AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, new to the forum and could use some advice before the big sales in a few days.

Sears is running a sale on the Panny, and Best Buy is selling the Sammy on Friday. The Panny get's decent scores in the forum, but is pretty large and bulky, and they only advantage I see to it is a slightly higher contrast ratio. The Sammy is a hundred bucks more then the Panny, but seems to be just a 550 with one less hdmi input, which I won't miss anyway as all my inputs are running into a receiver first then into the tv. The 550 also get's high marks here in the forum, so I'm just not sure which one would be the better choice. The slight price difference means nothing to me, I just want to get the best picture possible for bluray movies like Avatar, and a low lag when playing video games. Any advice or input would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I compared the two and chose the c550. The PQ looked better to my eyes. The biggest difference I noticed was that it seemed to have less noise.

·
Registered
539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDust /forum/post/19536750

I compared the two and chose the c550. The PQ looked better to my eyes. The biggest difference I noticed was that it seemed to have less noise.

I'm no expert but you would probably do better with a 54" Panny G25 ... or that used V10 in the classified... the panny s2 has some issues with glare, black levels etc. Im shopping around myself. I would like vt25 58" but no way in my budget. the S2 seems a bit outdated to me to spend money on.

·
Banned
2,435 Posts
Get the 58 Samsung. Best Buy will give you an easier time if you feel the need to return it than Sears will. Sears will likely charge you a 15% restocking fee, if the Panny doesn't do it for you. The filter on a G25 is not good enough to justify the loss of 4 inches. The blacks on a 58 Sammy C550 are better than the blacks on a G25 anyway. I had both. I don't know if the step-down C500 will have the faster phosphors or not, but my 58C550 had the faster phosphors, and the G25 series does NOT. You have to buy the top of the line VT series to get the reduced phosphor lag with Panasonic, but not with Samsung. My C450 (768p) did not have the faster phosphors, however. The Sammy may buzz if you sit front and center, and not off to the side, but that's why you get it at Best Buy--in case there is a problem.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fschris
I'm no expert but you would probably do better with a 54" Panny G25 ... or that used V10 in the classified... the panny s2 has some issues with glare, black levels etc. Im shopping around myself. I would like vt25 58" but no way in my budget. the S2 seems a bit outdated to me to spend money on.
I am no longer in the market. I have a PN63C7000, PN50C550, and an LN55C630. I am happy with all of them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts