AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've come to the only Forum I trust to help me solve my latest problem.

I recently bought my first digital camera. My photos were copied from the camera card to my computer. Then I copied selected photos on a CDRW disc for 2 reasons. First, so that I could take it to the drug store to develop hard copies. Second, so I could play the disc on my Philips 3576, but when I tried, I got an error message that said, “Please eject disc. Playback feature may not be available on this disc.”

Next, I copied my photos to a DVD-R disc. I use these when copying programs from my HDD, but got the SAME error message when attempting to play it on my Philips 3576.

According to the “Help and Support” menu on my computer, discs have to be “closed” (finalized) before they could be played on other players. These are the instructions and results:

1. To close a disc manually : Right click the drive icon that represents your writeable drive, and then click CLOSE SESSION. Once the disc is ejected, the session will be closed and the disc can be used in other computers and devices. If you remove a disc from your computer without closing the disc session, you can close it at a later time. Just return it to the computer’s disc burner and follow the steps above to close the session. I followed the instructions, but THERE WAS NO OPTION TO “CLOSE SESSION.”

2. To close a disc automatically: Press the EJECT button on your computer’s disc drive. Windows automatically closes the current session. This consumes 20 megabytes of disc space and can take several minutes. I pressed the EJECT button, but the disc ejected immediately rather than “several minutes.”

My computer is a Dell Inspiron 530, 32 bit OS and Service Pack 2. Both my computer and my Philips 3576 are less than 3 years old. I am very technically challenged (70 years old, but trying to learn). What else can I do to finalize my disc???

Thanks, Nana B

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
 You can try this procedure.

However, it sounds like the disc WAS closed by the computer, which would prevent that procedure from working and indicate some other problem.

Try the linked procedure first.

One thing that comes to mind is Progressive Scan (PS)... these DVDRs will NOT play jpegs if they've been created/saved in PS format, as stated in this note in the manual:

Progressive JPEG files (JPEG files saved in progressive

format) cannot be played back on this unit.

·
Registered
506 Posts
There may be two different types of "close" here. One closes the session. The other finalizes the DVD. When you close a session, you are not finalizing the disc. You are just allowing the computer to release access to that disk so you can remove it from the computer. This also allows you to put it back into the computer and add more data. When you finalize a disc, you can no longer add anything else to it.

Instead of looking for "close a session" you may need to look for a "make playable in another device" option.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for responding Woja.

When I took the disc to the drugstore, it displayed and developed my photos. The disc displays my photos on my PC as well. It just won’t cooperate in my Philips 3576. I think it’s because the disc needs to be closed while in my PC. I did follow the instructions on my PC (To close a disc manually / automatically) as described in my original post and it didn’t work, so I don’t understand why you said that it looks like my disc WAS closed by my computer.

I think the link, “TO FINALIZE A DISC,” that you gave me are instructions for finalizing a disc that was recorded ONLY on my 3576 and not for a disc that was recorded (burned?) on my PC. I did try - before coming to this Forum, and again just now - putting my photo disc in the disc drive on my recorder, and clicking the SETUP button while the disc was loading, but the EDIT DISC option was grayed out and then the error message appeared.

Sorry to be so dumb, but I don’t know what you mean by:

One thing that comes to mind is Progressive Scan (PS)... these DVDRs will NOT play jpegs if they've been created/saved in PS format, as stated in this note in the manual:

• Progressive JPEG files (JPEG files saved in progressive

Do you think it would do any good to use a DVD-RW disc and try again, even tho I already copied my photos on a CD disc AND a DVD-R disc?

Thanks again,

Nana B

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana B
When I took the disc to the drugstore, it displayed and developed my photos. The disc displays my photos on my PC as well. It just won't cooperate in my Philips 3576. I think it's because the disc needs to be closed while in my PC. I did follow the instructions on my PC (To close a disc manually / automatically) as described in my original post and it didn't work, so I don't understand why you said that it looks like my disc WAS closed by my computer.
I was just explaining one reason the finalize procedure I linked to might not work, i.e., the procedure requires an unfinalized disc... you wouldn't be able to do Step 2 of the procedure (record 6 sec or so) if the disc is actually finalized.

Quote:
I think the link, TO FINALIZE A DISC, that you gave me are instructions for finalizing a disc that was recorded ONLY on my 3576 and not for a disc that was recorded (burned?) on my PC. I did try - before coming to this Forum, and again just now - putting my photo disc in the disc drive on my recorder, and clicking the SETUP button while the disc was loading, but the EDIT DISC option was grayed out and then the error message appeared.
No, that procedure is only for discs created in a different recorder. It might not work for a computer-produced DVD, but it's worth a try.

Quote:
Sorry to be so dumb, but I don't know what you mean by:

Progressive JPEG files (JPEG files saved in progressive

When you Save pics, the computer usually gives you options for what format you want to save the pics in. The most common is plain jpeg or jpg, but there could be others... which might just confuse this subject, so let's assume you selected plain "jpg" or "jpeg" format when you saved the pics.

Quote:
Do you think it would do any good to use a DVD-RW disc and try again, even tho I already copied my photos on a CD disc AND a DVD-R disc?
I don't think a RW disc would make any diff.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Nana B, you may have simply run into an unsolvable compatibility problem with your 3576 recorder and your JPEG discs.
Mfrs love to promote features like "play JPEGs on your TV!!", but seldom make clear such features are FAR more limited in DVD recorders than they are in computers or dvd players. I have run into such issues many times myself, with various brands of recorder, that say they will play computer files but then fail to recognize the disc or can't play some or all of the files on it. In one such case, I discovered by trial and error that I needed to run all my JPEGs thru an "optimizing" feature buried three levels deep in a photo viewing program before my main DVD recorder would display them. Ridiculous, and had to find out myself after weeks of aimless Google research.

Have you considered copying those photos onto a USB "thumb drive"? Sometimes a recorder that can't handle photos on a CD or DVD will successfully play those same photos from a USB stick. If you don't have one, just go to Staples or any electronics store, they cost as little as $7. Worth a try, since the 3576 instruction manual does indicate it can play photos from a USB stick. Good luck!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey CITIBEAR:

Sounds like a perfect solution and so easy that I must ask: Am I right to assume that I could download the photos from my PC to a thumb drive, and then insert the thumb drive in my 3576 to playback? There is nothing else to buy? WOW - sounds too good to be true! Is there anything else I need to know or to do?? MANY THANKS!!

Nana B

·
Registered
506 Posts
What camera are you using? You may just need a USB card reader that you can put your camera card in and plug that into the USB port of the 3575. You can avoid the computer altogether. Your local store can also take the photos off of that card, unless you wanted a duplicate CD of the pictures. Also knowing the camera may help to see what format it is capturing the pictures in. If the camera itself is putting it in a progressive format, then the camera settings may need to be changed.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Yes, generally all you need to do is copy your photos onto the USB thumb drive, then plug it into your 3576 USB port and follow the instructions of your recorder to view.

timtofly brings up an important point: depending on the camera and how you have it set up, it may be creating pictures in a format the recorder can't make sense of (as mentioned earlier, dvd recorders are very limited in their handling of formats). My first thought was the same as his: to recommend you attach a USB card reader to your Phillips 3576, and play the camera card directly. But on second thought, theres a small possibility the recorder could accidentally mess up the pictures on the camera card if it doesn't understand them. It probably wouldn't, but its better to be safe if you want to keep the original photos on the card for some reason. Making a backup copy to a cheap reusable thumb drive is just an extra safety precaution, but if you already have the originals backed up on CDs then its no problem: try a card reader as timtofly proposed.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For Citibear & timetofly:

My camera is a Canon PowerShot A470.

Is the memory card in my camera another name for a “thumb drive?”

If yes, then all I need to do is insert my camera card into my 3576 and it will play?

If that doesn't work, then I should insert my camera card into a card reader and then insert into my 3576 and it will play?

I’m anxious to show my children’s families my photos on the TV during the holidays.

My next hope is to copy photos to CD’s for each family member so they can play it on their recorders. I learned how to copy photos to CD’s, but am now trying to solve the problem - with your help - of making the CD’s playable on my 3576.

Is it possible that: If my camera's memory card is in a card reader and inserted into my 3576, that I can record my photos on a DVD like I do TV shows?? I HOPE SO!!

