AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this isn't perceived as excessive posting on the forums, but I wanted to put this in the Plasma section, in addtion to the HD Hardware section, since it may be TV related, not source related. This is from the other thread:
Quote:
I could be going crazy, but I swear that a week ago I didn't have this problem. One of my favorite shows is "Frasier" and I record it every night on my DTV HR21-700. It is connected via HDMI to my Panasonic TH50PZ700U. I record it off of the "HD" UPN, though the show is not in HD. I used to switch my TV to the "Just" aspect to eliminate the black bars on the left and right side. Now, when I go through all of the aspect settings on my TV, NOTHING fills the screen. In fact, "Just" moves the picture in slightly. This is true of all HD channels that are showing anything NOT in 16:9. What gives?
Here is the link to the other thread . Any input is GREATLY appreciated.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Do you have the Hr-21 resolution set to 720 or 1080? If you do it will upconvert it too be that rez (full screen with black bars) and the plasma cannot extend the picture because the HR-21 is sending a 720 or 1080 full hd picture.

You can change this by selecting native rez in the option menus of the D-TV DVR.

Thats the only thing I could think of.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have it set to display 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i. I don't think it's with the TV, I just think that the TV "thinks" that it is adjusting to fill the screen, but the signal has those damn bars in it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Those bars could be enabled in your receiver settings, and not the TV itself.

Edit: check aspect controls on the receiver and/or receiver remote.

·
Registered
883 Posts
It's a problem with the DirecTV box. Because it's an HD channel, your TV thinks its getting full 16:9 content so it acts accordingly, even though it's actually only 4:3 content on a HD channel. There are ways to manipulate the "Format" of the D* HD receiver (it's the Format Button) in conjunction with the Aspect button on the TV that will get you to at least close to where you want to go to get rid of the 4:3 pillar bars. There's more info in the 700U owner's thread starting here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post12957130

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: I figured out the issue. I had to cycle through the "format" options with the format button on the directv remote. No idea how I changed it without my knowing. Full answer is in the orginal thread linked in post #1 if anyone is interested.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts