hopefully):confused:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Matt for your input on the CoolerMaster case.

Yes, I've seen the Coolermaster case on the Digital Connection web site, but can't find it anywhere else. It is definitely one of the ones I'm interested in.

I've sent Digital Connection two emails with questions regarding their products and can't seem to generate any response.

I'm sure they would respond to an order however.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I too am contemplating the case.....so far, I like the looks of the D Vine 5 Series...seems to be the sharpest looking one so far..I like the idea of not having to flip a cover to get to the DVD/CD player, although according to the site, you have to do some disassembly to your player to have it fit with the cover panel and all...

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Quote:
I've sent Digital Connection two emails with questions regarding their products and can't seem to generate any response.
Hope you're not being filtered out, we've ran into few problems with our e-mail spam filters. I don't know what questions you have about the Coolermaster, but you can always ask here.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Kei for the response, though that wasn't my intent in the prior post.

My original questions emailed to Digital Connections weren't in regard to the Cooler Master case.

I will however ask a question here --- Can the case be ordered without the power supply, or with a different Power Supply (such as the Silverstone 400W).

....... Don

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.