AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
https://i.imgur.com/51mBNbJ.jpg

I just moved into a dream apt above the main entertainment street in my town. The appeal of this apt is the windows looking down at all the people eating, shopping, etc. Anyway, I'll buy blackout curtains so I can watch stuff with these enormous windows.. that's not a problem.

My dilemma is, I get a nice 143" screen from my BenQ3550 between the window borders as you can see. If I put a screen in between, it'll reduce the screen size a handful of inches or whatever it is but that's not the problem. It's more about the look of it and me thinking that if I painted a square of black or whatever the paint to paint with these days is, right in between the window borders.. it'll look pretty good.. almost like an accent wall (as the walls are white in this place and I can't paint them all probably due to it being an enormous task and blah blah. Actually, a screen might reduce it a little more because if I put right against the would borders, I feel like it'd look dumb so I'd think I'd need to move it in an inch on the sides so there'd be some white between the window borders and the screen.

This is my first go at a home theater so I don't know how much better a screen is than the leading paint or borderless option, that's kind of first. Second, I don't really care about watching during daytime or when curtains are open but some ambient light help would be nice if I can get it.

What say you genius folk?

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate it.

(that's an oversized tennis ball for reference lol)

· Registered
634 Posts
Tough question to answer, because you're basically asking, "Will a big grey square look cool?"

I'm not sure I'd agree that it would look like an accent wall. I might be more inclined to get / make a big curtain that would like like it was covering a giant picture window in the middle, and just raise / open it when you want to watch a movie.

I think you're right about losing some size and having the screen boarders right up against the window frames not looking great. But the question is really "What do I like?" And only you can answer that for yourself.

Good problem to have, though. And what a killer location! Congrats!

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Makes sense! Thanks for the input.

I may have put the cart ahead of the wagon a little on this one. I'd generally rather have bigger size at the expense of look since I'm not really entertaining people and just want to watch big ass movies.

I'll take a look at what you suggested! Thanks again!

· Registered
2,201 Posts
^^ I'm with you. I just painted every available inch of wall width/height and that has been my screen for the last 6 years. I couldn't image giving up any of my 151.5" 16:9 or 132" of usable width. :)

· Registered
101 Posts
Retractable screen that even covers part of the windows for an even larger picture!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.