Thanks for your patience and understanding for this unknowledgeable great-grandma!

Nana B.

·
Registered
506 Posts
There may be some good news if you still have the original cables that came with the camera. There is an AV cable that can hook up to the yellow and red/white connections on the front of the 3576. You have to change the input on the 3576 to the front. This also will allow you to record to the hard drive. If you go the route of the USB reader, the player will only show the pictures. It will not record them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To timetofly:

I’m SOOOO excited! Yes, I have the original cables (saved them cuz they looked “important” - - smile).

Tell me if I’m understanding the procedure.

First, change input on 3576. [ The remote doesn’t have a button that indicates “input.” ] So how do I change it, and what do I change it to?

Leave memory card in camera. Use cable to connect camera to 3576. Will a menu appear to prompt me to download or does it do it automatically?

After download to HDD completes, will a menu appear to let me crop / fix red eye, etc. my photos before copying to the DVD? If yes, then I couldn’t ask for a better solution. This will be absolutely amazing! I’m assuming that I can copy to as many DVD’s as I need and all will have the same quality. Yes?

Nana B

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana B /forum/post/19533813

First, change input on 3576. [ The remote doesn't have a button that indicates input. ] So how do I change it, and what do I change it to?

The SOURCE button toggles between the various inputs.

·
Registered
506 Posts
With your camera off, plug in the AV cable with the single end. Then plug in the Yellow jack into the the yellow jack behind the door on the front of the 3576. Like DigaDo said, use the Source button top left on the remote. Turn on the Camera and put it into play (blue arrow?) mode. If you have any sound with your pictures, I think the red jack is for sound. Otherwise , you just need the yellow. There is a slide show option on the camera. Make sure the 3576 is on Hard drive record and whenever you are ready hit record. Whatever you see on the TV screen is recording, so there may be stuff at the beginning and end that you may not want. Depending on how many pictures you have it may cycle through them a couple of times. When you think that you have recorded enough, then press stop on the 3576 remote. This should create an entry that shows the pictures playing on the hard drive of the 3576. You can then copy this onto a DVD.

Basically in a nut shell you are creating your own show. If you want the pictures to be on the screen longer you can manually cycle through them at your own speed. This process does not transfer the pictures to the 3576. It just makes a copy of what you are seeing on both the camera screen and the TV screen. If there are any icons on the camera screen, they will also appear on the recording you make. If this is confusing, we will try to answer any questions you have.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana B /forum/post/19533813

After download to HDD completes, will a menu appear to let me crop / fix red eye, etc. my photos before copying to the DVD? If yes, then I couldn't ask for a better solution. This will be absolutely amazing!

Not quite. The 3576 does not have any photo retouching features at all, as timtofly says you will simply be recording the slide show output from your camera. Once you have it on your 3576 HDD, you can trim away the camera symbols and perhaps re-arrange a couple things, but essentially you need to have the pictures set up in the camera exactly as you want them to appear on the DVD. Any cropping, red-eye correction, etc. need to be done in-camera beforehand.

Quote:
I'm assuming that I can copy to as many DVD's as I need and all will have the same quality. Yes?

Yes, the recorder will assume the slide show is a video just like one it would record off the TV (which is basically true). As long as you leave the slide show on your 3576 HDD, you can dub another exact DVD copy any time you like.

Hope you can pull it off for Thursday!
Bet your family will be VERY impressed with your ingenuity!

P.S. in case you're in a hurry, I'll answer for DigaDo
: you need to select LINE2 as the input for the front panel connection.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
THANKS ALLOT timetofly,

It sure sounds easy --- I can’t try it out till Friday (holiday prep). I’ll be THRILLED if I get it right without having more questions : ) Meanwhile, just 1 more question:

Can I use the SCENE DELETE feature to delete unwanted photos?

HAPPY THANKSGIVING : )

Nana B.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Citibear,

I didn’t know you could crop, etc. on the camera. I’ll study the manual ASAP so I can be prepared to show my photos to the family for Christmas. It’s too late for Thanksgiving cuz I’ll be cooking, cleaning till then - smile. Yes, I’m SURE my family will be impressed, but I’ll give all the credit to those who helped me on this forum!!! HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL OF YOU!

Nana B

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.