AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before xbox.com web site got redesigned for Kinect interface, I was able to go to the Live membership account membership to disable the auto Gold Live renew.

It appears with Kinect interface on xbox.com web site, the ability to disable auto Gold Live renew is gone under "Membership Options" and "Upgrade/Manage Account". When I go to

Cancel your Xbox LIVE Gold Membership Page Content

Learn how to cancel your Xbox LIVE Gold Membership.

To cancel your Xbox LIVE Gold Membership or to turn off auto-renewal, you need to contact Xbox Support.

To manage your Xbox LIVE account, go to www.xbox.com/accounts .

Important When you disable auto-renewal, your current Xbox LIVE Gold Membership will expire at the end of its term.

Has anyone figure out if the ability to disable auto Gold Live renew is hidden anywhere on xbox.com web site?

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
yeah to turn off auto-renew, you prettymuch have to call. 30 min wait time, but they don't really fight you.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Such a sleezy tactic, but I'm sure it makes them millions from people who don't want to call in.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Wow, that's BS. It was buried before, but now the option is just gone!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
My membership expires at the end of December. What happens if I renew my membership with a 12 month prepaid Xbox live gold card that I purchase on-line somewhere first, vs the auto renew for $59? Will my membership automatically renew my membership for another 12 months at the end of December, so I have a total of 24 months or not automatically renew if I use the prepaid card first?

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson /forum/post/19581598

Such a sleezy tactic, but I'm sure it makes them millions from people who don't want to call in.

I think that's point of removing the ability to disable auto renew on the web site.

I have read several times that some people forgot to call Microsoft before their membership got auto renewed.

For anyone that uses a real credit card (not pre-paid), what happens if you change the credit card billing address to a bogus address? I tried that and it accepted the bogus address.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D /forum/post/19582302

I think that's point of removing the ability to disable auto renew on the web site.

I have read several times that some people forgot to call Microsoft before their membership got auto renewed.

For anyone that uses a real credit card (not pre-paid), what happens if you change the credit card billing address to a bogus address? I tried that and it accepted the bogus address.

I think it's best to disable auto-renew. The last comment on this story is particularly disturbing. Hopefully things have gotten better in the year since it was written (the comment, which was posted almost a year after the original article). This is the first part of that story, which is pretty bad. Read it first, then read the follow-up in my first link that discusses how he got the money refunded and why Xbox Live Billing screwed up so badly (and has supposedly been retrained to not have this happen again). The basic gist is that if you have auto-renew and your card gets declined, your account will eventually get disabled, and if you want to become a gold member again (via CC or pre-paid card, even), or even just silver, you have to pay for the intervening time it was in a declined state.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foosinho /forum/post/19582593

I hate this kind of crap. Don't make me have to call to reduce my level of service. Shady and annoying.

Definitely agreed. I canceled my Tivo service the other day, and they have got to be one of the most pain in the ass companies I've ever dealt with when it comes to canceling. I can only imagine how bad it would be if they offered multiple levels of service.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The most interesting part about this is Microsoft already write the code on the xbox.com to have the ability to turn off the auto renew. So, it's not the question of Microsoft having to add the button. Did Microsoft give any explaination why the ability to turn off auto renew suddenly disappeared?

It's very obvious why Microsoft removed the ability to turn off the auto renew. Make it as easy to sign up for subscription service and then make it as tedious as possible to cancel the service. If Microsoft really try to be nice, why make auto renew always enforced when signing up for Gold Live? Shouldn't the auto renew button be optional when signing up for Gold Live?

Obvious reasons:

1. Gamers who only want to sign up for the Gold Live for a short team such as $1/month promotional.

2. Existing Gold Live subscribers that is planning to cancel the Gold subscription.

3. By making it more effort to cancel the auto renew, some gamers will forget to call Microsoft on-time to cancel until after their subscription already auto renewed.

4. Having gamers call Microsoft customer service to cancel their Gold subscription means the customer service can try to talk the gamers out from canceling by offering something to stay on.

5. Some gamers just don't want to pick up the phone to call Microsoft customer service.

If you do call Microsoft customer service, make you know the credit card you used to sign up for the Gold Live. Once I called them but didn't have the credit card with me and they refused to cancel my subscription. So, it became two calls to the customer service.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D /forum/post/19582302

Don't do this.

A number of years ago I went to cancel my xbl gold and didn't want to call in (before the options were avail on xbox.com) and I thought I would be fine by changing the expiry date on my credit card to something fake. No charges went through but they basically renewed anyways and my xbl account went into the negative. I am assuming if you leave this long enough they will send collectors after you. It didn't go that far for me since I renewed a few months later anyways and realized what they did (and only got 8-9 months of time for my annual payment).

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson /forum/post/19585432

Don't do this.

A number of years ago I went to cancel my xbl gold and didn't want to call in (before the options were avail on xbox.com) and I thought I would be fine by changing the expiry date on my credit card to something fake. No charges went through but they basically renewed anyways and my xbl account went into the negative. I am assuming if you leave this long enough they will send collectors after you. It didn't go that far for me since I renewed a few months later anyways and realized what they did (and only got 8-9 months of time for my annual payment).

Thanks for the info. I'll have to call Microsoft to cancel mine.

Microsoft rather pay to have more work for their customer service to handle this than using the web site to do the same thing. My guess is they probably found too many gamers canceled the Gold Live when they provided the web site to do it which is why they disabled the function.

For someone that only care about subscribing to Gold Live when needed, it's also not good for the business because they don't get 12 months/year subscriber. I buy certain discount membership for the certain stores. Whenever my membership expires, I don't renew it immediately because if I don't plan to buy anything that can use the discount for several months, why renew it immediately and waste the months that I don't use it? Of course, the store salesman will keep trying to tell me I must renew now. My response is why do I want to waste the unused months? Subscription service is all about trying to lock the customers in 365 days.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson /forum/post/19585432

Don't do this.

A number of years ago I went to cancel my xbl gold and didn't want to call in (before the options were avail on xbox.com) and I thought I would be fine by changing the expiry date on my credit card to something fake. No charges went through but they basically renewed anyways and my xbl account went into the negative.

something similar happened to me. i had something on auto-renew earlier this year, and the expiration date on my old card was expired, and without me updating the new expiration date they billed me anyway and it went through because the debit card number was the same. i was a little pissed because i actually didn't want it to get renewed, and though that by not updating the expiration date that it wouldn't go through, but it wasn't that much and i did learn from my mistake...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Since once you put a CC in it stays there basically forever, what I did after I initially put mine in and noticed this was went in through the XBOX and changed the expiration date on my CC to a wrong one and they can't charge the card.

Worked for me going on 3yrs.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D
Update:

Found the answer. The ability of disabling auto renew has been removed from xbox.com web site. Microsoft probably try to discourage disabling auto renew again.

http://forums.xbox.com/35137069/ShowPost.aspx

Good thing I used a pre-paid credit card which I plan to not to have enough balance when Gold Live tries to renew.
I had to call support to take care of this. For some reason, auto-renew kept initiating itself even after I'd repeatedly turned it off.

Anyhow, the only way apparently to get your CC off of their system is to let your membership expire, then call them again, then using pre-paid cards.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
This topic has been discussed multiple times before around here. I reported my CC stolen and got a new one with a different # and that solved the problem for me.

·
Registered
775 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 /forum/post/19589701

You guys are making a headache out of nothing. Just use the pre-paid XBL cards, problem solved. No need to store a CC with MS and you can avoid issues like this.

No! You know what happens when that prepaid card (or 1 month trial) expires and you lapse? MS charges your card again. It's a sleazy BS tactic to remove the option from the site just when they are about to get a whole new batch of new users.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliDog /forum/post/19589884

No! You know what happens when that prepaid card (or 1 month trial) expires and you lapse? MS charges your card again. It's a sleazy BS tactic to remove the option from the site just when they are about to get a whole new batch of new users.

An XBL card, not a credit card. Go to BB or Amazon or whatever, buy a card, use it. Problem solved.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts